PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor Markers

Mom0fgirls
05-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Is anyone here an expert at the using the alcohol based prismacolor markers? Do you have any tips you can share?

I'm trying to learn to blend and shade and finding it a bit challenging. I usually use watercolors or Prismacolor pencils w/ OMS. So I'm used to building up color slowly. The markers are so vibrant that I'm having a harder time doing that. Even the lightest markers shades are pretty intense.

Maybe is just a matter of getting used to more color intensity - but I was just wondering if anyone had some tips.

So far - it seems I have the most success using one color and layering to get lighter and darker shades. Ive not had too much luck blending 2 shades together smoothly - even with the colorless blender.

iloveflipflops
05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I have no tips as I am a newbie as these markers and pencils too. My cards don't look 1/2 as good as others so I need to work on blending too. I will be waiting to see what tips you get. I think Practice makes perfect is it :).

LinzyD
05-30-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm not very good at blending them either. Somtimes I use a 10% cool (or warm) gray marker to help add shadows and depth, but as far as blending goes...I'm kinda like you: not quite sure what to do. I haven't practiced with them much at all though, so I should probabably start there. Nice to meet you though!
Linzy

mahodgman
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
This isn't my tip, but I saw Karen Lockhart do it at a demo recently. She was using the Copic markers which are very similar. She said she only likes to use the lightest colors, and then she adds more color and shading with her Prismacolor pencils. It looked really good. She is awsome!

JBgreendawn
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I had seen on someone's blog think it was Asela's? that she colors with the markers then adds the shading with the pencils over the top.
I have not managed to blend two markers as of yet, but i have color choice in the pencils so i reach for them more often and I'm not good with mine. ( any of mine yet...) but, I'm enjoying them.
hth,