PDA

View Full Version : Listen to this ... our dd got her 1st HPV shot about 3 weeks ago ...

iloveflipflops
06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I had decided she probably should go ahead and get the shot. DH was not all that for it but I felt pretty sure we should do it so I took her in and we got shot #1 (3 shots total). Ok, well, the doctors office has called me 3 times asking if Emily can come in re: her shot she got and I would ask "She already got the shot, why does she have to come in?" No response or they didnt know. Well, today they called me AGAIN and said they had to reschedule her appt for whatever reason and i finally said "Ok, I am not going to schedule this appt unless someone can tell me what she is coming for" so a nurse gets on and tells me this (I JUST KNEW IT WAS SOMETHING NOT RIGHT), "We went to count the HPV shots the other day and I noticed we had one extra shot in the vial and I thought how could that be because Emily was the last one that week they had "supposedly" given it to. Well, they found out the nurse gave her the WRONG shot - this nurse picked up the wrong vial and gave her a PPD injection which is a test for tuberculosis but from what i read online, it is supposed to go just into the first layer of skin and being this was a SHOT, she injected her with it ... by now I am freaking out. The nurse tells me they filed an incident report and nothing could happen to Emily but she would get a bump from it. Well, #1 its 3 weeks LATER -- why am I just now finding out about this?! #2 WHAT IF it was something worse? So now DH is trying to tell me just to hold off on the HPV shot as its so new and no one knows that much about it. Now I am hesitant of what to do ....

tesschap
06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Holy Moley - I'd be on the phone to the State Health Dept and asking some questions. I'm sure Emily will be fine but this is unacceptable. What if it was some other type of injection that could have harmed her!

iloveflipflops
06-14-2007, 04:29 PM
That is exactly what my DH said !!!

dreis1
06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I certainly would NOT let them give her any other kind of injection. One screw up is one screw up too many. Glinda

My3Ds
06-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Sherri - ask plenty of questions. It could be harmless, but I would want to know. Be sure to call plenty of health agencies (local, State, Federal) to see if you get a consistent response.

moosemama
06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Something similar happened to my DD a few years ago. Geesh, I wonder how that can happen. It sounds like if you hadn't pushed the issue they wouldn't have even told you what had happened. Glad you know what happened!

lisaguyon
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree with calling the Health Depts etc and asking about it. I do not remember enough about the PPD injection and I know nothing about the HPV one...but I do recall one of the nurses that worked for me at the Ped. office was injecting a PPD shot and the child jumped causing her to stick the needle further in than needed. The needle was VERY short anyway as that is the protocall for PPD but the med was injected into the babies sub tissue. The doc said it was ok.

Lisa

GrammaStamper
06-14-2007, 05:43 PM
OMG, to think of the possible outcome of something that shouldn't have happened is worrisome, to say the least. Glad Emily's okay and all.

Erin K
06-14-2007, 05:45 PM
I'll tell you what freaks me out the most, how reluctant they were to tell you. If it's not a big deal (although I'm sure she really will be just fine) The Dr. should have called you and explained right away and discussed the possible side effects of the shot, explained she wanted to see the injection site and generally be forthcoming about the whole thing. You had to twist thier arms to get the info and that's very strange to me.

As for the HPV shot it's probably safe and I would probably get it if I had a teen girl, but there are risks and I'm sure you are totally freaked out right now. Tough call, maybe you should wait.

shuggy
06-14-2007, 05:49 PM
i too, wonder why they took so long and why they were reluctant to tell you. talk to the doctor about it again.

as far as a healthcare worker prespective, from personal experience, one of the hardest things to do is tell a parent you have screwed up. one of my worst mistakes as a nurse was giving the wrong dose of a medication. if you want to hear particulars, i'll post a seperate post. it was so difficult to tell the parents.

iloveflipflops
06-14-2007, 06:54 PM
We are going to sit down tonight and write a long letter to the dr and make sure she knows what went on and say we want answers in writing ... we'll see what she does then. In the meantime I am going to cancel her next appt and figure out when and if we'll get her the shot later down the road.

ellie
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, I totally agree with Erin. I think in a case like this, the dr. should have personally called you. After all, he must have known how upset you would be and that you would have questions. I guess I would find it hard to trust them...not because they made a mistake, but because they were trying to hide it. You shouldn't have had to push them for the information. They could even have had you come in for an appt. just to explain everything and have the dr spend a few minutes answering questions. BTW, I thought the TB test was a tine test...the thingy with the prongs that just sticks your skin - they must have a new one out.

toao
06-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Holy cow I would be peaved! How scary is that?! Geez Sherri, I would raise cane with whoever I had to. And make them refund whatever you had to pay them. I would also call the medical board or whoever else. That is totally unacceptable. Thank God Emily is okay.

Mary

LinzyD
06-15-2007, 02:41 AM
All humans make mistakes, but it's how we go about owning up to them and trying to fix them that makes some stand out more than others. Erin is totally right, they should have just been upfront and honest about their error right away instead of trying to be sneaky about it.
I do hope that they formally apologize to you and Emily and hopefully learn from their mistake. I'm glad Emily is okay!
Linzy