PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I go back to the dr tomorrow and what should I ask him?

iloveflipflops
06-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Tomorrow it will be 3 weeks since my surgery. It does look like its healing but not as fast as I would like ... can you think of any questions that I should ask him????

ellie
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Did you ask him about the wet gauze?

iloveflipflops
06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I asked them that last time and he said "You will be amazed at how it will work". So far i am NOT amazed!! So I will ask him that again. I just now how its supposed to heal with wet guaze on it all the time.

Sherry
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
That whole wet guaze thing is odd...you would think that keeping something damp and wet like that would prevent it from healing. But then again, I'm no doctor. Any time that I have had surgery with stitches I was told not to get it wet.

My3Ds
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Ask him if there is something he can put on it to promote the healing. After I had my oldest the area hadn't healed after 6 weeks. (Scar tissue I think). Anyway, my Dr. put something on that healed it pretty quickly (like a few days). I think it had something with zinc in it's name. I think my ds pediatrician also put it on their belly buttons when they were infants because the "stump" where the cord fell off was a little yicky. Good luck girlie.

shuggy
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
if it is an open wound, with no sticthes, then the wet dressing will help it heal. it's called healing by secondary intention. say you have a large cut that was stitched but then pulled apart. well, the edges of the skin are already healed somewhat and stitching it together won't work becuase the skin has closed and it will not heal back together. so you have to get it to heal from the inside out, basically. you keep the tissue moist with the wet gauze and allow the inner tissue deep in the wound to stay mosit and healthy so it can grow back together by the tissue granulating. it takes a long time, but eventually it will slowly heal from the bottom up.

does that make sense?

Sherry
06-14-2007, 01:25 PM
if it is an open wound, with no sticthes, then the wet dressing will help it heal. it's called healing by secondary intention. say you have a large cut that was stitched but then pulled apart. well, the edges of the skin are already healed somewhat and stitching it together won't work becuase the skin has closed and it will not heal back together. so you have to get it to heal from the inside out, basically. you keep the tissue moist with the wet gauze and allow the inner tissue deep in the would to stay mosit and healthy so it can grow back together by the tissue granulating. it takes a long time, but eventually it will slowly heal from the bottom up.

does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for explaining it :)

iloveflipflops
06-14-2007, 01:39 PM
That is exactly what my dr said Angie!!!! I just didn't get it. HA