PDA

View Full Version : My DH wants to become a police officer

mydogstinks2
06-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm not to sure how I feel about this. He works with a few guys who are police officers part time. That is what he will be doing. I still think it is a little scarry to me. What would you think about it?

iloveflipflops
06-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I would not like it one bit. Will he have to go for training and all??

mydogstinks2
06-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I would think he has to go for training but who knows. I'm not even sure if he knows everything about it yet. I'm hopeing it is in the stage of "I'm just thinking about it" and not " I signed up already!"

MyRnAbS
06-09-2007, 05:55 PM
My dh wanted to be a DPS all his life, but certain circumstances didn't let him be one. I always feel super bad when he starts telling me about how much he loves it. Imagine to be stripped of your dreams! I think you should back him up, after all it's his dream right? All you can do is give him your support and pray for his well being. I wish you well in whatever he decides.

Firecracker
06-09-2007, 07:29 PM
If he is really wanting to do this, I think you should support him. I know it can be very scarey but the good they can do... Well, good luck with this. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Hugs, Heather

loobylou
06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
You could talk to Tami, I think her dh is a police officer. but I agree that it is important to support his dreams, whatever they are.
Sarah

hutchink
06-09-2007, 09:36 PM
As hard as it is, I think you should support his dreams! Let us know how things work out!

~K

Vintagegal
06-09-2007, 10:05 PM
While I can understand where you're coming from, I am proud of your DH's courage.

I perfectly understand where you're coming from, though. My DH was on his way to becoming a navigator (or the backseat person in a fighter plane). His eyesight got really bad during his Senior Year at the AF Academy and was stripped off that dream. We were engaged, and I secretly was thrilled that he lost that navigator qualification. But., at the same time, it was hard to see him feel "lost" and so sad.

If it's any consolation, my younger brother is always going to a battle zone with his job in the Navy. I am always worried for his safety, but I'm proud of his willingess to serve. If you look at it from that standpoint, I think it would be an easier pill to swallow.

ellie
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I can relate Chris. Two of my 4 sons went to school for criminal justice with the goal of becoming officers. I tried really hard not to say anything negative but was secretly glad when one of them landed pretty good job and decided to stick with that and the other one changed his major to business.

Deborah
06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Gosh, I've never even heard of "part time police officers." How does that work? Do those folks hold other jobs too? Is the training the same?

Educate us Chris!

I can imagine your concern, I think I'd have similar worries.

Hey Canucks, are there any part time police in Canada? I know we have some "community policing officers," but they're very different aren't they?

teabear
06-09-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm sending you a pm Chris.

mjbonoan
06-10-2007, 12:10 AM
I would support him and encourage him to follow his dream. I worked at the prosecutors office for 15 yrs and got to work with many peace officers. It is amazing the amount of courage and comradity that these men have.

mydogstinks2
06-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Thank you all for your support! It really helps me out alot. I have decided that I will support him in what ever he does, I always knew I would but I just needed to say it out loud. He has always wanted to do something like this but the timing was never right. I know he would be good at it cause he is at anything he does.

Doing it part time makes me feel a little better. Part time means that he will keep his full time 50 hour a week job and just do this on the weekend. I guess there are other times that he would have to do stuff too. They do go to all the same training and classes, that part I like. Plus he already knows most of the guys on the force and they all seem to like him for what ever reason! lol