PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Strawberries from the patch

hbpuppy
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
My friend from church brought over 2 flats of strawberries fresh from the field today. That's 24 baskets of strawberries. OMG.

So, here's what happened. Sunday, I was planning the food for the 4th of July breakfast that I'm in charge of. Bill suggests we have pancakes with fresh strawberries and whipping cream. Yum.

He tells me he has a connection where he knows the grower and he can buy strawberries for $5 a flat. I told him he needed to hook me up and I told him about my mum's mile high strawberry pie. He joked that he would pay for our strawberries if we made him a pie.

So, it was a suprise when he arrived on my doorstep.

My plan tonight is to eat strawberries until I'm sick. My mum will be making pies. MMMMMMmmmm.

tojoco
06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Yummy yummy wish I was near you cause this friend would be sitting right next to you eating those strawberries!

tesschap
06-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Yummy - we won't have strawberries here for another week or so. I just love them - fresh from the patch, in a pie, shortcake, jam or anyway their fixed :)

directmailscrapper
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
$5 a flat! Holy cow! We are still paying $3/lb here! I remember when we used to pick strawberries as a kid. We'd pick TONS of them! Now there is only one pick-your-own place in the entire area here -- and people get in line in the wee hours. I can't face the crowds -- just doesn't seem right! You enjoy those berries!

BeckyButtshaw
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh I miss fresh strawberries from the fields! I used to walk home from HS past a field and the smell alone was wonderful!

cecescraps
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Yum-O! I got some fresh ones at the Farmer's Market on Saturday and they were so good. I made little pies in the individual graham cracker crust and they were the best. Can't wait to get more on Saturday.
Enjoy your berries and I think I paid $4 for one of those little containers. :)

cindi
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Man, girl..I love fresh strawberries!!!
I'm so drooling!
LOL
enjoy!
:)

GrammaStamper
06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm drooling--- we won't have fresh strawberries until July!!!

cindi
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm drooling--- we won't have fresh strawberries until July!!!

we won't have them here in Maine til then either!!
:)

ellie
06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I bought brown-sugar strawberries today...buy one get one free!

hbpuppy
06-07-2007, 02:51 AM
My mum ended up making 4 pies. I think I ate 3 baskets full. Never got sick. I guess I have a high strawberry tolerance. ;) I'll probably eat a lot of pie tomorrow. But, I am bringing 2 pies over to Bill in the morning (it's the least I can do). I hulled a flat and a half of strawberries. I guess we are pretty lucky here. Strawberry pie is a favorite Easter dessert around here. The strawberries start to ripen late February.

iloveflipflops
06-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Mmmmm! I just bought us a flat last week and it was so good. I love strawberries. Our peak season here in the Carolinas are over but we can still get them in the stores. EnjoY!