PDA

View Full Version : bats!! We have stinkin bats!

mydogstinks2
06-16-2007, 04:22 PM
If you have ever heard a bat you know that you never forget that souind. I was walking up to the house from the pool and I heard it. I was looking all around, cause it's still daylight, but I did not see any. Then I looked even closer up twords this spot under my roof and you could see them. They were there making sounds at me and looking at me! Me and my BIL got our B-B guns and was shooting at them and they went inside! You could hear them scurrying around. CREEPY!!

iloveflipflops
06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Ooooooh this reminds me of my very house I had in FL, when i was living on my own. We had 1,000's of bats living in our attic or eaves or something. it was totally grosse!!! We could not get rid of them either.... yuk. Good luck!

Erin K
06-16-2007, 04:41 PM
They are good, they eat bugs. I hate bugs.

ellie
06-16-2007, 05:12 PM
We have them too. They eat tons of skeeters and other pesky bugs. We see them come and drink from our pool in the evenings. I like bats better than mosquitoes.

iloveflipflops
06-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Hmmm I wonder if we have bats out here in the "woods". I have never seen them but I bet we do...

ellie
06-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Sherri, I bet you do too. They are pretty harmless though...if you see them flying about in the daytime, that's when I would be concerned.

Deborah
06-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, on the more positive side, now you could change your avatar to "My Bat Stinks!"

Canadian, eh
06-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Yikes! Run for the hills!!

MyRnAbS
06-17-2007, 12:00 AM
So then they are not dangerous? Do they turn us into vampires? Okay well I'm just asking cause I've seen so many movies!

Erin K
06-17-2007, 12:17 AM
No they are fine. In Tallahassee at the one mall they have these huge cool bat houses as a natural way to combat mesquitoes and they really work.

If they are up in your attic that might be a problem, I'm not sure if they tear stuff up. But they are pretty much harmless otherwise. And they really will eat a TON of bugs. I think you should appreaciate them. They are really pretty cool.

MyRnAbS
06-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Okay so long as you all don't get turned into vampires, it's all good then!! I suppose!

Erin K
06-17-2007, 12:25 AM
vampires are sorta cool though...

suzi_f
06-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Our first house had spiders SOOOO bad. I told dh I wanted bats then. I did see the coolest bat houses. They were neat. Are bats able to "survive" anywhere in the US/Canada? I'm guessing they don't have them in Alaska (I'm guessing there aren't a lot of bugs there either) but, are there areas that are too hot or too cold to sustain them???

Erin K
06-17-2007, 10:32 AM
they live here in the hot. I don't know about the rest of their range though. Here's a map but I find it hard to believe there are no bats out in the California area? http://nationalatlas.gov/mld/bat000m.html

Erin K
06-17-2007, 10:33 AM
http://nationalatlas.gov/natlas/Natlasstart.asp nevermind, if you go to this page they have a drop down and you can pick which breed of bat you want and they are tons of them and they are all over the place.

mahodgman
06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
There are bats in Washington. The summer camp I worked at a long time ago had them in some of the cabins. We would see them flying around sometimes.

workin4stamps
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I thought you meant you had a bat in your house!! Do you mean they're outside flying around??

I always see them flying around the street lights and stuff....they love light. When i was little, a bat had gotten into our house, and it was flying around in my bedroom and woke me up one night. I was trying to scream but I was so scared that I could hardly get anything to come out. LOL. My little brother finally heard me and he came running down the hall saying "I'll save you sissy, I'll save you!" hehe. I should ask him if he remembers that!

Anyways....sorry about your bats...they usually don't bother too much though....just don't let them get in your house!!!!

:-)
Traci

mydogstinks2
06-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't mind the bats outside but I don't want them living in my house or attic! The bats are good for bugs but the poo is very bad for you. I do not know how to spell it but the poo can cause an eye desease. I have that eye desease. It was found about 8 years ago, I had to have laser surgery to stop bleeding in my eyes. Now I have blind spots from it.

I just don't want to poo-dust to fly around and my nephews end up with the same stuff. We are going to have someone come and look around the attic. If there is no poo then we are fine, but if there is out go the bats!

teabear
06-18-2007, 04:43 PM
oh, yeah, bat guano is bad stuff. I think that's what they call bat poop. I hope they aren't in your house, Chris.

Oh, and yes, we do have bats in CA. They eat the bugs...hurray!