PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to send in cards to Take Ten Magazine?

iloveflipflops
06-19-2007, 08:19 AM
I have 10 cards I am submitting. Certainly ONE of these will get in one of their issues. LOL

Wish me luck!!

Lisa
06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I think I might...but they have to be new and not in our gallery is that right??
Lisa

iloveflipflops
06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
oh i don't know about that. I just sent them ALL that i have posted in the gallery. Oh well....

Erin K
06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
They CAN be in our gallery, the girl who does it posted that on SCS, it's ok for them to be in the gallery or on your blog just not in another magazine.

I'm gonna do a whole stack of them.

GrammaStamper
06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I think I'll send some in as well. Are we putting that we are members of The Stamp Shack on them, or just our names and other information?

iloveflipflops
06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I just put my name, city and zip code and the supplies I used on each. If I didn't know what brand of paper, I just put unknown but I think I knew most of them.

Clarissa
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Just a friendly reminder.... they have to be cards that can be made in 10 minutes or less. There has been some flack lately that the cards in take ten couldn't be made in 10 minutes. I need to look through my issues though as I am not sure of the original designer had to have made them in 10 or if they could be reproduced in 10 minutes.

Heck- I am so slow I could never make even the most basic of cards in 10 minutes or under even if it was a kit and all the cardstock was precut!! ;)

Vintagegal
06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I've sent them 23 cards since April. I think I'm going to wait until mid-July before I send in more cards.

Just a friendly reminder.... they have to be cards that can be made in 10 minutes or less. There has been some flack lately that the cards in take ten couldn't be made in 10 minutes.

This is really interesting. I've never thought any of the cards in Take Ten couldn't be made in 10 minutes or less. I think the skill levels are so varied; and what would take me 10 minutes or less to make might take somebody else 20 minutes. For example, if you have no experience with alcohol inks, it might be frustrating for you to create a background with alcohol inks. Or, if you have to wait for gesso to dry (that could take 30 minutes); then I don't think a card like that belongs in Take Ten.

Clarissa, where are the "complaints" coming from? Just wondering. Are they published in the Take Ten magazines, or are you reading this from somewhere else? I'd love to read the comments myself. I've been published in Take Ten several times, and I tend to think that my cards could be made in ten minutes or less.

laos348
06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I've debated on it but you don't get the cards back and they may hold the cards forever to use at a later date or decide to not use it and mail to the charities they use. I've never been comfortable with the not knowing so I only usually submit to places that will return my card if a send in a SASE. This way, if they don't want to use it, I can try another mag.

Laura

Vintagegal
06-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I've debated on it but you don't get the cards back

I've gotten just about every card back. Out of the 50 or so cards I've sent to them, maybe only six have not come back. I always send postage with my cards. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

Erin K
06-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I like that they eventually donate them if they don't use them. I don't really care about getting them back and that way someone will enjoy them, so either they will be published or they will bring a smile (or in the case of my goofy humor a smirk) to someone.

It takes like one minute to make a simple alcohol ink background, so I do put those in there. (Well one, I don't do many) I don't time myself, but I put the ones that I could do in ten minutes or less. All my stuff is pretty simple though. And I don't do coloring that takes a long time. Anyhow I'm not worried, if they don't believe me they won't publish it and live will go on.

I just wrote out supplies and my address and email (Sherri you gotta put email I think? At least your address so they can send you your comp issue) for TWENTY cards! :)

Far North
06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
In the "Hall of Fame" Forum Sherry has a wonderful link to the magazines that will accept submissions of cards and stamping.

The Ten Ten info says....."Make sure brief instructions and stamp credits are attached to each piece, as well. If you would like to be notified when your artwork reaches our offices, simply enclose a self-addressed and stamped postcard, and we'll mail it back to you."

On SCS the new managing editor said they are due July 15 although the last magazine said August 1st...perhaps she feels she needs longer in her new position.

...Jan

iloveflipflops
06-20-2007, 05:46 AM
After I put mine in the mail yesterday, I realized I did not put an email anywhere on my stuff. So if someone gets this magazine and sees me in it, you will have to let me know. I will have no idea as i never even see these magazines around here either... lol

laos348
06-20-2007, 07:58 AM
I've gotten just about every card back. Out of the 50 or so cards I've sent to them, maybe only six have not come back. I always send postage with my cards. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

That's cool Ethel because their rules state specifically that for Take Ten they won't return items. I've just pm'd the woman at SCS and asked her this very question.

