PDA

View Full Version : Update on Rowdy... It's not Parvo (Long post)

mjbonoan
05-23-2007, 08:51 PM
The Lord does work in mysterious ways and as of right now it looks like Rowdy (which means tough) just might pull through. After going to three different vets today I ended up with the one I went to on Monday, all others wanted to redo tests that I already paid for. I've already spent over $700 this week alone on my "free" dog.

Here's the update: Rowdy tested NEGATIVE for Parvo, so that's a very good thing. His kidney enzymes were high due to dehydration. We left him in the hospital for a couple of days. He's getting and IV, antibiotics and pain meds. The vet told us that he vomits out of pain and taking meds on an empty stomach. By the time we left to the vets office I had already made up my mind to put him to sleep because I couldn't afford to dish out any more money to cure him of Parvo. However, when he was tested and it was negative I had a totally different outlook. It was as if a huge load had been lifted off of me, I've been crying since Sunday when the accident happened. My heartache is so bad that I can't even function at work and there is a huge set of minutes with over 50 items that I have to prepare by Friday. I asked the vet several times and he said that Rowdy was not on his death bed, he finally asked me, "How would you feel if you had a broken leg and no morphine?" I guess I'd feel just as bad as my poor poor Rowdy.

After we came back from the vet we went to visit Mike's co-worker the one that gave me Rowdy, well turns out that Kayla (Rowdy's mom) just had another litter so we're getting another puppy in the next week or so... just trying to decide if I want another red one or if I want a blue one. Also, come to find out they aren't mutts like I thought, just a mix between two pure breeds, one red heeler and one blue heeler.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers since Rowdy is still very weak and regardless of what the vet said I still fear for his health as well as mine. If I were to lose him it would certainly kill me... I never knew I could love him so much!

Thanks!

hutchink
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh Mary Jayne,

That is wonderful that Rowdy doesn't have parvo! I will continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way!

Can't wait to see the new pup either!

~K

teabear
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Glad to hear things are going so much better tonight. And a new puppy to boot...wonderful news.

LinzyD
05-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh I am so thankful he tested negative! Sounds like Rowdy is gonna hang in there! I've prayed for that little dog many times since his accident and I will continue to do so. Thanks for keeping us all up to date, MJ!
Linzy

stampinmom3
05-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah! Good news. Hang in there Rowdy and Momma, it will be okay.

ccstampin12
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Good news is always the best thing!
Keep us updated!
Joanie

hbpuppy
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for sharing the Rowdy update. It sounds like you are both in need of a little TLC. I'm glad to hear that he doesn't have parvo.

cindi
05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm glad to hear Rowdy seems to be doing better.
I;m sure he will feel better with the care the vet can give him.
Hugs
:)

MyRnAbS
05-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Thank God mary!! I can even hear it in your voice, you're in better spirits!! Go ahead and get that blue one!! That way you have one of each!! I bet ur mom is jumping for joy with this new news ;)

RDRD4
05-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Thats Wonderful news. And a new puppy to. I'm so happy for you...

ellie
05-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh Mary Jayne, I am almost in tears. I have thought of the two of you all day. When I checked in and saw the post about the Parvo, my heart just sank. We had a scare with that when Zoe was a puppy. I did some reading on it and talked to the vet and it is so serious. I am SO glad that Rowdy doesn't have it. Please continue to keep us informed on how he's doing and give him a little squeeze from me! Isn't it something how we can become so attached...I can't imagine life without them.

moosemama
05-24-2007, 04:42 AM
MJ, that is great news that he doesn't have parvo. It sounds like he is on the mend! You're in my prayers. What alot to have to go through!

ellie
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
How is Rowdy feeling today? Is he still throwing up? How are YOU doing?...You never mentioned your dh....how is he handling all of this?

gigibee
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Mary Jayne so glad to hear that Rowdy doesn't have parvo that is indeed a blessing. Hopefully, fluids and pain meds will help him recover. I'm so happy to hear that Rowdy will have a sibling too! That is super. Keeping all of you in prayers.

Konnie

mjbonoan
05-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I called the vets office this morning and Rowdy is stable. I'll call later on again and post another update as soon as I have one!!

Thanks for the prayers!

MJ