PDA

View Full Version : I'm such a neurotic mother! - UPDATED

Sherry
05-23-2007, 07:54 PM
I come to you ladies once again for advice.

My 5 year old daughter had her vaccinations (MMR and DTaP/IPV/Hib) early this morning but just now came down with a fever. Is this a normal occurance? None of my children have ever had a fever after being immunized.

UPDATE:

Here is a photo of Jenna's arm 2 days later. It is red, swollen, very hot to the touch, and is as hard as a rock. Is this normal?? This was the most nasty vaccine ever! If her arm still look's like this tomorrow, I'm going to call the doctor to have a look at it. Nasty!

http://stamp-shack.com/jarm2.jpg

shuggy
05-23-2007, 07:58 PM
yes, it's not uncommon for them to get a slight fever. i almost always get one with my flu shot. the tdap is a nasty one, since it's a tetanus shot too, and will make where ever she got it sore (my arm hurt for a few days). give her some pain reliever and she'll be good.

Spartymom
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Sherry, it is normal for your daugther to get a fever. Usually I give my girls aspirin before the shots and have not had any other problems. She will probably be a little sore too. YOu're a fine mom. It's good to worry a little too.

midnitecreations
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes its normal. I was told by my pediatrician to give my boys tynenol right before they got vacinnated. This way they didn't get sore or get a fever after. You're a great mother. If you weren't, you wouldn't be concerned with what's normal and what isn't.

Deborah
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Not uncommon at all. You're not neurotic, just a concerned Mom. :)

Sherry
05-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks gals. I knew I came to the right place to have my mind put at ease.

Seriously though, I think I suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder that stems from when my son was five years old and was hospitalized with Kawasaki Disease. At that time, he was quite ill and I was told that he could die. It was a very, very traumatic experience for me watching him in pain and then having to sit silently while he was poked and proded every day of his hospital stay. Since then, whenever one of my children gets a sore throat or a fever, I go completely bananas. I immediately feel sick to my stomach, begin trembling and can't sleep until the episode is over. I think I am going to talk to my DR. next week when I go back for my thyroid checkup. Mama needs some serious medication.

Too much info, huh? I'm a nut case!

bubblegum girl
05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
when i had my hepititus c (c or b i cant remember which) i got REALLY sick and now mom wont let my brother have the same shot because of that

ellie
05-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Yep, that's a nasty shot. I think I remember my pediatrician telling me to give them some tylenol after they had theirs... and btw, I think that your concern makes you a great mom!

Sherry
05-25-2007, 09:30 PM
updated with photo

ellie
05-25-2007, 09:56 PM
That arm looks pretty sore. If it looks like that tomorrow, I would definately call the dr. You never know, she could be having a reaction. If nothing else, it will put your mind at ease.

lisaguyon
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
I AGREE if her arm is still swollen and red and hot to touch I would have the doctor look at it just to be sure. Lisa

shuggy
05-26-2007, 12:12 AM
sherry, a small bump is expected, but not that big! you should take her in tomorrow.

maxiesmom
05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm so glad all the moms are around to offer advise! Me of the dog mom-ing is freaking out looking at that picture! Even reading the description, I'm thinking that can't be right and here all the moms are so cool about it!

I'm silly, I know.

inkinupstamps
05-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Sherry, how is Jenna's arm today? I'm not doctor but I do remember that vacinnes caused some hardness and soreness and a bit of fever, but never to the extent that Jenna's appears to be. How is it today? I don't know but could she be having an allergic reaction? I'd take her in to see the MD just to be sure this is a "normal" reaction.

Poor Jenna! Poor Momma!

flyingflower
05-26-2007, 10:24 AM
a bit of a fever and a little tenderness is expected. I would call the DR and describe this to them.

Patty
05-26-2007, 11:27 AM
If you were not a great mom you wouldn't worry. I would definitely call the doctor--if he says it's nothing, then fine--but I think that we all have to be ready to question and listen to our own instinct--it never hurts to check--you'll feel better. A good doctor will understand!

Sherry
05-26-2007, 02:56 PM
We just had Jenna to the doctor and he said that she definitely had a local allergic reaction, probably from the protiens found in the vaccination. If she develops a high fever, we have to take her to emergency, ASAP.

I asked about future vaccinations and was told that when she is 15 she will need a tetanas booster and that she almost definitely will have another reaction. After that vaccination takes place we have to hang around for 30 minutes to monitor her condition. DH asked me how on earth I will remember that when it won't happen for another 10 years. I told him that a mother wouldn't forget something like that. And I won't.

Thanks for your help, advice, and concern ladies. I know I can always come to you when I have questions!

Erin K
05-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Wow it's good to know but that's scarry.

I was alergic to the dtap and had to go in the hospital. I was terrified the boys would be too but so far so good.

gigibee
05-26-2007, 03:41 PM
So glad that you found out about Jenna's arm and reaction. It is scary when she hadn't reacted earlier.

Konnie