PDA

View Full Version : Am I just old?

ellie
06-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, we had quite a weekend. My 21 yr. old son plays a game online with his 3 brothers, several close friends, and a million people from all over the world. He and his friends have been playing in the same group for about 2 years now. Well, 2 girls from that group came here from Utah to meet them this weekend. They stayed at my house and all the local people hung out and went to dinner and played the game.
OK, here is my question...does anyone else think it's strange that these girls are 16, and 18, and their parents didn't seem one bit concerned that they were flying across the country to meet a 21 yr old they have never laid eyes on and stay at his house and spend 4 nights with them? There was no phone call to talk to me...mabye get a feel for what kind of person I was...no way to get in touch with them if anything happened....NADA!
They seemed to be very nice girls...even made their beds before they left...but it is after all the internet. Do you think this is strange or am I just being over-protective.

prdesigns
06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
It's not you, that's strange! Strange, strange!! You hope you raise your children to make good choices. But there are so many creeps out there. I have no advice, but I do think internet friends are great..yet meeting them long distance and when minors, it's strange!

scrappinnuts
06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I have two girls... One that is 22 and the other 19... even at the age they are now I would never let them go and do that.. call me over protective.. but you just never know.. I know that I would have at been monitoring the game very closely especially at that age. Glad it turned out ok..and I am sure your sons are great...have a 24 year old son myself... Just sounds very strange.

cindi
06-18-2007, 11:01 AM
sounds strange to me, too
I wonder if the girlstold their parents wehere they were really going??
I wonder if they may have fibbed!
If not..what kind of mother wouldn't be worried to death!
:confused:

ccstampin12
06-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I am appalled! And, I am old. I think that is horrible! I wonder if they told their parents a story about where they were going!
Wow! This worries me!
Joanie:wideeyed:

Spartymom
06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
There would be no way I'd let my girls do that. That's weird how you didn't get a phone call from the parents either. Will they still keep in touch with your boys?

MidwestStamper
06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I have BOYS that are 15 and 17 and I wouldn't let them do this, much less if I had girls! And I can't even imagine spending the money to fly them to this unknown destination, with unknown people, without some kind of chaperone!

GrammaStamper
06-18-2007, 11:53 AM
sounds strange to me, too
I wonder if the girlstold their parents wehere they were really going??
I wonder if they may have fibbed!
If not..what kind of mother wouldn't be worried to death!
:confused:

As I was reading this I was thinking this very thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they told their parents they were going away with the other one for the weekend.

Very strange and worrisome, too!

pesc
06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Even for a girl who did meet her husband by Internet... I feel it's unsafe... I did once went to meet someone at his parents place... I was 24 years old... and I had let my roomate know where I was, even my father new and had the address and the phone number just in case... I had to call him at precise hours... for him not to worry... and I was major... so yes it's strange and unsafe for the girls. They are lucky they "fall" at your place and it was safe!!
Pesc

Canadian, eh
06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, very strange indeed. I'll bet these girls didn't tell their parents. Thank goodness this was a safe trip for them. Next time it may not be.

teabear
06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Holy smokes, don't their parents watch tv. It seems like every week, I hear about some child being abused after meeting someone they met on the net. I just don't know what to say about it...yes I think it's beyond strange.

ellie
06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I am so glad that it's not just me. The thought has occurred to me that they might not have told their parents. If that is the case, I sure hope they find out...maybe a ticket stub or slip up by one of the girls. I just can't imagine having that much nerve at the age of 16.
Even though I am the mother of grown boys, I would not want them doing this.

Erin K
06-18-2007, 04:41 PM
yes, that totally freaks me out.

iloveflipflops
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Part of me thinks they each lied to the other parent and did not tell they were going so far from home. I would NEVER let Emily fly to a different state or clear across the US to visit someone that I did not know or never talked to. WOW!!! You can't trust too much these days.

Did everyone get along ok?

mahodgman
06-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Nope, you're not old! Those girls did a stupid thing, and it is just a good thing it all turned out ok. Did you know thier ages before they came? I think I might have wanted to talk to the parents before I let them stay at my house.

ellie
06-18-2007, 09:58 PM
You better believe that if they ever plan on visiting again, I will ask to speak to the parents. I mean, they were very nice girls...very polite...no cussing, smoking, ect. They sat on the couch and chatted with me...always a plus when they are willing to spend time with parents...but still. I guess I am concerned for their safety. Just the fact that my son is 21 and his brother is 28...one of the guys in the group is almost 40...he is sweet and safe but THEY don't know that. What parent in their right mind would consent to this?

shuggy
06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
that is crazy!!!

lisaguyon
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
scary...I still check out what is going on with all my boys that live at home. the ones that live away from home I can not but the 21 yo that lives at home I keep very close tabs on and especially the 17 and 15 yo.

Can not believe this happened just glad it all turned out ok.

Lisa

Clarissa
06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
You better believe that if they ever plan on visiting again, I will ask to speak to the parents. I mean, they were very nice girls...very polite...no cussing, smoking, ect. They sat on the couch and chatted with me...always a plus when they are willing to spend time with parents...but still. I guess I am concerned for their safety. Just the fact that my son is 21 and his brother is 28...one of the guys in the group is almost 40...he is sweet and safe but THEY don't know that. What parent in their right mind would consent to this?

I would call the parents, even now that they are back home. The really need to know what is going on with their daughters, and if the parents did know I would let them know how lucky they are that your son wasn't a 50 year old rapist who likes to keep his prey in a dark room in his basement etc...

I actually would have been a little nervous about having strange girls in my home too- you never know anymore.. even gamers can be delinquents. I think working in the court system has tainted me.

MyRnAbS
06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
:shocked: OMG!!! WTH?? They traveled alone? To meet some guy that they had no clue what or who he was?? I'm speechless!!! I'd have to be dead in order for my dd's to ever do that!! NO you are not too old!!! I'm freaking out!!