PDA

View Full Version : How did you meet your other half...

mjbonoan
06-04-2007, 02:19 AM
and why was he a keeper? I thought this would be fun to share!!

I'll go first...

I need to elaborate a bit, in 1980 I eloped with my boyfriend a day after my 17th bday, he was 16. He turned out to be extremely abusive both mentally and physically. I stayed married to him for four years and finally after numerous beatings I got a divorce in December 1984. In November of '89, my friend Biscuit and I had been out partying one night and there was a black out, the party moved on to Bruce Connors place. Much later there was a knock on the door and as tipsy as I was, I yelled from my corner and said something like "Identify yourself" and in peeks Mike with his date. When I introduced myself I said "Hi I'm Mary Jayne" he looked at me funny and then I said, "Yes, like something you roll up and smoke" Needless to say, he never saw Karla again and we've been together ever since that dark night on 11-19-1989. Did I mention that he said he was leaving on Tuesday? Well he never did say which Tuesday that was!!

We got married a year later at the American Legion Hall and we've been trying to live happily ever after... He was a keeper because he never left!:notworthy: I was 27 and he was 36, he'd never been married and had not taken anybody home to his parents in 20 years.

emmcee
06-04-2007, 05:53 AM
While Laura's dad and I were married, we owned an 18-wheeler, he drove it and then we hired a driver. Anyway, when Zennie died, I had this truck to do something with. Paul (my current DH and last one too!) was a diesel mechanic and he always kept the truck serviced and did all the repairs. After Zennie died, I naturally went to Paul for advice on how to sell the truck. One thing led to another and here we are 19 years later. Our first date was in July and I remember getting $75 out of the bank to take with me, because I wanted to make sure if something happened I would have enough money to get back home.

THere's nothing worth mentioning about husband no. 1 except he brought me to NC.

Vintagegal
06-04-2007, 07:04 AM
but we didn't start dating until we were 21, and living three States apart.

I knew he was a keeper when he wasn't afraid to stay out all hours of the night and sleep on the beach. LOL! No....it was he short hair cut and the uniform. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! (Just kidding.......)

I knew he was a keeper when I knew I could just be myself around him (and he understood my jokes).

Christie
06-04-2007, 07:28 AM
I met dbf in high school. It's a long story but the main idea is that I sent him flowers on valentines day with my phone number attached and he called me that night. We are high school sweethearts, been together for 13 years now.

LinzyD
06-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Jorge and I met when he was on vacation from Boston. He came to KS to visit friends of his that he knew from Angola. We met at the Jazz House his first night here in Kansas (through mutual friends) and spent the whole week of his vacation together. After he returned to Boston we kept in touch, and two months later he moved to Kansas. :) Two years later, we're engaged and getting married Sept. 8th! I knew he was the "one" when he moved to Kansas for me...besides-he's the only guy that has ever made me feel tingly all over just by kissing me!
;)

prdesigns
06-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Mines a work story. I met dh over 19 years ago, we just celebrated our 17th anniversary on May 19. A mutual co-worker of ours set us up. A big thing with our company was an annual bowling outing. We were on separate teams, but were 'told' about each other. He came to check me out, I eye him up. After the event we got together in groups.... I invited him back to my place. We had lots of fun talking. Planned for our official first date that following Monday. The anticipation of it all.

On our first date he told me he met the girl he was going to marry!! I love him because he is funny, handsome, a great dad, a real decent guy and we think a lot a like, but he is really level headed where I'm a typical dame!

GrammaStamper
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I met my DH through work. Well, actually, I was his secretary. I knew he was a keeper because one time, one of the ladies brought her new baby into the office and when John looked at him he had the most beautiful expression on his face. He was in awe of that baby and I knew then that a guy that could share his feelings openly like that was someone special.

He fired me in May '94 and we started dating in Sep '95. I personally believe he fired me 'cause he was in love with me and I was dating a very sexy Australian guy who phoned me all the time at work! JMO, he says NOT.

IslandStamps
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I met Joe through a church group, at someone's house. My first thought when I met him was "he's kind of cute but his hair's messy." We became friends for about six months or so, then started dating. He's my best friend and we have lots of fun together. I think I knew he was "the one" when I saw his relationship with a then 3 1/2 year old niece, and how important she was to him. She was our flower girl when we got married and is graduating from high school in a few weeks (sniff). Need to get started on her DiplomaBella card!

hutchink
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
OH my I think I'm the bad seed of the group! One of my really close friends was dating Joe and a couple other guys when Joe and I meet! We all worked at the same hospital together! He found out one night that she was dating these other guys....and sort of broke up with her. About a week later I saw him out at a local bar that all the hospital workers go to after work. We started chatting and make a date for the next night! We spend every day together after this! I do not have this friend anymore!

~K

ellie
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
There was a little dirt road across from my house. My future dh lived at the other end of it. There was a field with a brook and some woods along that little road where we all played as kids. I knew all his friends but never remember seeing him. When I was a senior in high school, mutual friends introduced us. They kept saying "I can't believe you don't know each other...you live so close"! We dated off and on for a couple of years and have been married since 1975.

Erin K
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Brian was my best friend in college and it never occured to me to date him and then one day he told me that he always wanted to ask me out and he did on the spot and I said no at first then got three steps away, ran back and said, "YES" and we dated and got engaged and married in like 8 months.

lisaguyon
06-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Well in 88 I was going in a bar with my then boyfriend and Now DH was the bouncer. He checked my ID and told me and I quote" Melissa you will be my wife oneday" I laughed and told him I went by Lisa and that I was there with my BF. He said he did not care. Less than two weeks later BF hit me and I went back to the same bar and DH was there. When he saw my face he was livid. We started dating the next day and were married less than 3 months later. That was almost 19 years ago.

A little funny info to me now is that on the first date he told me he had 1 son. About the 3rd date he told me he had 2. I was going to meet the kids and take them to Chucky Cheese and he said....Oh I better tell you that there are 3 of them.....I asked him if there were anymore and he promise that was it.

I knew he was a keeper by the way he treated me and I also fell in love with three wonderful little boys.

Lisa

midnitecreations
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Such cool stories. Makes me kind of mushy inside reading all these real live love stories. I met mine in Florida while I was living in Maryland. My then BF was in the Navy and stationed in Florida. I went to visit him. Almost all of my visit, we hung around his other friends (that ought to have told me something!). One of the guys we hung out with was my to be DH. They were going out to sea for a six month cruise so DH asked if I would send him some letters, comic strips, etc. We were friends for nearly a year before he told me he loved me. I had thought of him as a friend, so it took me a little bit to catch up. In meantime, to convince me that he was serious about me, he would call at 2 a.m. (he worked late). He would call me almost every night and I just fell in love with that deep sexy voice. We'll have been married 20 yrs this August. I knew he was keeper because he's never broken a promise to me.

Scrap This!
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
met my DH my sophomore year of HS, started dating in January of that year. Been together ever since. He was always kind and pretty easy going. He was often babysitting his little bro's while his parents went out so I knew he was good with kids. He also always worked really hard at the things he did.

mydogstinks2
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
My DH and I worked together. We went out as a group from work a couple of times. One day he came over after work for a few drinks. He drank a little to much and spent the night. The next day when I came home from work he was still there. He just never left! LOL We have been together almost 15 years now.

teabear
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
My DH was a room-mate and fraternity brother of my best friend. I thought he was too preppy for me. 20 years ago today he asked me to go to a formal with him on June 6th (2 day notice). I really wanted to go to that formal, so I accepted the invitation. We had a great time, but I think I really fell for him a couple of weeks later when we went to a wedding together--it was definitely the dancing! He wrote me these amazing letters all that summer and we've in love ever since. He's a keeper because he can always make me laugh and he always surprises me. Life is never dull around here. Our son was born 8 years later on the anniversary of our first date.

workin4stamps
06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
OMG! These stories are just TOO much fun!!

