PDA

View Full Version : Strange deal at my house tonight

GSMom385
06-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Ok so I am stamping away in my room over the garage and I am in the zone if you know what I mean, it is pretty late, the kids are in bed, hubby is in bed and I hear the doorbell ring. I am thinking who in the heck at this late hour. So I remembered that one of my girlfriends was suppose to stop by and pick up some stuff so I hurry downstairs thinking it is her not really thinking because I had just been in the zone ya know. I rush to open the door and don't look out the peep like I should, flip on the light and this very scarey man with a cane, and few teeth, long hair and rather shabby clothes is standing on my step rather close to the door. So I quickly jump back and I had the screen door locked, which I always do, and he tries to open it as I slam the big door shut in his face. He continues to knock and won't go away, so I throw on the chain and ask him what he wants. He is looking for a Jessie Gentry and does he live here. Now I must explain why I found this weird, because we have this mailbox double a normal size with our name in 6 inch letters on it, a log in the front yard with our name on it, a rock at the start of our lane for the driveway with our name on it all lighted by the way and we live on a circle to boot, so we are off the beaten path and it is very obvious the family who lives there isn't named Gentry. So I asked what address are you looking for, well, I kind of forget, I can't remeber for sure but my buddy said he lived here. I said well there is Henderson Place where you are standing, Henderson Circle, Henderson Ct and Henderson Street all which have our house number. He says oh I think it was Circle, yeah that is it. I said well that is the circle over there and I point across the street. He thanks me and goes back out to his huge pickup truck, no plates BTW. There is another man sitting in the shadows in the truck. I am still freaked out, so I go back to my scrap room so I can watch them pull out of our drive down the lane. Which they do after talking for a long time in my drive. Then instead of going on to the circle across the way they head off down the highway toward Des Moines. I am telling you what if I hadn't had the screen locked I think he would have hit me with that cane and been in my house. I called my mom right away because I was thinking about calling the police and she said I really couldn't he honestly didn't do anything wrong, but now I am creeped out and my DH slept thru the whole thing and continues to sleep and he won't wake up no matter how hard I have banged around in the bedroom, and I guess I just really needed to tell someone. I am never going to be able to go to sleep tonight now. Guess I will keep stamping....it was going so well maybe I can get back into it and at least do something product until my insides calm down.

1of2shoes
06-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Yikes, that is scary! I would've called the police. Maybe they are on the lookout for these guys who are breaking into homes or something. Your home isn't on a major road, right? I don't want to scare you, but maybe you should call? It won't hurt and would give you some peace of mind. They were doing something out there in the truck, but who knows what? Give a call. Please. Give me some peace of mind.

ellie
06-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Wow-ie! That is really creepy. Thank God you had the screen locked. I think I would have called the cops and at least given them a description. You never know. I am glad your ok...hope you can get some sleep.

mjbonoan
06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
How creepy... Imagine I sleep alone most of the time cause DH has a permantent night shift. I've had weird stuff happen to me, but not as bad as this!!! Rowdy is pretty good at letting me know if someone is at the door, even if it's someone he knows.

hbpuppy
06-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Cindy, call the police. Let them figure out if it's a crime or not. You can always report "suspicious activity". I won't tell you any scary stories but call the police. You were very lucky but these guys might be up to no good. Keep all your doors and windows locked and turn on your porch, patio lights and any other outdoor lights. I'm sure they are probably long gone but it will make you feel better to take some precautions.

moosemama
06-07-2007, 05:44 AM
That is scary-it sounds like you did the right thing by questioning him and he figured that you weren't going to let him in. I'd have a hard time sleeping after that!

iloveflipflops
06-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Wow. I am just scared reading your note and i am a million miles away. Ok, not a million but it sounds good. Hope you got back to sleep and glad you are ok. Sounds like my DH. He sleeps through a frieght train!!!

tesschap
06-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Wow - how scary. I would definately contact the police and give them the info you have. It could be nothing but you never know. My DH is a sound sleeper too!

teabear
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Cindy, you can still call the police dept today, and I highly recommend that you do. They probably already know about these guys and you might have something to add to it. Plus, the guy has seen you and inside your home now and you really don't want him to come back. Tell them you are concerned and ask for extra patrols near your home for a while. That's something most police depts are happy to do. Sounds like you handled it well as soon as you realized what was going on. Big hugs to you...it sounds scary.

1of2shoes
06-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I hope Cindy called the police. I'm anxiously waiting to hear...

GrammaStamper
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I've got goosebumps just reading this whole thread. How frightening for you, Cindy. Yes, please call the police and tell them exactly what you said here. Your description is excellent and scary.

GSMom385
06-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I did call a friend who is on the police department and told him all about it. He said they have had several reports about these men sitting on our block and close to the school house. They think they are people trying to find someone to fore close on a car loan. In other words repo agents. But they aren't suppose to using the methods they are employeeing to find the guy or the car. He told me if I saw them again call the police they would like to talk to them. The part that has them bothered the most is they have removed the plates from their truck. This is not normal activity for loan agents and most of the time they notify law enforcement they are in town and who they are looking for, these guys did not do that. But based on the other reports they feel that is what they are doing, but they are looking for the same man in all reports. I felt a whole lot better after my DH got up at 2 am and we talked for a bit about the whole deal. We have been talking about getting security at the house since I have one staying home during the day now for a couple of hours by herself and I think he is definately going to put it in now. Thanks for listening to me guys, it was so creepy.

MyRnAbS
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
thank God u didn't open that door! the hairs on the back of my necj are standing. glad ur ok.

shuggy
06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
that's creepy!!!

Scrap This!
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
That is creepy. Glad you are safe.

I had a similar experience many years ago still wonder about that incident. It was late about 1:00 am and everyone was in bed but me of course, I heard a knock at our door, so I went down to DD's room where I could look out in the driveway to see who was there and old beat up car sat in my drive way. They continued to knock and I DID NOT answer, eventually they left. I then went and shook DH awake to go check outside because all I could figure was maybe the horses were out on the road and I didn't want them hit or anybody to get hurt. He went out looked around all the horses were still in the pasture. I scooped up DD and took her down to our bedroom, then spent the rest of the night on the couch wide awake, DH of course just went back to bed.