PDA

View Full Version : Using alcohol inks on glass ornaments

Far North
11-10-2006, 09:40 PM
'Tis the season to make ornaments and I have been asked for details on making the glass balls I made last year~

I dab 3 colors of alcohol ink on the outside. Water is added to white glue to achieve a runny consistency. Add either glitter or holographic embossing powder to glue poured inside the ornament and coat thoroughly. Place upside-down on a paper cup to dry. You will have some beautiful ornaments in just a few minutes! ...Jan

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=713281

inkinupstamps
11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Thank you so much for the directions! I really would love to try these. I can only hope and wish for results like yours!

Thanks again!:)

1of2shoes
11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
I am going to try this. I got some of the alcohol inks recently and since dgbearsmom and I experimented with them, I'm ready to rock 'n roll, baby! Thanks for the instructions, Jan.

dgbearsmom
11-10-2006, 11:22 PM
I had seen some in one of the stamping magazines (can't remember which one). I'm going to have to try this idea. Sounds super easy.

Thanks, Jan!

Judy

Christie
11-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Those are really pretty. I haven't tried alcohol inks at all but after seeing them on cards and now on your ornaments I can't wait to go buy some. I was trying to wait until my birthday but don't think I can!!

Thanks for sharing your lovely ornaments.

Far North
11-11-2006, 12:05 AM
But Christie your birthday is just days away! LOL! Of course you may have a 50% M's coupon burning a hole in your pocket.
...Jan

Christie
11-11-2006, 12:10 AM
I know I should wait. I don't have a coupon so I really should but heck, that's hard to do. I'm hoping that I will get a gift certificate for my birthday so I can go and buy some. That's what I asked for. Restraint is just so hard when it comes to craft stuff!!!!

laos348
11-11-2006, 07:30 AM
I have a whole bunch of ornaments so I can try this!! Thanks for the directions.

Laura

mahodgman
11-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm afraid I'm an alcohol ink failure! I just tried following these directions to decorate some glass ornaments, and they look terrible! I think my glue was to thin on the inside because I can still see through them, and I'm not sure how to apply the ink to the outside. Oh wait, is the ink on the inside? Maybe that is my problem! I've got to do more research. I'd appreciate any help or advise from someone who has had sucess with this!:confused:

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Just keep dabbing the alcohol inks all over your ornament. Is it starting to look muddy? What don't you like about it? You do dab the alcohol ink on the outside.

As for the inside, you pour the watered down glue and glitter mixture into the ornament and let it coat the inside. It should dry clear and you are to just see the glitter through the alcohol ink.

I hope this helps. I'm going to give it a try later on. I need to get the boys out of the house first.

Hang in there!
Jane

mahodgman
11-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Jane, do you use the felt applicator to apply the ink on the outside? That is what I tried, but it didn't seem to be covering very well. I walked away for a few minutes, and then when I went back to look, they do look better. I think my problem is that the ones I've seen samples of look really dark and rich with color, and mine kind of looks blah and boring. I'm going to keep trying!

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Do you have any of the metallic mixatives for alcohol inks? It can help pick up the colors more, if you are finding that your dabbing is creating matted hues.

I use the felt applicator.

How's it going?
Jane

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
What I did was choose 3 color (Cranberry, Lettuce, Eggplant) and a metallic (Copper). I start at one end of the felt and squirt directly into the felt, alternating colors and metallic as I move down the felt. Then just stamp away... cover the entire ornament and go over as you please. If you just cover the ornament once, then you get a soft look. If you go over it several times, it will start looking more defined and mottled... kinda pretty if you ask me. It depends on what kind of look you are going for.

I haven't added the watered down glue and glitter yet. As soon as I do, I'll post before the glitter and after the glitter pics. If I have time to do another, I'll try to take pictures of the process as I go and show the difference between covering the ornament once vs. going over it several times.

Jane

directmailscrapper
11-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Every year we have a Christmas Crafting party at our house for my daughter and some of her friends. They are 10-12 years old now -- so I'm looking for some challenging crafts that don't take too long. This one looks perfect... What do you think? Can the handle it? We will probably have about 6-8 girls. Silly girls. Really silly girls...:grin:

Nancy

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-25-2006, 03:46 PM
It's really easy! Just be sure to cover the girls with an apron and the table with paper. The stuff will stain. And since alcohol inks dry so quickly, it's something they can take home with them right away.

Jane

flyingflower
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
that if you get the ink on your hands, finish the color you're working on. Then go clean your hands with an alcohol based hand sanitizer and rinse it off with water. :grin: