PDA

View Full Version : My Town

IslandStamps
06-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Today was a big day for my town. For many years, there has been talk of the Alaska cruise ships stopping here. Well, today the very first ship landed, and the whole town put on a show for the passengers and crew. I went by after work to take a look and got a few pictures. Here's one of them:
http://brenda.typepad.com/close_to_my_heart/images/2007/06/05/p6050094.jpg
The ship has actually docked alongside First Nations land, and the totem polls you see in the foreground are part of their cemetery. I kind of like the contrast of the totem polls and the modern ship.

I've never been on a cruise myself, maybe one day. Not real sure if they would be "our" (hubby and I) thing or not, but a vacation get away sounds good.

hbpuppy
06-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Wow, Brenda. That is a cool picture. Thanks for sharing.

DJP
06-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Great photo. Will that bring money to the town to have the cruise ship stop there? My Mom has gone on several Alaskan cruises and loved them. Debbie

MidwestStamper
06-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Going on an Alaskan Cruise is one of my dream vacations! I would like to go on the ones that combine land and sea. I haven't been on any cruise yet, but both my sons have! They went this past February with the High School Band on a Cruise to the Bahamas. They loved it!

IslandStamps
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I think the hope is that the cruise ships will bring money to our town. I guess that remains to be seen though. They had a nice set up at the terminal with lots of local artisans, and there is a shopping complex nearby as well.

Christie
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Wow, I really like those totem polls. I have a totem poll in my living room, but of course it's not that big! LOL!

cindi
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
great pic!
Cruises are not my ideal vacation either, but the ships are a sight to see!
:)

maxiesmom
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
So Brenda, what city is it you are in since I know cruise ships already leave from Vancouver. That's where we sailed out of last year.

tesschap
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
How exciting and great picture :)