PDA

View Full Version : its needy shug, again...(long)

shuggy
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
i'm afraid i have some bad news and need some happy thoughts headed my way. and my brother's way, and my grandma's way. my brother first. he has been having problems with kidney stones for about 6 months or so. last week he was having an especially raunchy (not that kind, sarah!) bout and ended up going to the emergency room cause he was having so much pain and thought he might be having chest pain. well they did a bunch of test and come to find out his calcium levels were critically high. so they did a bunch more test because they thought maybe he was having a heart attack (he's 39).

well, luckily his heart was fine, just under a lot of stress from the high calcium. so they sent him home and referred him to an internal med doc that he saw on monday (of last week). she did more tests and called him on tuesday and said she was referring him to an endocrinologist because there is something wrong with his parathyroid and maybe his thyroid. so they scheduled him for june something. well, they called back on wednesday and said he needed to come in on thursday during the doctors lunch break because they had test and lab results back from the internal med doc and he couldn't wait until june to be seen.

so he went in to see the endocrinologist and the nurse was waiting for him when he checked in. she took him down and immediately schedule surgery to have his parathyroid and possibly his thyroid out for may 29 (next friday). he hadnt' even met the doctor yet. then they went in to talk to her and she looked at them and said, "you are critically ill, your levels of calcium are so high, you should not have been released from the emergency room. your heart could stop at any time, especially if you add any more stress to it (like this is helping). we are going to try and get you in to see the surgeon next week and move your surgery up to may 25 (this friday). your glands are producing abnormally high levels of pth (a hormone level) and are causing your body to pull the calcium from your bones. which explains the kidney stones and you feeling rotten." my brother just was in shock. he had an ultrasound of his thyroid and there was a huge shadow that is probably a big nasty mass.

well long story short (too late) ...they called him back today, he's meeting the surgeon tomorrow and is having surgery on wednesday (day after tomorrow). they told him it can't wait any longer. me being the little sister and the nurse (ignorance is bliss sometimes) is FREAKING out. but i can't let him know that. i'm so scared to death.

then my grandma is having a knee replaced on friday. she is 83 and the sweetest thing you could ever imagine. i hope it all goes well.

and finally me...i'm still trying to figure out what the cause of my stinking nausea is. i'm having a head/brain ct next week to see if there is anything compressing my brain somewhere and another procedure that looks at the way my stomach empties. so please think happy thoughts that the head/brain ct is normal. i can deal with the other thing not being ok, but not my brain.

sorry i'm so needy right now and can use any good karma out there.

thanks, i appreciate you all so much.

iloveflipflops
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh Angie ... here is a great big hug from NORTH CAROLINA!! You poor thing!! I will pray all will be fine. You sure have alot to deal with right now. Keep us posted!

MyRnAbS
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Prayers on their way!! Keep your chin up everything has to be okay!!

maxiesmom
05-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh my gosh! Great big hugs and tons of prayers coming right now!! I will keep a good thought for everyone.

Firecracker
05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi Angie,

You definitely have my prayers coming your way. Please keep us posted. I'm also sending you a great big hug! Hugs, Heather

jazzypurple853
05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
prayers and hugs coming your way

ellie
05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Angie, I will be praying for all of you. I am so sorry that everything is so stressful for you. Please keep us informed.

shuggy
05-21-2007, 07:26 PM
um, i thought if i made it through last week, all would be well?? why didn't i get the memo that it was going to continue???

dreis1
05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
My daughter had her thyroid out in December, and her calcuim levels dropped too low. She said to watch if his face starts tingles/twitch, it could be the levels have dropped too low. Will keep all of you in our prayers. Glinda

GrammaStamper
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Angie, huge hugs from me. I will keep positive thoughts and send prayers for you and your family. Hang on, Angie, all will be okay.

cindi
05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
you poor dear! thats a ton of stuff to deal with at once!!!!
(((HUGS)))
Prayers are coming your way from me to you & your family.:heart:

mjbonoan
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh Shuggy I'm so sorry to hear what you all are going through. I will say a special prayer for all of you. Your brothers doctor should have been more tactful instead of adding more to his stress...

(((hugs))) to you!!

directmailscrapper
05-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Angie, as tough as it is to be dealing with so much right now, at least they found out about your brother's problem before it was too late to do anything about it! We'll keep you in our prayers. Nancy

Deborah
05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh my GOSH Angie, I'd be JUST as worried if this were MY big brother! Thank God they figured this all out and have scheduled surgery so quickly. Please update us when you hear after his surgery.

Sending positive thoughts and God-blesses to you and your big brother.

RDRD4
05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Prayers and Hugs for you and your family

Clarissa
05-21-2007, 11:08 PM
You have way too much on your plate right now. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tantalize
05-22-2007, 12:13 AM
BIG BIG hugs to you angie! I am sure that everyone in your family is a fighter and that everyone will be perfectly fine after their surgeries. Will be keeping your family in my thoughts and I hope your nausea passes soon.

mydogstinks2
05-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Sending you huge hugs. It will get better. Just keep your spirts up you know us sisters have to be the ones that keep the family going!

ccstampin12
05-22-2007, 07:34 AM
You poor sweet thing!
I will just make this brief, and send positive thoughts and prayers your way. Do keep us posted on you, your brother and gramma!
HUGS
Joanie

gigibee
05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Angie sending prayers and hugs for all of you at this time. I'm glad they were able to move so quickly for your brother, but know this has added more stress for all of you.

Konnie

tesschap
05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Angie - I'm sending you hugs and prayers too. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Hugs,

teabear
05-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Angie, I am so very sorry to hear all of this news. I can't even imagine how worried you are. I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers this week. Please let us know how things go for your brother tomorrow. Big hugs to you.

buggainok
05-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Gosh, it's that rains and it pours thing! So sorry you have to feel punk and then worry about your loved ones, too.

Hope all goes well for your brother and grandma and that you find out what's going on as well and get to feeling like yourself again soon.