PDA

View Full Version : Remember Drive-in Movies??

Patty
05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, tonight my dd and I are taking my grandsons to one. It's about an hour away, but I think it's worth it. They have never been to one. When Ellie and I grew up there was one very near our house. We could see the movie screen from one of the upstairs windows. (but no sound). So, we've packed a cooler and we're leaving shortly! 2 movies --Spiderman 3 and Are we done yet?. $8 adults, children under 12 $4. Want to join us??;)

iloveflipflops
05-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to join you. I remember drive-in movies. As kids, we would all get in our jammies and pile into my mom & dad's huge club van :). The good ole days!!! Have fun!!

Spartymom
05-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I'd love to join you too. What fun those were. I remember watching the first star wars from our bedroom window (no sound, just like you) at a drive in that was close by. have fun.

hbpuppy
05-12-2007, 05:20 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. Our old drive-in is now a walmart. Big bummer for us. Have fun. Enjoy!

Swanie78
05-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Ive lived in this town nearly 7 years and every spring/summer I say Im going to go to the drive in thats about 2 miles away.....never happens...lol
Have a GREAT time though!
My mom used to pop a TON of popcorn, put it in a paper bag and then throw a 6 pack of pop in a cooler and wed bring it along ;) I remember being sooo embarrassed about it thinking we were going to get in trouble....lol Didnt stop me from eating the popcorn though!

teabear
05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Fond memories....I remember seeing the Jungle Book there as a kid. Then as a teen, we would all pile into the back of a huge camper to see Animal House for as long as it played there...we paid by the carload :)

ellie
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I remember being able to see the screen while floating in the pool in the back yard. Too bad you couldn't tune in by radio in those days!
My first memory of the drive-in was going to see 101 Dalmations (the original of course) in my jammies. We had a station wagon and we would put our pillows and blankets in the back and watch....ahhh those were the days!

cindi
05-12-2007, 10:22 PM
as a young kid I would always go in my jammies & fall asleep.
LOL
as a teenager I loved to go & walk around visiting my friends that were there with their families.
Great memories for sure!
:)

My3Ds
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM
drive-ins were the best! How bout Herbie the Love Bug or any of the Disney movies with Kurt Russell? The Apple Dumpling Gang? Escape from Witch Mountain (not one of my faves). etc.... Do you remember the spiral incense burner you put on the dash to keep the mosquitos away?

kerry
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I LOVE drive-in's! I remember going to them with a HUGE bag of popcorn and sitting in the back of the station wagon with a blanket. It was so fun! I think there is still one operating in Mason City but I haven't been to one in FOREVER!

That seems pretty cheap too for two movies (and the Superman one would be so cool outside on a big screen!)

Kerry

maxiesmom
05-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm so bummed that they have gone away, at least around here they have. What fun they were! Loved the drive in.

loobylou
05-13-2007, 02:48 AM
We have a drive- in theatre at the holiday town we visit in the summer. I have friends who live close-by so that is something we can do together. I loved it as a kid and as a young dating hangout- they were all year round then, not just a summer treat- ahhh the good old days
sarah

workin4stamps
05-13-2007, 02:53 AM
I love going to the Drive-In!! We are lucky!! We have one real close to us. We like to go a lot in the summertime. It is a lot of fun!!!!! I hope you had a great time!!!

Traci

MyRnAbS
05-13-2007, 05:32 AM
I remember :spinny: We used to have one as well!! I remember going once, and it was a spanish movie :err:

Patty
05-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Drive in was fun last night--about an hour away. By the time we were driving 10 minutes they started with "are we almost there--what exit do we need?" They were awake for the whole thing and fell asleep on the way home. We only stayed for one movie--my dd and I were too tired!!

Kreative Dryve
05-13-2007, 06:42 PM
We have a drive-in about 60 miles away, and it's only open during the summer.
I loved to go to them when I was younger, and would still if I had one closer.
Nothing better than a drive-in movie with family.
Have lots of fun!
~MJ

suzi_f
05-14-2007, 07:41 AM
I remember seeing the first Star Wars at a drive-in too!

We have a drive-in an hour away from us too. 2 years ago, we took the kids to see Batman Begins (for ds) and Bewitched (for dd, she was dissappointed). Since it's soooo far away & started so late, we stayed in a hotel nearby (dh gets lots of free hotel points!) We took our stir-crazy popcorn popper & popped popcorn in our room before we left. I'm sure it drove some of the other guest nuts smelling home-made (sorta) popcorn. DS made it thru Batman (but I don't think he understood any of it) and dd watched all of Bewitched. I fell asleep during BOTH movies. Man, I'm getting OLD!! We paid by the carload, it was pretty stinking cheap!

Firecracker
05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
We still have a drive-in about 5 miles from our house, if that. We still love going. We try to go a few times in the summer. It is so much fun. Hugs, Heather