PDA

View Full Version : Anybody "into" Vera Bradley? Funny story

directmailscrapper
06-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Up until a few weeks ago, I had never heard of Vera Bradley. Then my 10-year old DD told me that "all of my friends" have VB purses. Since her birthday was coming up, I went online to check them out. The only place I could find them online was eBay. Wasn't sure I wanted to bother.

We were going to be on vacation the week of her actual birthday, and celebrated her birthday with extended family the weekend before. I wanted a gift to surprise her with on her actual birthday, and figured a VB purse woudl be perfect.

The Friday before we left for vacation, I asked some of my co-workers if they knew where I could buy VB. Well wouldn't you know it -- one of them jumped right up, showed me her gorgeous VB purse and told me that there was a store nearby! I hopped in my car and went right over.

OMG! It was like a candy store for VB! They had tons and tons of the stuff in every pattern and style. I knew which pattern Emily liked and picked out the purse, makeup bag and a wallet. Then got the matching lunch box. Then realized that a VB purse would be PERFECT for ME for a vacation purse. Spent forever picking out which design, bought a purse and wallet.

On my way home, I realized I had really screwed up. Once Emily saw my VB purse, she would know that I had gotten one for her as well. So much for the surprise... What to do... What to do...

When I got home, I rushed into the house super excited. I ran up to Emily and said, "Honey, you will never guess what happened to me at work today!!! I had helped this woman with a huge project the other day and she was SOOOO grateful -- she came to see me this morning. She told me that she had received this purse for her birthday and didn't like it -- would I want it?"

My daughter almost flew to the moon. "You mean you got a FREE Vera Bradley purse?" Before I knew it, she had e-mailed all of her friends that her Mom had just gotten a FREE VERA BRADLEY purse!!!!!! What had I started???

On her birthday she WAS surprised and thrilled. And immediately looked at me and said, "Wait a minute, your purse wasn't free, was it?" I fessed up and we both laughed.

I have to tell you, I absolutely love my purse. Who knew?

Erin K
06-28-2007, 04:06 PM
that is super funny

Vintagegal
06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
That is cute, Nancy! I love VB too. I only have a coin purse, though. Which pattern did you pick out? My fave are the black purses with some color. There are several different color combinations, but I like black as the dominant color.

directmailscrapper
06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I have the black one with the bright flower print. My DD hates it (relatively speaking). She thinks I should have gotten the green one. It is a beauty!

ccstampin12
06-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I LOVE VB stuff!
I have several purses and wallets.
Some I bought, some DD bought for me.
The one I'm using right now is the one with Lilies of the Valley and pink ribbons for breast cancer. (My Mom had BC).
I have a navy bandana-like print, brown with dark orange, yellow and pink print called "Elizabeth", and I bought a dressy small one that is black with white embroidery.
Love VB....I must stay away from shops where they sell them or I'll buy more!
LOL
Joanie

directmailscrapper
06-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Who knew? I had no idea of what a VB purse was until a few weeks ago -- now I see them EVERYWHERE! And now I want a bigger one....hmmm.... birthday's comin up......which pattern...... which style......how many! :-)

emmcee
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I like VB as well. My purse is black with red/beige pattern. Still using a winter purse, but I have the change purse to match.:nod:

dreis1
06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Great story. I love VB. Before I got sick, I was able to find VB fabric in one of our Fabric Shops. I bought several yards of it and made me a hugh tote bag of the navy blue with the paisley on it. I quilted the fabric myself and put all the pockets in it. I still have the bag and now carry stamping items in it when I go to my friends house to stamp. It took me about 12 hours to make the bag. I did make a cosmetic bag, check book cover, and eyeglass holder. I haven't made any since. glinda

midnitecreations
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I've got no idea what a VB purse it, but I loved your story and I love handbags. So where is this store. I might have to make a road trip your way to get one.

stampinmom3
06-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I have one that my sil gave me and I love it. She gives me her hand me down purses and I am SOO okay with that.

GrammaStamper
06-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Here's the website:

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Home.aspx?r=0&

Man, those handbags are gorgeous! Thanks for informing us.

tesschap
06-28-2007, 06:20 PM
What a funny story! I love VB but only have a very old wallet and matching cosmetic bag that I received as a gift in the early VB days. I buy quite a bit of her products but usually as a gift for Drew's gf. Sounds like you got some very nice pieces for yourself and your daughter.

My3Ds
06-28-2007, 07:12 PM
It's funny - VB has been around a long time. I've known about the line for at least 20 yrs. At that time I always thought they were geared more toward older wealthier women. But now I must say, they are cute. Glad you and your dd are enjoying yours. :)

tojoco
06-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I love VB and have quite a few bags in different styles and patterns. My goddaughter sent me the large tote in the blue java pattern for my birthday last year and I have used it ever since. I also have eyeglass cases, wallets ad cosmetic bags. Yep, I love um!

MyRnAbS
06-28-2007, 07:58 PM
What an awesome story! I loved reading it! BTW, I just got a purse as well, but it's a far cry from those VB bags. Mine is a zipper bag. WEIRD I know! My sister bought one in boston, MA, so I went online and found a store. When I got it I was like WTH? It came in a tiny bundle, and I had to zip that sucker up. How weird!! Let me link you gals so you can see what I'm talking about. www.zipperbagz.com (http://www.zipperbagz.com) Anyhoo, I'm going to use it until I can find me a nice VB down here :shocked:

directmailscrapper
06-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Mryna -- those bags are a riot! What a great gift idea for Emily's friends -- they've never seen anything like that, I'm sure -- and how cute! Does yours work? (as a bag, I mean)

MyRnAbS
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Of course it works!! I love it! I have a matching cosmetics bag, and a coin purse. I hear they are coming out with new colors. They are too cute! Just too weird for me, but I'm still using it! So is my sister, and she's right behind me (years wise). I'm more of a dooney gal, and this is my first time walking out of the light if you KWIM. My sister's purse is black, and mine is the mint with yellow (summery). Plus at that price who cares? NOT ME!!!

prdesigns
06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Okay...never heard of these... I'm so outta the loop.... styles and fashions.... oh well, I'm saving a lot of money not knowing nothin!!