PDA

View Full Version : OHmyheck I may have just killed stpehen

Erin K
06-01-2007, 11:31 AM
please help me.

do I call the dr? 911? Just cuddle him?

Stephen has been peanut sensitive, he'd get just a rash. the dr told me to try one more time before he goes to the big allergist. So I just did.

He has a rash and is sneezing a BUNCH which he's never done and he's all eyes wattery and puffy faced. He says he feels ok and he's breathing fine. I gave him benadryll.

My dad has the deadly kind of peanut allergy.

what the heck is wrong with me.

Stephen is taking these really deep breaths now...

I'm back. He is going to be just fine. My neighbor is an RN and she saw me getting them into the car and ran over she said I could not drive them in, either her DH was driving or we had to call 911, I tried to call brian but he was already on his way to the ER and has no cell phone, so Vic the neighbor drove me and the kids to the ER and his wife followed. After we got checked in he left with her and Brian showed up right after that. They have him a shot and told me to keep the benydril and they checked his breathing a bunch and gave him a breathing treatment. they said he was not swollen in his airways but having a broncial reaction is why he was coughing. After the shot he got all super worked up and threw up all over the room, I need a shower really bad. :( How do they do that and drench their mommy but only get the tiny bit on themselves? Anyhow he's fine now. Normal color, rash is gone, breathing fine. We have a perscription for more streiods too. They said the normal DR needs to refer us to an allergist so we can find out if he has other allergies and get an epipen if he needs one.

I was going to mow the yard while he napped but now I'm gonna let him sleep in my bed and just watch him the whole time.

I feel like the worst mom ever. I thought they were gonna call child services on me. See in the past he's had just a slight reaction, but if you remember he got rashes all the time so we were never sure if it was this. He's NEVER had anything more than a slight rash and benydrill has always killed that right away. So the Dr didin't think it really was allergic, but sensitive. I was trying to save him from the allergy testing, but apparently it was a bad choice. Yall I feel terrible. I need you to rally around me and tell me I'm not a bad mommy. :swoon:

moosemama
06-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Erin, I don't know if you are still online, but if he is having difficulty breathing, call 911 immediately.

Erin K
06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
going to the ER now

Sherry
06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Never mess around with an allergy. I would call.

inkinupstamps
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Grab the boys and get to the ER!

ccstampin12
06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Hope all turns out all right.
Joanie

iloveflipflops
06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Let us know ASAP Erin. Saying a prayer for you!

Christie
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Please let us know how he is doing when you get home

shuggy
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
did she go to the er? i hope so...

hutchink
06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Hope everything is okay with Stephen! Saying a prayer of you! Let us know how he is doing!

~k

teabear
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
yikes...you did the right thing by giving him benedryl and going to the er. What the heck is wrong with that doc telling you to give him peanuts. Let us know how he is.

dreis1
06-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I am glad you went to the ER. I suffer from allegries and have made several trip to the ER. Please let us know as soon as you can how he is. Saying prayers for him. Glinda

toao
06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh my goodness. Please let us know when you get back Erin! I've been there with Tori not being able to breathe, and that is SUPER SCARY!

Mary

My3Ds
06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I hope you are reading this after your return from the ER. If either of your children ever have difficulty breathing - call 911 immediately. So, let us know what happened. (( ))

Erin K
06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
He's ok, details to follow...

Erin K
06-01-2007, 01:52 PM
updated the OP with details.

Erin K
06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
and also Sherri does not answer her cell phone when I call it over and over from the ER waiting room.

Christie
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Erin I'm so glad he is ok. I don't think your a bad mommy at all. I do think that the doctor should of been more careful in telling you to give him something that he might be allergic too. JMO! I'm glad all is normal now and I hope he has a good nap and that you are able to relax a little. ((((HUGS))))

dreis1
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Why should they call Child Protective Services on you, when the dr told you to try one more time. No of course you are not a bad Mom. When you are allergic to something, each epsoide is worse than the last one. He will probably sleep ahile and be just fine. Thanks for letting us know he is ok. Glinda

Erin K
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I took a shower so I don't stink anymore.

ellie
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Holy Cow Erin! You are the best mom. I am always thinking how blest your kids are to have a mom who adores them so. (Actually, I am impressed with a lot of the moms on this board....you are all great mommies)
Stuff is gonna happen...even the best mom ever can't control that. You did what you had to do and are taking good care of him.
Funny thing, I just called today to have my son's epi-pen refilled. He is allergic to bees and is getting ready to go on a missions trip to Guatamala.
Anyway, you and Brian are great parents and don't ever let anyone tell you that you aren't.

buggainok
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Of course you're not a bad mom. You were only doing what the doctor told you was okay to try. And you reacted just right and dashed to the ER to get help when he needed it.

Hope everyone at your place can have a calm afternoon and recuperate from the morning's excitement.

Scrap This!
06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Erin, you are NOT a bad mommy. Every mom has to go through different trials with their kiddos, this happens to be one of them. You and Stephen should get a little rest and all will be well. Sounds like you have some very kind neighbors as well.

shuggy
06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
you are definately not a bad mom. i'm glad he's doing better.

JBgreendawn
06-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I just got home, Ive only read your first post and the update,
honey you are a good mama.

