PDA

View Full Version : Update on Mom . . .

tesschap
05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Hello dear shack friends. Thank you so much for your positive thoughts and prayers. Mom is doing well. I have been having a tough time - seeing her has not been easy for me - but today she was more like 'mom'! The swelling has gone down and even though her speech is slurred it has improved. Her right eye is still droopy but not nearly as much as it was. Yesterday she had major blurred/double vision and today that was much better as well. When we left this afternoon they were preparing to move her to a general room on the Neuro floor. They were unsure if she would go to a rehab facility or home and have outpatient. Thankfully they decided today that she will go to an inpatient facility - even if it's for just a week. The hospital is about 2 hours from their home and the best rehab facility in our area is about 40 minutes from their home. My step sister is a PT there and there is a bed ready as soon as she is released. She's been walking with a walker and assistance and has an alarm on her bed as she tries to get up to go to the bathroom on her own - inspite of their instruction not to! This is SO my mom! She's a very stubborn strong woman but we made her promise she will do as they say! I will post more on what actually happened to her etc. either later tonight or tomorrow. This is my first night home and I have so much laundry to catch up on! (My DS's did have the house spotless though). :)

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

I am still thinking of all of you that had asked for prayers as well and hope to catch up here tomorrow as my sister and I will be alternating days driving our dad to the hospital. I would like to go every day but my sister just can't with small children and a large dairy farm. It's best for her kids to alternate days and as long as mom continues to improve it's better for her as well as she only has our dad and one daughter to lecture every day :) She has been more concerned about our well being than her own - so typical!

Hugs to everyone.

Vintagegal
05-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Teresa, I've been thinking of your mom. I'm so glad to hear she's pulling through. I can only imagine how hard this is for you. Thank you for sharing with us what must be just a tremendous and emotional time it must be for you. I'll continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

cindi
05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
what happened but it sounds like she's getting better and that you have agood family & routine.
Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
:)

craftingcrazy
05-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Teresa, her daily improvement is a wonderful sign! My mom went through this and the improvements that you are seeing are exactly what I went through with my mom. She has now fully recovered. They have come a long way with stroke victims in the medical field and I'm hoping each day she will get better and better!
I remember in her inpatient rehab they had a little kitchen where she had to cook things as part of her daily exercise.
Thanks for the update and I'm still sending you healing prayers and positive thoughts!
Donna

Spartymom
05-29-2007, 08:28 PM
I have been thinking of you and your family since you told us what happened. Glad to hear things are better and thinking of you still.

ccstampin12
05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh, Teresa,
So happy to hear the good news. Of course, you and your family have been on my mind.
Thanks for the update!
Joanie

mjbonoan
05-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Teresa, I'm so glad to hear you mom is doing better. I've been thinking a lot about you and your mom. We will continue to pray for a full and speedy recovery.

((Hugs))

Mary Jayne

JBgreendawn
05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I am so glad you had a chance to peek and and update us, it sounds like this is a huge weight has lifted to get to see her recovering a little more each day.
:)

directmailscrapper
05-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Teresa, thanks for the update. You and you family have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard about your Mom's stroke. I am so relieved for you that she is doing so much better! Sounds like you are pooped but handling everything very well. Take it easy! Nancy

GrammaStamper
05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Teresa, I'm pleased to hear your Mom is improving daily. Take care of yourself and I'm wishing a speedy recovery for your Mom.

dreis1
05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Oh Teresa, thanks for checking in. Big hugs to you. Hope you can get some much needed rest. So glad to hear your Mom is doing much better. Glinda

Far North
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm so glad to hear the positive news! You are so lucky to have family at the rehab center!!! Keeping a watchful eye on patient's care is a fulltime job these days. Oh yes, strong-willed mothers...You just gotta love them to pieces!!!
Hugs to you Teresa-I hope sharing the trip daily will help you too...it is a very exhausting and draining experience to support a parent in the hospital. Do all you can to keep yourself healthy and know we are here when you are up to it....Jan

ellie
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
I am so glad you had a chance to check in with us. I have been praying for your family. Your mom sounds like she is making wonderful progress.

shuggy
05-29-2007, 11:14 PM
hang in there, teresa!! it's good to hear the good news about your mom!

buggainok
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the update. You know we all do care. Glad your mom is improving daily. All the logistics of care and rehab can get difficult for family, I know. Take care of yourself and don't try to be super-woman.

logcabincreations
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey Teresa,

Your mom sounds so much like mine....she has a strong will and that is good for getting well. My mom had a car accident Sept. 2006, and was in the hospital then in rehab several weeks. Broken leg...79 years old.....but she wouldn't let that stop her!!! Here's a hug to keep you strong. Dads (like mine who is 82) will put on a good front sometimes, but deep down they worry, so give him lots of attention too. You are all in my prayers.

teabear
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope things continue to improve each day. Don't forget to take some time to rest and take care of yourself. Your mom sounds like an amazing lady.

LinzyD
05-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm so glad to hear a positive report from you! I've been thinking/praying a lot for your mom (and you) these last few days.
Hang in there!
Linzy

tesschap
05-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks everyone for all the positive thoughts and prayers. The hospital just called and they are moving mom tomorrow morning to the rehab center. This is such wonderful news - we didn't expect it so fast but as certainly very happy :)

ChristyR
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Teresa, so glad to hear your mom is doing better. I will continue to pray for her speedy recovery :)

ctinyjoy
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Teresa, glad to read your posts that your Mom is doing better. As the others have said, be sure you get rest yourself so you can be strong for her.