PDA

View Full Version : My dog and I are working on a little project.....

workin4stamps
06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
It's called "independence". LOL. Colby is spoiled rotten. We got him in the middle of winter. We have an invisible fence, but we did not train him on it until the weather broke. So all winter long, we took him out on a leash to go potty. Now that summer is here, and he's all trained on the fence and all that, it is impossible to get him to go outside by himself for anything. He loves it outside. If we are out there with him, even if we're just sitting on the back porch, he will frolic around in the yard and roll around in the grass and lay around. I am on a mission to get him used to being out by himself before NEXT winter because I do NOT want to be making potty trips outside again. Today I set a timer for 15 minutes. I pushed him out the back door, and I didn't let him back in until the timer went off. He paced around between the back door and the side door. A couple of times he jumped up on the door and I had to yell at him. He did a lot of whining. By the time 15 minutes was up, he was laying out in the driveway watching traffic go by. We will try this again a couple more times today, and at least once every day until he gets better. I'll even increase the time as days go by. There has got to be hope for him (and me!!), right???

:-)
Traci

cindi
06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm nprofessional dog trainer, but this sounds like it should work.
Good luck!
:)

Christie
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Awww poor Colby. My dog loves it outside but must come in to check on me about 15 mins. then back outside he goes! LOL! Does he do ok when you leave the house? I think what your doing should work, but then I'm not a professonial. Maybe you should consult the dog whispher!

workin4stamps
06-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Does he do ok when you leave the house?

Colby does great when we leave the house. He stays in a crate when we are gone. He is totally content there. He was crated from day one, and has never had a problem with separation anxiety or anything when we leave. It's just separation anxiety when I'm 50 feet away inside the house that's a problem!! LOL.

One of my neighbors is a dog trainer and she's our trainer. I figure I will give this a go on my own for a while and see how it goes, and if it's not working I will consult her.

Traci

Christie
06-14-2007, 01:06 PM
That's good that you know someone to ask. I'm sure there is some reason he is like that. Maybe he is scared of the invisible fence when he's alone.

inkinupstamps
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Good luck, Traci. It sounds like a good plan.

Bella is getting a brother to play with outside! LOL Maybe she'll enjoy being out more with him. She goes out to do her business alone but she doesn't stay out.

ellie
06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
When you figure it out, let me know. Zoe will not stay out there by herself either. The second she notices we are heading for the door, she is right there beside us. If I try to leave her out, she will stand at the door and bark.

mydogstinks2
06-15-2007, 06:44 AM
best of luck with that. Sometimes it's really hard to change things we do with our dogs as puppies. When Tippy, our oldest dog, was a puppy she would eat her food to fast and get sick. I had to use a pie tin and lay the food in one layer then when she finished that I would add more. Now to this day, 10 years later, she still will not eat unless someone is in the kitchen with her.

Let me know how well the fence works because I'm thinking of getting one for our dogs.

inkinupstamps
06-15-2007, 07:21 AM
The inherent nature of dogs is as pack animals. Dogs love to be with their humans or with other dogs/animals. It is their nature to want to be chillin’ with their pals. Human company has become the pack leader and the companionship dogs love.

workin4stamps
06-15-2007, 02:42 PM
The inherent nature of dogs is as pack animals. Dogs love to be with their humans or with other dogs/animals. It is their nature to want to be chillin’ with their pals. Human company has become the pack leader and the companionship dogs love.

I guess that means Colby needs a brother!

Traci

inkinupstamps
06-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I guess that means Colby needs a brother!

Traci

Or a sister! :) I sure wish Colby and Bella could romp together. Colby would wear her out! :)

prdesigns
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Love the name Colby!!! That was one of the names we had, but chose Cooper. We just got an invisible fence. We always have tethered our dogs.... but bit the bullet and bought the fence. Cooper loves to lay on our porch or the driveway. We've only had the invisible fence for a month and I'm still checking on him. We found using words help us... Cooper inside! Copper outside! Cooper go for a walk! He seems to know what we are saying. We showed Cooper the bondries with a ball and lots of treats.... to dry and drag him away from the door. NOW, he loves the freedom of not being tethered.

PS we never leave our dog outside when we are not home. He is also in his kennel/cage when we leave the house.