My DH is a salesman at a Ford Dealership, and he sold me a new car in 2000. I had just recently been dumped by a guy (I think that's why I was buying a new car.....it was supposed to make me feel better), so I wasn't even remotely interested in Brian at the time, and I picked up on NO hints or anything that he was interested. A few weeks later he called my house to do a "follow up call", and left this message on my answering machine. It was just the way he SAID it that got my attention (not what he said). He said something like "I'm sorry I missed you too!!", but it was in this really weird tone of voice that made me have to take a second listen. To make a long story short, I went in for MUCH service on my BRAND NEW car having things checked out, etc. I always made sure I looked real nice when I went in, and even tried to schedule oil changes, etc around lunch time "just in case". I also sent him a LOT of referrals. Well over a year went by, and I was in at lunchtime for an oil change, and he came over and chatted with me, and told me he was going across the street for lunch. He sort of paused after he said it, but he didn't invite me. I said "okay, see you later". Then like 5 minutes later, I thought to myself "You idiot!! He wanted you to go with him. Get off your butt and go over there and sit down and have lunch with him." So I walked across the street to Subway, and tapped him on the shoulder in line and said "do you mind if I have lunch with you?" and the rest they say...............is history.......I should add that that was TOTALLY not like me. I do not generally have that much self confidence. But this little voice in my head kept saying "what have you got to LOSE? How do you know what it could be if you don't step out of your comfort zone???" So I did.....and it really paid off!

He's a keeper because he really is my best friend. As much of a pain in the butt as he can be sometimes, and no matter how much he ticks me off (haha!), he really is my very best friend. We have a lot of fun together. I have had best girlfriends, and I can honestly say since I've been married, that DH is my best friend over any of them. I can talk to him about anything.

:-)
Traci

dgbearsmom
06-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Mine is a work story too. I started working at my current job 17 years ago. My DH started a couple of months after I did. After we had worked there about a year, he asked me out. I made up some lame excuse about having to study for a final (I was still working on my college degree) - which I did - but the real reason was that I really couldn't see myself dating a bald computer geek. Fast forward another five years. By this time we were working in the same department and one of the other girls asked me if I would be interested in dating someone I worked with because she knew someone who was interested in me, but she wouldn't tell me who. Well the only man who wasn't married or my boss was Bret so it wasn't too hard to figure out. I think I kind of made a face - I still wasn't into bald computer geeks. She says "For God's sake Judy, just go out with him. You don't have to marry him!" Two months later we were engaged and 1 year after that we were married. :laugh:

I knew he was a keeper when I realized that he was not a "typical" guy. He is the kindest most gentle man I have ever known, loves me just the way I am, and supports me in anything I want to do.

Judy

laos348
06-04-2007, 09:25 PM
This all depends on if you ask dh or me. We actually went to the same high school (he was a year ahead of me) although we didn't really know each other then he insists I carried a torch for him all those years!!
The real story is that I was good friends with his cousin (same high school) and was roommates with her at the time. We decided to go to a UCONN basketball game and near the end, she says, I thinks that my cousin and we all meet up and go to a local bar after the game. Dh and I start chatting (later I find out his cousin wouldn't let anyone else talk to us so we had to talk to each other!!). A few weeks later, he calls and asks me out. Of course within half an hour, everyone in her family knew we were going on a date - no secrets there!
I'm not sure when I realized he was a keeper - he was such a great guy from the beginning that I don't think it was even a real thought in my mind, just something I knew.

Laura

MyRnAbS
06-04-2007, 10:00 PM
I met my dh back in 1988 (mary jayne was with me), at my cousin's wedding. I had another boyfriend at the time, but when I saw my dh it was heaven for me ;) We dated for 6 1/2 years before we got married. I have been to hell and back with this dh, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I divorced him in 1998, and eight months later married him again :shocked: I think I was young and naive back then, but I know he's a keeper now because he's the only man that really knew the bond I shared with my daddy. DH had the privilege (sp) to wonderful memories of daddy. To me that's the most important thing. Well also that he's an outstanding father as well. He might be a little cranky with me, but not with my girls, and that is important to me.

suzi_f
06-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Dh and I met in high school. I thought he was cute but he had a girlfriend. After he graduated (a year older than me), I went to our local grocery store & he was working as a cashier. I went to the grocery store ALOT during that winter, trying to see if he would ask me out. He never did. Finally, after I graduated, he did ask me out. We dated for 2 months & then he dumped me 'cause I was going away to college & he didn't want to mess w/a long distance relationship. He asked me out once during Thanksgiving break but that was it. The next summer I found out he was dating the town tramp! A year later, out of the blue, he called & asked me out again. He and the tramp got into a huge fight & he knew the quickest way to make her mad was to date me! We dated for 2 years & proposed. But, since he was still going to school & working at the same grocery store, he said we had to wait to get married. We finally got married 2 years later.

