PDA

View Full Version : ok, I have a medical question

ellie
05-24-2007, 09:37 AM
I found out last night that one of my sons co-workers has TB. Of course he is pretty upset and told ds that his father died of it. My question is...isn't that contagious? I am trying not to freak out but I had friends as a child who had to go and live "away" because they had it. I know that was a long time ago but I was just wondering what they do about it today.

scrappinnuts
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Ellie it is contagious through body secretions..like spit or coughing..the good news is ...today you can take a regamine of pills..can't remember how long you take them..but 6 months comes to mind..and if you contact it you will always test positive... but with the meds never be active..Does your son work in the Medical Field? Both my DH and I work in the Medical field..He as a Firefighter/Paramedic..and he has never tested Postitve but been exposed many, many times. Me I have also been in exposed..especially when I worked with the elderly... never tested positive. I am sure everything will be fine. If your son is in the Med field his employer should take the neccessary precautions. Hope this helps.

logcabincreations
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Here is a link from the American Lung Association and yes it is contagious.

http://www.lungsandiego.org/lung/adults_tuberculosis.asp

ellie
05-24-2007, 09:54 AM
He works at a video-game store...actually the dream job for a kid. He is a game advisor. He gets to bring home the latest games and play them so that he can advise the customers when they have questions! His brothers are green with envy!
Thank you for the info...my "mommy" gene started working overtime when he mentioned this.

ellie
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Thank you girls for the info. You know how it is....even if they are in their 20's you still want to protect them.
Jan...thank you for the link!

Christie
05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
He needs to get tested. I had to go through this when I was about 22. It's very easy, they just stick your arm with some fluid and then you have to go back in like 4 days and they tell you then. I think you would feel better if you get him tested!

MidwestStamper
05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I had TB when I was a kid, in first grade. I was living in South America at the time. I had to stay home from school and get a shot in my "butt" every day. But that was over 40 years ago.

Now days I'm sure it's very treatable, but it wouldn't hurt to get checked out just to be sure. I think the test is called a "Mantou" test? Sometimes if you've been exposed to it, you can test positive but it doesn't mean you'll actually become sick with the disease--just that a little has made it's way into your system. People that work in food service often are checked for this.

Vintagegal
05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
It's only contagious if it's "active" in the system. Someone who tests positive for TB (arm test) should go and get a chest xray to see if it's active. But, the coughing and body aches will pretty much tell the person if they have active TB.

You can be next to a person at the grocery store who has active TB and not know it. If they're coughing, they could be spreading the germs. But, if they don't know they have it, that's the bigger problem.

Folks who know they have TB in their system will be told to take all necessary precautions to avoid spreading it. When I worked in a radiology clinic, we came in contact with tons of people with positive PPD (tested positive for TB). They were right in front of us, coughing. They needed chest xrays to test whether their lungs were clear or not. But, by the time the results come out, we've already been exposed.

I had to be tested two months ago, before I took on a job at the clinic where I'm at. Fortunately, I've always tested negative.

kerry
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
I have to get tested every year as a teacher. There are so many ESOL (english speakers of other languages) who are new to our school systems who unknowingly spread TB...I've never tested positive and I work around lots of coughing, sneezing, achy, stuffy head kids all day long (sounds like a Nyquil commercial LOL)

If he hasn't been tested, it's a very simple test that doesn't hurt at all. I recommend people get it done on a yearly basis if they work around large numbers of people.

Kerry

laos348
05-25-2007, 07:47 AM
My younger sister was exposed after doing some service work at a shelter. She is on a regimen of pills and gets tested all the time to make sure she doesn't get it. I think the state keeps a close eye on her results as well so they would know if she contracts it.

Laura