PDA

View Full Version : My dog is a dud!

inkinupstamps
06-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Newfoundland dogs are legendary for saving drowning people, pulling ropes to bring fishing boats to shore. They are swimmers and workers. They have webbed paws, for crying out loud! They are supposed to swim!

Bella won't swim. She's a dud!:twitcy:

Paul was in the pool and called to her to join him. She stood on the deck and gave him a wimpy bark. Paul went underwater. 'Bella watched and gave another wimpy bark. Paul calls 'Bella and slaps the water. 'Bella yawns and lays down with her back to him.:swoon::rolleyes:

Heaven forbid Paul ever drowns in the pool. The dog sure isn't going to save him! Perhaps the new puppy will live up to its legendary nature!

GrammaStamper
06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
That's too funny! Just throw her in and see what happens. I'm sure Paul could save her!

1of2shoes
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
That's pretty funny. We had a big fuzzy black lab named Bear. Labs, too, are known for their love of water. We took him to the beach. No go. We even took him to a pool and he wouldn't go in, so we walked him into the water. He freaked out! Webbed paws? I say chicken feet!!

cindi
06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
maybe Bellas not a dud..maybe she knew paul was faking & considered it "beneath" her legendary skill to waste her time???;)
lol I agree with Barb
Just toss her in!
:)

inkinupstamps
06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
That's too funny! Just throw her in and see what happens. I'm sure Paul could save her!

:twitcy: We put her in the pool last summer and so we KNOW she can swim. But dadgummit...she's supposed to WANT to swim. There is no way you can throw her 120 pounds of dogflesh into the pool. Paul even built her a ramp to walk down. She says Nope! No way. It is sooo hot and humid. I'd think a nice dip in the pool would feel good to her with all of that fur. :spinny:

flyingflower
06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe bribe her with a doggie treat floating in the middle of the pool?
(I have no idea - I don't own a dog, but it sounds good - LOL)

shuggy
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
but she is so stinking cute!!

Erin K
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
you better throw that dog in.

heehee
she's NOT a dud, I bet if yall needed her she'd do anything for you

workin4stamps
06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
That is funny. We want to take Colby for a swim, to see if he likes it. We were going to take him to his aunt's house with us tomorrow....but then I remembered he can't right now because he still has stitches in. Bummer. I wonder if he'll be a swimmer though......

That is so funny about Bella!!!

:-)
Traci

Christie
06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I think she just doesn't want to get her hair wet!! I bet if she thought he was in danger she would jump right in and safe him! Don't throw her in, it could make her scared to ever go in. Just try to coax her into going and I bet eventully she will.

ellie
06-12-2007, 01:39 PM
We had the same problem!!! Zoe is a lab...also has webbed feet and is supposed to be an excellent swimmer.
We tried to coax her into the pool and she was afraid. I know that Bella is rather large (lol) but you may have to carry her in the first few times. I think it might have something to do with their depth perception. I watched Zoe take a stick, hold it lengthwise in her mouth and put it down into the water to see how deep it was!!! And people say animals are dumb. Anyway, we coaxed and coaxed and gave her biscuits and finally, she came in. She will not dive or jump in...she has to use the stairs but she swims like a fish now. In fact, if we try to go in without her we are in big trouble.

inkinupstamps
06-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Y'all know I was just kidding, right? Well, not the part about 'Bella not wanting to go in the pool. She doesn't!

But I love her to pieces and don't really think she's a dud. Perhaps very lazy, but not a dud.

I think Ellie you are right about the depth perception. That may be what is bothering her. I can't keep her out of the bathtub when I run my bath! She steps in there faster than I can stop her. But with the pool she's looking down into the big, deep water.

Last summer we could lift her in and out, but this year she is so big! I mean BIG! 120 pounds and very tall and LONG in body. So lifting is out of the question.

Hopefully we can go to a lake and let her swim there sometime so she can wade in.

She's such a big goofball. Ya know I love her so much! :)

Erin K
06-12-2007, 02:29 PM
We know you love her! sheesh you talk as much about her as you do your daughter! ;)

I say shove her in! but that might just scare her.

ellie
06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
When Zoe wouldn't go in the pool, she would run into my friend's pond. She couldn't see the bottom...between that and the stick, that's why I think it has something to do with depth.
I had one dog who hated the water. I threw her in hoping she would learn to like it...I think it just terrified her and she never went near the water. Who knows what goes on in their furry little brains!

ellie
06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
OH, I just had an idea! (once in awhile I get one) If you have a friend who has a dog that likes water, why don't you invite them over to swim. Maybe when Bella sees her 4 legged friend swimming she will join in.

Erin K
06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
oh Ellie's idea is really good. dogs love dogs

hbpuppy
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Your story reminds me of the movie Must Love Dogs. She totally had to coax that dog into the water.

I think that deep water thing makes sense. I've had 2 labs that love the beach, like, I have to keep them from just running out past all the waves.
But, they get scared of pools.

Bella is such a cutie. She probably just has a stubborn streak.

iloveflipflops
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
That beautiful dog is no dud. No way, no how!! I won't hear of it. HA HA

Our springer is supposed to be a water dog and does she like the water?! NOPE. She runs and hides when its time for a bath. LOL

teabear
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Our big dog is a water lover, but only lakes or oceans, not pools. I think it's much harder to get into and out of a pool. We have a friend whose dog drowned in a pool, so maybe its good she doesn't want to go in there.

Erin K
06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
ohmygosh, I've never heard of a dog drowning in a pool. that is very sad.

mydogstinks2
06-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Bella just knows that she is a princess and did not want to get her hair wet! LOL