PDA

View Full Version : update on my brother.

shuggy
05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
so i was able to get off of work yesterday to go with my brother to see the surgeon. the appointment went well and we found out what the surgery would involve and he was scheduled for 10am today. they weren't going to have to take out his thyroid, just the parathyroid gland that was growing the big mass. i went to work and everyone else went home.

my mom called me at work around 4pm and said that they were going to admit my brother right then because his calcium level had gone up again and they thought it was too dangerous for him to be home. so he stayed in overnight and got extra fluid and medication.

my sister-in-law called in a panic at 730am this morning and said they just came and got mike for his surgery. she was all alone and we had no clue. they rearranged the schedule because his pth level (the one the parathyroid kicks out-normal is 15-75) had gone from 275 to 580. so the didn't want to wait any longer. so none of us got to see him before.

the surgery was supposed to take about 30 minutes but ended up taking almost two hours because the mass was so big and intricate. the doctor said besides taking so long it all went ok. he has to stay in the hospital tonight because his calcium is still critically high and they want to watch it.

so i'm relieved that it went ok. thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

stampcrazyjulie
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Well, maybe it is better that you Guy's didn't have a lot of notice or you would have really been freaking out!

I am glad that everything seems to have gone OK. Please keep us posted! :)

JBgreendawn
05-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm glad to hear he's out of surgery and in recovery.
hopefully that goes quickly. :)

teabear
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh Angie, it sounds like they took good care of him. How scary for everyone. Are you waiting for lab results, or do you already know about the mass?

MyRnAbS
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm glad to hear he's doing better. I'm still keeping him and all of your family in my prayers.

dreis1
05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear he is out of surgery. Please do keep us posted. Glinda

shuggy
05-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh Angie, it sounds like they took good care of him. How scary for everyone. Are you waiting for lab results, or do you already know about the mass?

they are pretty sure it's nothing, but did send it to be biopsied (i can't spell that) anyway. hopefully it's nothing.

iloveflipflops
05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Gosh they sure moved fast! Glad they were able to get that mass out. Sounds very scary!! He is so young to have all these problems ... Keep us updated.

LinzyD
05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Glad to hear things are turning out okay for him. I've been thinking about you!
L

Vintagegal
05-23-2007, 09:48 PM
I'll continue to keep him in my prayers, Angie!

tesschap
05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow - I will pray for a speedy recovery for your brother.

cindi
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
getting care,,thats good
I'll say a prayer for a speedy recovery
Big hugs
:)

mjbonoan
05-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh Shuggy what a relief that must be... your brother and you had been on my thoughts and prayers since you posted about his condition.

((( hugs to you and your family )))

Mary Jayne

mydogstinks2
05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
It's good the hear that he will be getting better. Thanks for the update. How is the new place coming?

lisaguyon
05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
He and your family will continue to be in my prayers. Glad to hear that the surgery went ok. Lisa

gigibee
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Glad the surgery went well and praying for a complete and speedy recovery.

Konnie

ellie
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
What's the latest on your brother and gram? Hope everything is improving!