PDA

View Full Version : Sherri - Chigger Info

My3Ds
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I thought this was interesting about washing your clothes.

After returning from a chigger-infested area, launder the field clothes in soapy, hot water (125°F.) for about half an hour. Infested clothes should not be worn again until they are properly laundered and/or exposed to hot sunshine. Unlaundered clothes or those laundered in cool water will contain the biting chiggers to again reinfest your skin. As soon as possible, take a good hot bath or shower and soap repeatedly. The chiggers may be dislodged, but you will still have the stylostomes, causing the severe itch. Scratching deep to remove stylostomes can cause secondary infections. For temporary relief of itching, apply ointments of benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, New Skin, After Bite, or others recommended by your pharmacist or medical doctor. Some use Vaseline, cold cream, baby oil, or fingernail polish. (The sooner the treatment, the better the results.)
Prevention

Mowing of briars, weeds, and thick vegetation and close clipping of lawns, to eliminate shade and moisture, will reduce chigger populations, and permit sunlight and air to circulate freely. Chigger larvae can penetrate many types of clothing, but high boots and trousers of tightly woven fabric tucked into stockings or boots help deter them.
Before going into an area where chiggers may be present, protect yourself by using a repellent such as deet (Off MGK, Muskol, Detamide, Metadelphene, Repel, Diethy-toluamide) or permethrin available at many drugstores or hardware stores. Deet-based repellents are effective for only a few hours, whereas permethrin-based repellents are for use only on clothing and effective for several days. Apply the repellent to both the skin and clothing, especially on hands, arms, or legs, if uncovered, and to clothing openings at cuffs, neck, waistband, and upper edges of socks. . Keep moving since the worst chigger infestations occur when sitting or laying down in a sunny spot at midday with temperatures above 60°F. If possible, stick to roads and trails.

logcabincreations
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info....we live in the woods so we always have chiggers and ticks....yuk!

iloveflipflops
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I think I will do what your last sentence says "Stick to roads". No woods". ha ha

I am so itchy today. its bad!!!!

My3Ds
06-12-2007, 03:06 PM
They said to be sure not to scratch the bites as it spreads.

iloveflipflops
06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Have you ever had a bite that itches and you can't scratch it? Well, its nearly IMPOSSIBLE not to scratch but I am trying my darnest!!!