I guess my problem with this practice is that I really want to know if they don't want it. Once its been sent back/rejected, I can submit it elsewhere. I've probably had 5 or 6 cards that were accepted in other mags but rejected the first go around. And once I've submitted something, I never submit a similar design elsewhere so by submitting that card to Take Ten, I've taken it out of commission if it doesn't get published.

Laura

Vintagegal
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
That's cool Ethel because their rules state specifically that for Take Ten they won't return items.

I know. I've even gotten a letter saying they donate the cards to a good cause. That's great and everything, but I've always gotten my cards back (probably because I send them postage and ask them to return my cards). The other weird thing is that when my card IS about to be published, they send the card back to me WITHOUT a note or anything. Just the card. Two weeks later, I get a postcard or letter saying "Your card is about to be published in an upcoming issue of Take Ten/Stamper Sampler." The sad thing is 90% of the time, I've forgotten that I've sent them a specific card. When I get it back in the mail, I always have a suprised look on my face ("I completely forgot that I even sent them that card!")

The other thing folks have to remember is that many magazines will work six months ahead of schedule. So, if you send them cards now, you more than likely won't see your card in print until the February/March 2008 issue (the cards they're photographing now are appearing in the December 2007/January 2008 issue). So, don't be disappointed if you don't hear whether your card is being published or not until December or January.

laos348
06-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Ethel,

I'm going to do what you do and just send them my SASE with the submission. Thanks for letting me know how they've handled yours before.

Laura

Vintagegal
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Laura, I don't think it would hurt. What I've done is slip a first class stamp in a little bag (like the kind that would hold a few beads, but it's ziploc style). I staple that to the back of the card, but it's tucked on the INSIDE of the card, so the stamp doesn't block the instructions. Then, I include on the BOTTOM of the instructions "Return postage stapled to the inside of this card. Please return the card to me if you are finished with it. Thank you." I do this with EVERY card I've sent them. They don't seem to have a problem with returning my cards to me. Good luck! I hope more of your cards are published. That would be way awesome!

workin4stamps
06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I like submitting to Papercrafts, because you can do it electronically. That's handy.

Also, if they accept your card (I'm talking Papercrafts again here...), they will ask you to remove it anywhere it is posted online. I'm sure each mag has it's own rules though.....

:-)
Traci

Clarissa
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
I've sent them 23 cards since April. I think I'm going to wait until mid-July before I send in more cards.

This is really interesting. I've never thought any of the cards in Take Ten couldn't be made in 10 minutes or less. I think the skill levels are so varied; and what would take me 10 minutes or less to make might take somebody else 20 minutes. For example, if you have no experience with alcohol inks, it might be frustrating for you to create a background with alcohol inks. Or, if you have to wait for gesso to dry (that could take 30 minutes); then I don't think a card like that belongs in Take Ten.

Clarissa, where are the "complaints" coming from? Just wondering. Are they published in the Take Ten magazines, or are you reading this from somewhere else? I'd love to read the comments myself. I've been published in Take Ten several times, and I tend to think that my cards could be made in ten minutes or less.

The beef was over at SCS where some gals were exclaiming that they had lost interest due to the cards not being doable in 10 minutes or less- I bet you could find the thread if you searched for it. (unless it's on the demo side)

JBgreendawn
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
last night i did two really simple cards (the first i don't even like)
and neither one of them was finished in 10 minutes... (they are both in my blog, but they are not good enough to put into the gallery)

I think i am a 30 minute card maker no matter what.
So, im probably not going to send anything to take ten ever... but, Im considering mailing a few to stampers sampler... sometimes they have more detailed cards in other sections of the mag...

allinkdup
07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
I am a fan of quick and easy so I am usually less than 15 minutes a card anyways. I took an hour on a card once...NEVER again! LOL I like to get 'em done quick!

Paula Carden
07-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I have seen your work-I bet all 10 will be picked for something.
If not they don't know what cute cards are!