PDA

View Full Version : Erin (and anyone else who wants to give me advice)

suzi_f
11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Should I take in a semi-stray cat? There is a cat that's been wandering around my neighborhood for 5 days. She obviously has had a home, is well taken care of & is wearing a collar. She has no tags & no one on my street knows her. I don't know what the protocol is. I don't want her to be cold & I KNOW she's hungry. I don't want to "steal" someone's cat, I don't want to send her to a shelter that may not "keep" her if you know what I mean.

Normally, I wouldn't care so much but, there is back-story here. 1 year ago last Tuesday, we had to have our 16 yo cat put to sleep. The kids were destroyed over it & I cried a WHOLE lot more than I thought I would. Well, This cat shows up Wed morn, 1 year later & she just reminded me so much of Mandy. I know that she's not & it's just a stupid coincidence but, I feel like I should do SOMETHING w/this cat. At the very least, try to find out where she's from.

Thoughts? Ideas? Number of a no-kill shelter?:confused:

Erin K
11-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I'd take her in and put up signs. "Cat found call..." You could call the shelter and see what their policy is, maybe they will keep her for like two weeks or something then give her back if no one claims her? I worked at a shelter and we would do that or even we had a book of pics of cats that people were keeping at their home but that they suspected were really lost pets, then if someone came looking for their missing pet and didn't see it we could ask if they wanted to look at the book. Maybe they have some good idea.

inkinupstamps
11-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Sounds to me like you'd give her a great home. You've had a cat before so you know how to care for them (which isn't hard at all) and you've checked into other owners. I think she should stay with you.

I'd take her but I have three cats already, not to mention one LARGE dog and a gold fish. I live in a critter friendly environment, but ya know........sometimes you have to draw the line! LOL :D

scrappinnuts
11-12-2006, 07:37 PM
You sound like you have a big heart...take her in and advertise that she was found..then if no-one responds..then she will be lucky to have you all as her new family...

suzi_f
11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Well, before dinner, I broke down & gave her some left over chicken strips from dinner last night. She looked sooooo hungry. She gobbled them right up. Now, she's gone. I dont' know if she's back to the warm place she was before or what. I'm gonna keep an eye out for her & I guess I'll leave the garage door cracked w/a blanket in case she wants in. How do I keep out critters I don't want to keep warm tho????

stampcrazyjulie
11-12-2006, 08:10 PM
I would say take her in ! You could always watch the Lost Cats in the paper, & post a few signs around on phone poles or something at some of the busier intersections around. You could always let the Animal Shelter know too, but I would be afraid that they might want to keep it! :) Let us know what you decide!

inkinupstamps
11-12-2006, 08:13 PM
"Cats are like potato chips...you can never have just one!"

I never had a cat in my life until I rescued my kitties when they were abandoned in the countryside. My children were astonished that I'd take THREE tiny kittens when I'd not once in my life had experience owning and raising a cat. But ya know...once I had one, the other two were a piece of cake.

I'm sure she'll stay and be happy, or find her way back to her original home. Cats are funny that way. Keep us posted!:)