I hope you can get in to see the allergist soon. ( there could be other things too)
{{{ HUGS }}}

Jovi
06-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Erin I'm glad your son is feeling better and everything is okay. ;)

flyingflower
06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
BAD doctor! GOOD mommy!

teabear
06-01-2007, 03:48 PM
BAD doctor! GOOD mommy!

Amen to what Margo said!

iloveflipflops
06-01-2007, 04:17 PM
what's the scoop? Where did you post it? My cell was in the car. if I am home, i never have it with me. you need to put my home number in there.

Kreative Dryve
06-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow! I am glad he is doing good. Get some rest right along with him, you need it too!
~MJ

iloveflipflops
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I can't find it.

How was it? What happened? Why did you call my cell and not my home? I am home sitting on ice....

MidwestStamper
06-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I was wondering that too--Erin said something about the update is posted in OP and I felt dumb because I don't know what that is!

My3Ds
06-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Go back to Erin's original post. She posted an update there on the original message. They are going to be fine (Erin and Stephen).

iloveflipflops
06-01-2007, 04:38 PM
oh i will go check it out. thanks.

Erin K
06-01-2007, 05:10 PM
sherri I posted it on the original post so no one would come in and read it and think he was still in danger. :) He's gonna be fine.

midnitecreations
06-01-2007, 05:15 PM
You're a great mom Erin. You were following Drs. orders. And as soon as you realized it was not "normal", you reacted quickly. You were there and at the right time. You did the best you knew how at the moment. Now you know differently and you'll do differently. No one could ask more of you. Both the boys are extremely lucky to have a mom like you. Now go smack yourself for even doubting it! lol Really glad to hear Stephen is o.k.

Erin K
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Sorry! I updated the Orginal Post on the thread so no one came along and read it and thought he was still in danger. I didn't think that yall would NOT get the update because of that.

He's ok. they gave him a shot and a breathing treatment and hung out until he was coloring and happy again. For a while he was BAD and I was freaking out. My neighbor is an RN and she and her DH drove me. I was a wreck. They are sweet.

gigibee
06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Oh Erin I know how scary that is as our little DGS (3 yrs) has many food allergies and reacts very quickly. We have to keep Epi pens with him at all times. We were told if he reacts once not to give him any more as each time he could get more sensitive. He was tested very young ,at nine months, as he is so very sensitive,and that really helped us in knowing what he can have, and what we need to keep from him.Sadly, he is allergic to dairy,eggs, all nuts, tomatoes and flaxseed. Erin for your own peace of mind have him seen by the allergist. Our little guy responds to benedryl too, but my dd has had to use the epi pen once and then he had to be transported by squad, very scary. You are a good mom and you just never saw him have a complete attack before and everything can change in minutes. You were doing what your Dr. told you to do. I agree call 911 when it is an allergic reaction because the breathing can change quickly. We have learned so much since our little guy is so sensitive. If you have questions please let me know. Hang in there and thankfully he is doing well. Take care.

Sending Hugs,
Konnie

loobylou
06-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Oh Erin, how scary. You were smart to take him right to the ER. I have a child at my school who we shadow at recess and lunch to keep him safe from foods he is allergic to (and because he is too small to carry his own epipen). I think your Dr needs a strong reprimand (I know you can do it!). You are a great Mum and Stephen is lucky to have you.
Sarah

cindi
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm coming in late on this..I woeked long hours today.
Poor stephen And poor you!!!
Very scary situayion & what was that Dr. thinking????
I'm glad everything is ok now, but very sorry your family had to go through this.
Hugs
:)

mahodgman
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Erin, you are not a bad mommy!

If you think you should call 9-1-1, though, do it! Don't stop to ask, just call.

DJP
06-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Erin, glad to see that Stephen is okay BUT it does sound like time for the allergist and maybe a medic-alert bracelet so no one else gives him peanuts. You were terrific in watching him and reacting right away but not everyone reacts well like you did.

GSMom385
06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Erin, repeat after me, I am a good mom, this was not my fault, I didn't know. My daughter had a similar issue a few years ago and we ended up in the ER too. She has a peanut allergy, and one of the strangest ones the allergy doc has ever seen. She is not allergic to the actual nut, but what they roast them in. So she would react sometimes and not others. It depended on if the product contained this particular type of preservative that they used in the roasting process. She carries an epipen ( sp) now and what was really cool about it, it came with a practice pen so she could practice. I was so relieved, because I was totally worried that she would be someplace and nobody would know how to do it and she would die in front of someone. She is 5 and very aware of her food and what is in it or could be in it. Hang in there....it will be alright, focus on the bright side it is good that you know now.

robynstamps
06-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Erin I am so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. You cannot feel like a bad mom for this. We just do the best we can and it will all work out in the end. I hope you got to snuggle him lots today.

Robyn

GrammaStamper
06-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Erin, so glad Stephen is okay! It must have been extremely scarry for you. Glad your neighbour was there to help and now all can be normal again.

MyRnAbS
06-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Erin,
You are not a bad mommy!! As a matter of fact, I think you are a FANTASTIC mother. This was an accident. Glad he's fine now!!!

mydogstinks2
06-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Holy cow! What a day you all had! Sorry to hear about it.

Erin you are NOT a bad mommy!!! At least it happened when you were with him and could get him taken care of right away. You are a great Mommy!!