PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor pencil users - a question I have.

inkinupstamps
11-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I absolutely love my Prismacolor Pencils. In fact, I've asked Santa (oops, I believe Santa would say I've TOLD him) that for Christmas I want the biggest set as well as any supplimental sets of prismacolor pencils there are. Right now I only have 24 and it just isn't enough! LOVE 'EM!

OK, my question for you seasoned pencil-ers...do you like the fine lead ones better? The reason I'm asking is that I think I might prefer those, but I have the regular "lead" ones. Does anyone use the fine point ones? If so, do you prefer them or not prefer them at all? I'm just thinking that they'd be so much easier for detail.

Please let me know if you've used the fine point ones what you think of them. THANKS!:)

Erin K
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I think you are talking about the "verithin" pencils they have, they have a finer harder lead. I do not love them. They don't go on the paper as easily and smoothly. I have a small pack. When I bought the huge pack of 120 regular pencils it came with a 12 pack of the verithin. I almost never use them. I find I get a good enough point with the regular. I also don't think the verithin come in as many pretty colors as the regular.

I hope santa brings you tons of pencils, they are great.

inkinupstamps
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I have an expensive (and what I thought was a good one) pencil sharpener but it just eats my pricey prismas up! One colour in particular just seems to appeal to the sharpener because it chews it up and breaks the lead. Should I just be using an inexpensive small hand sharpener? HELP!:rolleyes:

Erin K
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm lazy and just use my electric shapener. You should not though it eats them. You go in the art section, where the pencils are and get a METAL handheld shapener, just like the plastic ones we got in school, only metal, it should be like $3. That's the best thing for them. Other than that make sure you go straight into the sharpener, don't think you can get a better point by putting it at a slight angle, they are softer than real lead and will just break if you do that.

lost luggage
11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
The set I just bought came with a sharpener. :)

(I got the 48 pack with this weeks' 50% M's coupon.)

Erin K
11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
that big ole 120 set I have might have come with a sharpener too

1of2shoes
11-10-2006, 01:58 AM
the Prisma leads break is because the pencil has been dropped. The lead breaks inside the pencil and no matter how you sharpen it, it will continue to break. Be careful with your pencils when you use them, too. I tend to kind of toss them on the desk when I'm working with them and that fractures the leads as well. The leads are soft because they contain wax. I do use the electric (battery operated) sharpener and it seems to work fine for me - not eating up the pencils too badly.

inkinupstamps
11-10-2006, 06:19 AM
You are the queen of prismacolor pencils! I hadn't thought about if the pencils had been dropped. You never know what happens to supplies at the store either prior to one's purchase.

Do you use the fine "lead" pencils in your detail work? I haven't purchased any yet but I wondered about those too.

Thanks again...:)