PDA

View Full Version : The Hearing Was Awful!

mahodgman
06-12-2007, 08:40 AM
DH is devistated! The hearing for his SS Disability did not go well. The attorney didn't even let me go in. What an ass! So I don't have first-hand information just what DH told me. The judge was even more of an ass according to DH, and this guy has a reputation for being very difficult I guess. DH felt belittled, badgered and completely disrespected. The judge asked him about my income. DH told him money is tight, so the judge comes back with, "Well you had enough money to get a tattoo!" What is that about? That is just one example. We don't know what the outcome is yet, they don't tell you right there. Now we wait some more!

You know what really burns me up too is how much money the Social Security system is wasting while denying benefits to people who are entitled to them. This judge was flown up from LA because Seattle is so backed up. The office where the hearing was is in one of the fancy huge highrise buildings downtown. Why are they paying out all this money for fancy offices, airfare and hotel costs? That really ticks me off!

inkinupstamps
06-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh no! Mary, I'm so, so sorry to hear this. I had such positive thoughts that your husband would receive the benefits he deserves. Do you have any idea how long they'll deliberate?

Oh Mary! This is just not right. I'm so sorry for your DH to be treated so badly.

emmcee
06-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I was thinking about you folks on the way to work this morning hoping that all would go well. My heart breaks for you Mary and for your DH too. I just don't understand how some get disability so easy and some have to go through hell & high water to get what they need & deserve. There is still hope that your DH will get benefits.

mahodgman
06-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes, there is still hope as no decision has been made yet. The attorney has a couple of ideas he is going to persue too. He says the judge made a mistake in that he should have had some kind of advocate there because the SS paperwork says that DH has emotional issues. We aren't sure what those emotional issues are besides depression, but whatever works! I hope that the attorney will point out the mistake, and the judge will just sign the dang paperwork! That may be a pipedream, though.

I do appreciate all your well wishes, thanks so much! We will get through it.

GrammaStamper
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Mary, that is just awful. Why is it that those who really need are made to feel like they are asking for a handout. Is there an ombudsman who could speak on your behalf? They have such a person here in Canada when required.

emmcee
06-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Mary, you and your DH need to buck the system til there is no more left. My friend that I work with went through this same crap about 20 years ago with her DH and they went through 5 years of appeals but the last time they went to a hearing, the judge was such an asshole, that Judy's DH got violently ill and had to leave the courtroom and then he questioned Judy. Afterwards, the attorney told Judy & her DH that there would be no problem, but the thing that is your holdup is your DH's age. You all are in your 30's or 40's right? Well, Judy's DH was like 38 went he went through this 20 years ago.

Just keep doing all the things you are doing, keep good records and tell that judge to go to hell but wait till you are sure you'll get benefits first.

You're in my prayers.

workin4stamps
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm so sorry Mary. It really burns me up how people get treated in our system sometimes. My step-dad is trying to get medical benefits through the VA right now, because he lost his job a couple of months ago. His doctor told him a LONG time ago, that he should not still be working. He has had 2 heart attacks, and has one of those colostomy things, and just very poor health in general. Being the work-a-holic that he is, he continued to work for this company until they told him a few months ago they didn't need him anymore. What is boils down to, is that his health insurance was costing them too much money. So anyhow....the VA denied him medical benefits without even sending him to doctor! They are appealing it, but it's so frustrating. Hang in there.....I've heard that most of the time people eventually win, but not without a fight. It's really sad. I wish it were different. I hope they come up with a good decision for you soon!!!

Traci

lisaguyon
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I am so sorry that you are going thru all this. I will be praying for you and DH. Have faith and do not give up.

Lisa

mahodgman
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Mary, you and your DH need to buck the system til there is no more left. My friend that I work with went through this same crap about 20 years ago with her DH and they went through 5 years of appeals but the last time they went to a hearing, the judge was such an asshole, that Judy's DH got violently ill and had to leave the courtroom and then he questioned Judy. Afterwards, the attorney told Judy & her DH that there would be no problem, but the thing that is your holdup is your DH's age. You all are in your 30's or 40's right? Well, Judy's DH was like 38 went he went through this 20 years ago.

Just keep doing all the things you are doing, keep good records and tell that judge to go to hell but wait till you are sure you'll get benefits first.

You're in my prayers.

Yes, I'm sure age is a factor, DH is 43. We know someone a few years younger than he who is on SS Disability, and the only difference I know of is that she went from an employer disability program to SS Dis. I don't know why that would make a difference except that the private disability program would be fighting hard to get you off thier books and on to the federal program. My DH didn't apply for benefits right away because he was hoping to get better and get back to work. He didn't get better, he got worse.

cindi
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
my heart goes to you & your dh.
My brother weent through 4 years of this same crap before finally getting his diusability. the only thing that kept him going was Mom & dad, they paid as much of his bills as poosible..they are ion a fixed income. The whole system is just so messed up.
Hang in there.
My thoghts & prayers are with you
:)

flyingflower
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
some I know who's mom is trying to get disability said her impression was they alway turn you down the 1st 2 times. WHY does our system make it so dang tramatic?! My heart goes out to you

teabear
06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Oh Mary, I had hopes you would have good news. So sorry you have to go through so much drama for benefits your husband earned. I can't believe they belittled your husband--don't they realize how difficult it is for him to have to be there in the first place. Just sickening.

Paula Carden
06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Hang in there! It is tough when you go through this. Many people are denied 2-3 times before getting benefits- it is almost like a weeding out process to see who will stick it out. We were actually just discussing this yesterday at work, an attorney told us to instruct our patients/clients to not give up-keep fighting it. I know this is not encouraging but try to hang on and see if persistance will pay off -maybe this has gone better than it feels like for him right now.