I don't know that I ever thought "he's a keeper". I was young and we had dated for so long, it was time to get married. Although, I had a friend who had dated her Scott for 7 years and married him even tho she KNEW he was not a keeper. They were divorced less than 2 years later. I guess, now that it's been nearly 18 years, I guess I'll keep him.

GSMom385
06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Ok I am guess I am the really bad one of the group. I borrowed mine from my younger sister to take to the prom. Long story and it isn't as bad as it sounds really. My mother had this rule if someone asked you to a dance or function and you said no you couldn't go even alone without a date. I found out this totally looser guy( and he still is to this day, he is now in jail so I wasn't wrong on this one) was going to ask me to my senior prom, I was mortified, and went to my younger sister for help. She was dating a guy from another town someone nobody knew at my school. I asked if I could borrow him for the prom, she agreed. We went having never met before, had a great time and were just really good friends. I played it off we met at work since we both worked at the same warehouse together. Huge place with 800-1000 employees we didn't know each other from adam before the prom. Nothing happened honestly, I was a good sister and spent most of my time dancing with my girl friends and he talked to the guys he knew from work it was a win win for us both. Although she still throws it in my face to this day I stole her boyfriend. We were the same age, my sister three years younger. We both graduated and ended up at the same college (not planned at all, not even discussed at prom). My sister and he broke up that summer before he went to college, neither one will tell me why to this day. I ran into him in the lunch room at school one day, neither one of us knew a soul. We started having lunch together each day and the rest is history shall we say. We have been married for 18 years. I knew he was a keeper because he is very smart, and always acts like he doesn't know this, and it is some big shock to him. He got rotten grades in high school, and always considered himself not very smart, in college he was on the honor roll, his parents still think I did all his homework but I didn't, he did it on his own, he just needed a little encouragement and a good study partner. I guess I am his cheerleader it was a good fit, and we are lifelong friends.

shuggy
06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
i met kerry online through yahoo personals. i had signed up because i was sick of seeing the ads. he instant messaged me one night and we ended up chatting for about 4 hours. then we emailed or chatted everyday after that. after 2 weeks, i got up the courage to give him my phone number. after the initial awkwardness, it was like talking to a long lost friend. we went out a week later to a baseball game. i made my brother and his wife go with, cause you never know what you might be faced with! kerry has never let me live it down! we started seeing each other and going 2-3 times a week after that. after 5 months, we moved in with each other. this august will be 4 years together. we just bought our second house (but first together...) he's a keeper.

Canadian, eh
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
In the army reserves. We both taught army cadets in our city, and are officers. Don is a captain and I'm a 2nd Lt. Of course, I was a newby when I first met my darling.

directmailscrapper
06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Here's one for the history books!

I had just ended a 5-year relationship with the guy I thought I would marry. We dated through college and through his law school -- and just when he was getting ready to graduate from law school -- we broke up. We had NOT been living together, but I moved home with my parents while I regrouped.

My parents had a darling 2-year old cocker spaniel. One day in July 1981, we were all sitting outside when Bacchi started going into convulsions. My father rushed him to the Emergency Animal Hospital where he died. Richard was the parttime Emergency Vet technician who took care of Bacchi (his full time job was in the pathology department of the National Zoo). He decided on his own to do an autopsy on the dog to see what had happened. Turned out the dog had an unusual congential heart condition. He called my parents and offered to come over to explain to the family what had happened to Bacchi.

We all sat around the kitchen table while he explained what was wrong with Bacchi's heart. He brought a textbook with pictures to help us understand. Afterwards he and I got talking and he invited me out.

On our 3rd date he told me he loved me, on our 5th date he asked me to marry him. I was NOT ready -- I wasn't even sure if I still wanted to date him!

