PDA

View Full Version : Caution for dog owners

inkinupstamps
05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Ladies,

There has been a little discussion about our dogs having allergies to grass, and pollen and the like. Let me advise you too that dogs can be highly allergic to bee/wasp/mud dobber stings.

Sunday evening Bella was poking around in the back yard and unbeknownst to us was stung. Possibly multiple times. We didn't know it though. She came inside and was suddenly very lethargic. A few minutes later Paul called me into the living room in a panic to look at Bella. Her eyes and mouth were swelling to grotesque proportions. We still had no idea what had happened.

Suddenly Bella began vomiting violently and repeatedly like nothing I've ever witnessed in man or beast.

After about two hours the swelling was gone but she was (forgive the pun) sicker than a dog! We spent most of the night cleaning up after her and trying to make her comfortable.

Yesterday morning she was lethargic but by noon was chasing the cats again so we knew she was on the mend.

The vet advised us that Bella obviously does not have a tollerance to whatever stung her and if it ever happened again that we could give her a little benadryl for the swelling but just be sure it isn't an antihistomine that also contains cold medicines too. Just administer a straight antihistomine.

Once her tummy would hold food again I made her a rice and cottage cheese mixture. (you can use plain yogurt too.)

Whew...I know this is long and wordy but we were really terrified for our pup and never dreamed a sting could cause such a reaction. She is fine now but it was a very scarey time.

Jennifer

Jovi
05-29-2007, 11:51 AM
OMG Jennifer what a scary ordeal you went through. I'm glad that Bella is better now.

My vet in the past also told us to use bit of Benedryl for my other dog Sam (she just recently passed). Sam would get really bad eye goop, kind of like allergies and the Benedryl helped her.

hbpuppy
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Wow Jennifer. That sounds aweful. Poor Bella. I'm glad that she is doing better.

iloveflipflops
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Poor Bella. Glad she is better, poor thing. I remember Ladybug getting stung by a bee when she was just a puppy and her whole lip swelled up so big I was a nervous wreck. Then it went back down. She never got sick but her lip was humungous. Never happened again.

GrammaStamper
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Jennifer, that's scary! You must have been sick with worry. I'm so glad your Bella is better and hope that never happens again.

teabear
05-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Poor Bella and poor mom & dad to Bella. What a rough night. So sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. They make benedryl in liquid form for kids...be sure you get some just in case. It will make her sleepy if you have to give it to her.

ellie
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Wow, Zoe always tries to catch them when she sees them flying around. I will definately be more careful. I have 2 sons that are allergic to yellow jackets and we have to have epi-pens around. It is scary.

Far North
05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
OH MY, what a difficult evening and night!!! I can't imagine how anxious you must have been! I hope whatever it was that they don't find your way to the yard again! I hope you are all taking some time to catch up on your rest!
...Jan

JBgreendawn
05-29-2007, 04:20 PM
oh holy cow!
that is so scary to go through something like that...

My friend just told me this on Sunday, I need to check with my vet. not sure about it but its something else thats been dog related stuck in my head...

my friend has a wolf ( huge animal ) and when he had a piece of rat poison in his mouth she mixed a half a cup of peroxide with water, made him drink it, made him instantly throw up then brushed his teeth...
I don't know how old he was when this happened so, anyways you know people keep that ipecac (probably mangled the spelling) to make their babies or kids throw up, but, i was wondering what kind of stuff people keep on hand like as dog medicine chest stuff... or cats too?

inkinupstamps
05-29-2007, 04:27 PM
oh holy cow!
that is so scary to go through something like that...

My friend just told me this on Sunday, I need to check with my vet. not sure about it but its something else thats been dog related stuck in my head...

my friend has a wolf ( huge animal ) and when he had a piece of rat poison in his mouth she mixed a half a cup of peroxide with water, made him drink it, made him instantly throw up then brushed his teeth...
I don't know how old he was when this happened so, anyways you know people keep that ipecac (probably mangled the spelling) to make their babies or kids throw up, but, i was wondering what kind of stuff people keep on hand like as dog medicine chest stuff... or cats too?

Stacy that is great information to know and our next trip to the vet I'm going to ask him just that. As you know I have three cats and soon to get our second dog. I have a lot of "livestock" to look after and care for. Our vet is FABULOUS and is very much of the belief to dispense home remedies and formulas for the times you cannot get them in to the doctor. I'll certainly ask about this the next time I'm in.

Thanks!
Jennifer

cindi
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Poor poor baby Bella!!
I'm glad she's ok and thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
:)

kulakid
05-29-2007, 05:55 PM
So glad to hear that she is okay, and that you and Paul can breathe again!

workin4stamps
05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
oh my goodness! How scary that must have been!!

You know...it really does make me wonder....why don't they give you a list of things to have on hand in case of an emergency, you know?? Woudn't that just be the handiest thing??

I'm really glad Bella is okay!

Traci

inkinupstamps
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Traci, I agree with you. In fact, I'm specifically going to ask my vet for types of things to have on hand for 'accidents' just like this. Remember last summer my cat, Merlin, was sprayed by a skunk. VERY Unpleasant.

As pet owners we need to have the same type of information for our animals that pediatricians offer to parents of children.

Things happen innocently enough, but it sure is good to have access to information as to how to treat animals effectively. Some human medicines are dangerous to animals so we need to know.

Jennifer

Christie
05-29-2007, 07:09 PM
How scary for you! Poor Bella. You must also be aware of misquotes. A few years ago my dog was outside after many days of rain and when he came in he was all swollen and had 100's of misquoto mites all over him. I gave him some childrens benadrly and he was all better in a couple of hours. It's very scary to have these things happen to our family pets. I'm glad she's doing better and I hope that she doesn't have that happen again

JBgreendawn
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
ok so, so far in our "dog" medicine chest what we have is some of these gauze wrap things ( they look like people wrap gauze but in funky colors got them at a big pet supply store)

also have some stuff you can squirt on the pads of the feet of a dog, its supposed to toughen up the feet... ( the people at the pet supply store thought it was the stuff i wanted that is not iodine but looks like it shoot mind went blank on the name of it...) I'll check for it later but, you buy it over the counter for people like where people band aids are sold. and its yellow and you pour it on a cut. (we have hunting dogs so if they hurt their feet its usually out in the wilds away from vets and home and stuff)

the other thing we have is Slick used to swim under water to fetch the ducks and used to spend the winter on antibiotics for ear infections just like a little kid... and to clean dogs ears she was allergic to the vet meds for cleaning dog ears so my vet said dump this (prescription stuff) down the drain and fill the bottle half with tap water and half with regular vinegar and shake it really well each time before you wash the ears...

did you know your suppose to wash your dogs ears once a month?