PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is your summertime fun?

Far North
06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Since we live with snow covered ground from October through April I can't wait to see the summertime colors-particuliarly flowers! To make them last even longer I dry flowers in the summer to use in my stamping/altering projects all year long. Attached is a pic of my first batch I dried yesterday.

How about you-what special summertime activities do you do?
...Jan

iloveflipflops
06-12-2007, 10:34 AM
One of the things I DID LOVE was to pick blackberries but no more bb picking for me. These bites have got me itching something terrible!!!

Can't think of anything else at the moment. I am in a bad mood! :(

Spartymom
06-12-2007, 10:36 AM
One of my favorites is going to pick strawberries and blueberries at the local farm. I never did that as a kid and I'm enjoying it with my kids. Also, the beach of course. Or just relaxing on my deck and watching the kids play.

inkinupstamps
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Jan, you really got a GREAT batch of dried flowers yesterday! Is this using the microwave press? I have GOT TO get one!

My gardens are what I look forward to. My gardens are not all that big but I get a lot of pleasure from either canning tomatoes or seeing the color of all of the flowers. And this year I'm discovering something new that I'm just thoroughly enjoying...BUTTERFLIES! I've never ever had as many varied and beautiful butterflies in my yard before.

Christie
06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I think my fav thing is planting the flower garden and my jalapenos!!

How did you dry your flowers?

moosemama
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
We pick berries at local farms, swim, read, just try to take it easy. I still have to work during the summer so it's not much different for me than during the rest of the year, except the kids are home ALL day! We may try to do some camping, fishing.
Jan your flowers are gorgoues! What is this flower press thing for the microwave? I'm thinking I may need one. Did I mention how beautiful those flowers are?!!

cindi
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Normally we would be boating in the ocean all summer, but, we are not putting her in the water this year..df is just too consumed with school right now, sigh....next year though!
So I have my other faves, beaching it, gardening, long rides in the woods looking for wildlife. that will be my summer!
:)

lisaguyon
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Well I have to work like usual but we do take a mountain trip for the 4th and we love that. We also try to get a beach weekend. Lots of 4 wheeling and swimming. Love pic nics too.

Lots of cooking out too.

Far North
06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh I want to see pics from everyone's fun summer times. I loved seeing Jennifer's butterflies and Sherri's berries-last year and Cindi you gotta take some more MA beach pics for us!
Fern, the microwave press is called Microfleur Microwave Flower Press you can find some good info by googling the name. This year the wild roses and bluebells seem more plentiful than usual--it looks like I have groves growing in my forest LOL! If you double click my pic of the roses you can see some dried clear-that is what happened to all of them previously. I picked many that were deeper in color and not mature blooms.
Thanks for looking...Jan

teabear
06-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I can't believe you already have flowers, Jan! That is so wonderful. One of my very favorite summertime activities is the outdoor concerts. We pack a picnic dinner and a blanket and go listen to beautiful music in the park. I also can jams & salsa every summer with my mom...and that's something we've done for many years. It's so comforting to have traditions. The other thing we do every summer is to attend the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. It's hard to explain, but real people recreate famous works of art live on stage. It's an annual date night for hubby and I. I adore summer...only one more week of school...hurray!

firefly
06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh Jan those flowers are beautiful! Don't press them all before I get there to see all the beautiful scenery in person however!

We love to pick strawberries and make freezer jam - mmmmm! Also bicycling on our local towpaths is a tradition here! Sally

RrlscrapGal
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Also in snow country.... Growing season is about 3 months (first frost is usually Sept. 3rd)....
So, sunshine and heat are my friends- combined with any water body, or garden hose, or just plain being outside... 70 degrees to 80 degrees are my favorites... Eating breakfast out on the deck; a bbq at night with no wind; and peeking at the stars when everyone else is in bed are my favorites...
Today I took the kids to town and they biked on a bike path, I walked. ds had his 8th bday last month, I had ordered him a big boy bike (6 gears, handle brakes) and it finally came in... surprised him today! Kids got new helmets too... It was fun!!!
My least favorite: Mowing my lawn! It's a constant thing!