PDA

View Full Version : Passport ?

ellie
06-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Ok, my son is supposed to be leaving for Guatemala tomorrow morning. He is one of 6 adult chaperones on his church's mission team. We were packing his stuff and I looked at his passport and it says it expired in May. I thought passports were good for 10 years. Needless to say, he is pretty upset. Do you know if they can travel with other forms of ID?

teabear
06-18-2007, 09:49 PM
The only thing I do know is that passports issued to minors are good for 5 years and for adults it's 10 years. Was he a minor when it was issued?

cindi
06-18-2007, 09:50 PM
the government has issued a staement about certain countries not needing a passport right now, but you have to show proof you've applied for one.
I don't think Guatamala was one of the listed ones.
I would say call your local federal building and see what they say.
good luck
:)

iloveflipflops
06-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes if he was a minor when he got it, its only good for 5 years. I don't know what he is going to do. I do not think he can go without one.

scrappinnuts
06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Ellie.. Seems to me that I remember that if on a missoinary trip you don't need a pass port..or at least that is what happen when my DD went on a Mission Trip to Mexico..she was over 18 at the time... last year. But you might want to check with the church they should be able to help you.

MidwestStamper
06-18-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm surprised the coordinators of the trip didn't carefully check everyone's passports! That's something that's become so important since 9-11 and issues of national security.

My two sons went on a Band trip to the Bahamas this past February, and we started the Passport process back in October for the younger DS. The older DS had been to Ireland in 2005, so his passport was still good.

But I know the Travel agency we worked with made sure everyone's passports were current--especially if they were minors when they got their passports from previous trips.

ellie
06-18-2007, 11:47 PM
I was so certain that it was still good. I was stunned when we looked and saw that it had expired...I didn't realize that he was only 15 when he went the first time. Hopefully, because he is part of a church group everything will work out.