To make a long story a bit shorter, we got engaged at Christmas and married May 1, 1982 -- we just celebrated our 25th anniversary! Ya just never know!

tesschap
06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Such wonderful stories. I had been in a long term bad relationship that I knew would go no where. My bf's college soccer coach asked me out for New Year's eve, knowing that my bf had plans to take another girl out. The soccer coach had a friend and offered to fix up a 'double date' with by best friend. We went out, had a great time but neither my friend or her date liked each other. I didn't care for the coach either and the following week my best friend and I ran into her date while we were out. When we left her date tore a phone number out of a phone book at the night club where we were and handed it to me - telling me it was his phone number and to give him a call. It wasn't even his name so I thought he was joking! It turned out I worked with his cousin and mentioned to her that I liked him even though my best friend didn't. It got back to him and he stopped by my work one day and asked me out. We started dating in January and were married in October! 26 years later - here we are!

iloveflipflops
06-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Ok, its my turn ... I was first married at age 18. That lasted 5 years. Awful abusive marriage, mostly verbal abuse. I wanted kids, he did not so I gave him an ultramatim, either marriage counselor or get out so he chose to leave. Waiting for that divorce, I met Charlie who is my DH now. I worked at a sailboat company in FL and he sold sailboats at the time in NC. He came down for our company's dealer meeting. I was in sales but i had no idea how to sell a boat (and still don't!) He kept flirting with me the whole dealer meeting but technically I was still married but legally separated. He was also legally separated. Fast forward to 6 months, I go to another dealer meeting up in Annapolis, MD. He is there also, we meet up and flirt with each other. I am now divorced but technically he is not. NC law says you have to be separated for 1 full year before divorce. FL it was 30 days. So once again, we flirt with each other but that was that. Fast forward ANOTHER few months, I decide I am moving to NC to be near Charlie. My mom thinks I am crazy. I have never lived anywhere other than FL. Oh and at this time, Charlie was 43. I was 25. My mom REALLY thought I was nuts. So i move to Charlotte and he comes to my apartment and hangs out all the time. In the meantime, he gets divorced, he moves into my apartment, my mom still thinks I have gone nuts. He has 3 older kids, what am I doing she says?! We get married in 1991. Had Emily in 1992, Had Nicholas in 1995 and just celebrated our 16th anniversary. :) He is a keeper as he understands me better than anyone and he is my best friend.

MidwestStamper
06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
John and I both met in a Singles group called Singles Meeting Singles. I was part of the planning committee for this group--mostly I did the monthly Newsletter.

But for one event I agreed to be the 'contact person' : this was for a MN Twins Baseball game. The only person who contacted me to go was John. I had met him once before at a party and remembered him, but didn't know him very well. I didn't want to go to the game just with him, so I made my best friend go too.

John and I hit it off really well and just gabbed the whole night. I really liked his laid back sense of humor and I could tell he was a genuinely nice guy. We didn't really 'date' right away, but went to several other events with the group and talked on the phone ALOT. Eventually he did ask me to a MN Viking game, and I was a big fan at the time!

We dated for two years before we got married and have been married for 20 years now, and have two sons: Daniel 15 and Andrew 17.

cecescraps
06-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Okay, I'll tell all. :) Met Tom in a bar. He was separated- I was 22 and a CRAZY college student. He was everything a Southern, Southern Baptist father feared- 10 years older, Catholic, and a Yankee to boot (he grew up on Long Island,NY). But, he came to my house over Thanksgiving and my Dad had "THE TALK", as my family calls it, and after that he was okay with everything. Fast forward 20 years and we've been married 18.5 yrs., Patrick is 15 and Merritt is 13. I knew he was a keeper when I saw him w/ my step-children! Cathi

stampinmom3
06-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Well, bad girls here I am to join you in the ranks. I met my DH when we were about 18 and 19. My friends and I used to go to the mountains and party and afterwards we'd go back to the local Hardee's to hang out cause they were open all night and it gave us something to do. He would go there when he got off from his job to hang out. (small town, lol) anyhow, my friend worked at Hardee's and they started dating. They dated about 8 months. We were all roommates (5 of us)- everyone kinda just went there own way..fast forward about 5 years. I started working at his job and it was that instant chemistry attraction again. After getting some things worked out, because we were both living with other people-we've been together ever since. We just celebrated our 13th anniversary. Sorry, I know it may not sound so romantic like everyone else, but this is how it happened. And ya know what? When you have the chemistry you just can't walk away from it, no matter what! :] Oh, he is a keeper, because he is a great guy, OUTSTANDING father and I love him to pieces.