PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on photographed vs. scanned card

inkinupstamps
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Honest! I will NOT double post a card again in the gallery but I would appreciate your opinion on these two cards as far as viewing them in the gallery. Do you prefer the scanned card or the photographed and staged card. Which do you find gives you a clearer image as well as detail of the card?

Thanks for your help and here are the two cards:

http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7329&limit=recent

http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7325&limit=recent

cindi
06-06-2007, 10:56 AM
there is a huge color difference!!!
Which one is more true to life??
They both show the detail well, so I guess it would come down to true color. Please let me know!
:)
Oh, & I like how wee can use props in the photo

inkinupstamps
06-06-2007, 11:01 AM
there is a huge color difference!!!
Which one is more true to life??
They both show the detail well, so I guess it would come down to true color. Please let me know!
Oh, & I like how wee can use props in the photo

Cindi, I didn't know that they show color differently. YIKES. My monitor is very old and shows everything horribly dark so I never see things the same as the rest of you.

I'm guessing that the natural light of the window would be more true to the color (Photographed). The scan gets the lid over the card and smooshed down. But I thought they would be the same colors.

Hmmmm....now I don't know.....

cindi
06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Did I mess this up for you??
I can see a big color difference though.
Which do you like better?

inkinupstamps
06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Did I mess this up for you??
I can see a big color difference though.
Which do you like better?

They look the same to me. What colors look different? HELP!:swoon:

GrammaStamper
06-06-2007, 11:09 AM
In this case, the scanned image is better. I have found that if I scan a card with embellishments, it comes out blurry and shadowed because the scanner top can't close properly.

Having said that, I prefer photographed images that are staged. Jennifer, I love your wallpaper! It looks like you photographed this with sun streaming into the house. Did you use the flash? When I take my photos, I have a cart on wheels about waist high. I cover it with a blue blanket to absorb some light and reduce glare, and then place it in front of the window, without full sun shining in and I pull the shade all the way to the top. Then, I sit down on the ottoman and take the photo at about the same height. I take two pics, one with the flash and one without. When I download the pics I choose the best and more often than not, without the flash is a more true colour pic. With the flash usually causes glare. I rarely have to adjust the colour levels after downloading.

JMO, sorry you asked, I bet!

cindi
06-06-2007, 11:09 AM

the photo pic looks more of an earthy brown..with orange tones ( sorry, it's the hairdresser in me)
the scanned one looks more of a chocolate brown
Does that help?
which is more accurate?

My3Ds
06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm thinking I like the scanned version the best. Which one looks the closest to real life? I love the card by the way. I would never have bought that stamp because in my mind it would just be a black blob on paper. How did you make it look so pretty?

GrammaStamper
06-06-2007, 11:12 AM

The photographed image has an orange feel to it. The scanned image the card base look ivory, the suede-like paper looks like a gorgeous soft brown.

inkinupstamps
06-06-2007, 11:18 AM
The photographed image has an orange feel to it. The scanned image the card base look ivory, the suede-like paper looks like a gorgeous soft brown.

Okey dokey! The card is on an ivory cardstock with a suede brown-cuttlebugged background. The turtle I colored with Prismacolor pencils and is brown and green combo.

The scanned version then sounds like the best representation of the actual card. I need to take photography classes.

Oh...and Barb, that isn't wallpaper. I flipped my lace curtains in front of a piece of white cardstock behind the card. Then when I was fooling around with setting up the shot I bumped the table and I think everything started to fall behind the setup! :swoon:

A photographer, I'm not.

Thanks for your help, ladies. You were really helpful. As I said, my monitor doesn't let me view things true to color. We are getting a new monitor for Christmas so it will be a while before I see TRUE COLORS on my screen. :err:

Jennifer :)

tojoco
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Jennifer, I don't see any color differences in the two. I use both ways -- digital and scanned. I mostly use the digital when there are embellishments on the card that I don't want to squash on the scanner. Digitally it's more professional looking and aesthetically more appealing to the eye. BUT, if I don't want to take the time to "set up" the card, I will just put it on the scanner.

p.s. when I look at the two cards together on the main gallery page, there is a major color difference.

logcabincreations
06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
The scanned one.

Jovi
06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I personally prefer the look of photographed cards. On most cards that are photographed you can see more details (glitter, Twinkling H2O's) items that the scan can't pick up. Scan's also have a tendency to make your projects look flat.

I think natural lighting works best, you may have to experiment with rooms in your house that would provide you with the best natural light. Sometimes on a cloudy or at night I use a daylight lamp.

Here are some basic tips that I've learned along the way:
Use natural light when possible
Don't use a flash
Use your macro setting (little tulip)

I like the way you staged your card in the photograph, but I think you need to play around with your lighting. Since you have your card placed in front of your window, your card is backlit. ;)

MidwestStamper
06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
To me the second, scanned card shows way more detail to it. The background paper almost looks textured--is it?

The layout of the first picture is pleasing, but it seems more back-lit and the other items in the picture detract from the card itself, so that my eye doesn't notice the detail of the card as much.

inkinupstamps
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
To each of you wonderful ladies who responded, I thank you SO MUCH for your advice and opinions and help.

I just took another photo using natural light and the macro setting and oh my goodness. The photo is a world of difference and improvement.

Thanks for your help. I love my new little camera (it is a Canon ELPH SD600 PowerShot) but I need to take some classes to learn to use it more effectively. In fact, I'm signing up for classes soon!!

Many thanks. You were all very helpful!:nod:

ellie
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Other than the color difference, I think the photo one looks more professional. It is so neat the way you have it displayed. I need to take some lessons!

Paula Carden
06-06-2007, 07:22 PM
I like both, but the photo shows the stamp you used (props)
the scanned probably shows the colors a little more truer.
Your scan is better than mine when I scan.