PDA

View Full Version : Blender Pen information

ctinyjoy
10-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I have just read the Oct Rubberstamper magazine and on page 25 is a one page article on blender pens. I thought some of you newbies could benefit from the article. I have been using a blender pen for over 2 years, but just read that the correct way to store it is horizontally. Nobody ever told me that! I always stored it in my pencil case with the larger tip facing down so that one stayed wet :(

Basically the article states that it doesn't matter what brand you use, they all work the same way. Yes the tip will get discolored, it won't affect your future work. Make sure after you change colors that you are blending, that you rub the tip until the old color fades away and the pen is running clear. If you use a blender pen on chalks and Pearl Ex, you do not need to spray a fixative to seal it, the blending solution will do that for you.

Another thing that I learned from the article is that you are using watercolor pencils, you don't have to color in the stamped image first. I was always taught to color the image in and then go over with the blender pen to smooth it out. This article said to use a scrap piece of paper to scribble the pencils on and let the blender pen pick up the color and transfer it to the image. I will have to try this methold out later.

I hope these tips will help some of you out.

Cheri

GrammaStamper
10-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Great info, Cheri, thanks for sharing. I just got my blender pen and will have to try these tips. As for storing, I always laid it flat, but will change that now.

Barb

Lisa
10-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Great info for newbie and oldies alike! I use watercolor pencils alot and will definately try that method. Has anyone ever made their own blending pen solution? Share recipies if you have pleeeezzzze I would love to try that!
Lisa K

lost luggage
10-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Great info, Cheri, thanks for sharing. I just got my blender pen and will have to try these tips. As for storing, I always laid it flat, but will change that now.

Barb

Storing it flat is horizontal... ;)

I think I also read that people use this with markers. I ha ve not used my markers for anything yet, but I am going to try it soon. I love to use my pen with the watercolor pencils. :)

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Great info for newbie and oldies alike! I use watercolor pencils alot and will definately try that method. Has anyone ever made their own blending pen solution? Share recipies if you have pleeeezzzze I would love to try that!
Lisa K

Here you go:

I have not had to use this recipe yet. I have pulled the brush tip out of the pen casing, just to see for myself. Be sure to get a good hold at the base of the tip and pull slowly. When wiping off inbetween picking up colors or going in for another swipe of color, I like to brush the tip lightly back & forth on a diaper wipe or soft wet cloth. This seems to keep the tip refreshed.

Here's the recipe:

Blender fluid:
1/3 part Glycerin (usually found in pharmacy in a brown bottle)
( ex: 2 tsp)
2/3 part Distilled Water (Must be Distilled!)
( ex: 4 tsp)
1/4 tsp. Rubbing Alcohol

Directions:

1. If you gently grab hold of the tip of your blender pen (the brush itself) at the base (don't grab the very tip or you can smush it) and pull with firmly, the brush will slide out.
2. Add a few drops of the liquid to the Pen. More is not better in this instance, as too much liquid will result in a runny mess.
3. Replace the tip.
4. Lay Pen on its side overnight.

After making this, use some to flush out your old tip to clean it, before putting it into you blender.

Just an fyi, using your blender pens with chalks will tend to make them dry out more quickly.

HTH!
Jane

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-14-2006, 01:11 PM
I usually lay all of my markers and pens horizontally. You will notice that when you go into a lss, their markers and pens are usually displayed horizontally. SU's markers come in a horizontal storage case to help keep the markers inked evenly.

Jane

teabear
10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't color images much except with twinks. I never like how they look, I think I know the secret now. Can you buy blender pens at the big craft stores? I'll look next time I'm there.

lost luggage
10-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't color images much except with twinks. I never like how they look, I think I know the secret now. Can you buy blender pens at the big craft stores? I'll look next time I'm there.

Yes...They are a coupon item for sure..I think mine was about $6.99 or so at Michael's.

MidwestStamper
10-14-2006, 07:45 PM
I just casually picked up my Oct. Rubber Stamper mag now, and it opened right up to this Blender Pen article!

What stood out for me is that it said that you don't need to use a fixative for chalk if you've picked up the color with a blender pen.

I really like using my blender pen with watercolor pencils. It gives such a soft look.
--Lidia

Lisa
10-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Thank you so much for the recipe. I'll go to the drug store tomorrow and pick up supplies, and let you know how it turns out.
Lisa K

inkinupstamps
10-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks from me too for the recipe. I tried it a long time ago without much success, but I don't recall adding the alcohol and that probably was the problem. I just bought a new blending pen yesterday at Michael's, but after this one is 'ka-put' I will try the recipe again.

Thanks for great tips! :)

stampcrazyjulie
10-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Such great info Ladies! I have not yet used my Blender Pen or Watercolor Pencils for that matter, so this thread is exactly what I needed! Thanks Cheri, & Jane for the tips & info! You Gals are the best! :)