PDA

View Full Version : Need help to get over fear of snakes!

ctinyjoy
06-30-2007, 03:52 PM
We have had a rather large black snake living in our backyard for a few months now. I despise it and have almost stepped on it a few times now taking our dog outside. Today DH is in the back corner fixing our fence, there are ferns growing in front and he steps into a NEST of them. Apparently he was out there yelling but I didn't hear him inside. His heart is still beating rapidly. He tells me what happened and by the look on my face, he knows I will not go in the backyard again until they are all gone. So now he tries to make it seem like there were only 2 tiny ones....but I don't believe him. I hate snakes worse than spiders. Any words of advice? He tells me that snakes will feel us coming and leave....umm they didn't hear him and he is a rather big man so that won't work with me.

emmcee
06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh Lord, CHeri, I can't help you except to call a snake exterminator. A nest of them, how horrible. Everytime during the summer, spring, fall, whenever I go outside I'm always looking down. And I hate to go in the shed as I'm always afraid a snake will be hanging from the rafters. Our neighbor killed a snake the other evening. He said he came from my yard, but I don't think all the snakes can come from my yard :nah:

The only cute snake I've ever seen is the snake in the Zoofari set in the Su catty and TAC has a cute snake. But that's it!!!:nod:

tojoco
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Um, I don't think there are any snakes that are cute -- not even in the SU or TAC catties. I hate snakes, all snakes. I have no good advise for you on how to deal with snakes other than to move.

Now I'm scared that my hotel is way too close to you with snakes in your yard. Yuck! LOL

Vintagegal
06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
OK.......coming from a gal who grew up with snakes roaming rampantly in her backyard....here's my advice:

Call someone to come and get them and have them taken away.

Now, there may be two. One of them could be a female and the other a male. Then, you'll have a bunch of "Jr's" hatching when mom and dad feel like starting a family. Not good. While snakes have their place in the Animal Kingdom, your backyard should not be the next venue for a National Geographic Special on "Snakes Gone Wild."

Cheri, I used to like snakes (or tolerate them) as a kid. Like I said, I grew up in jungle country, and have learned to accept them (because we lived in a jungle environment). But, I'm guessing that you don't remotely live near their natural territory and these snakes just happened to take a great liking to your backyard. Still, not a good scenario of co-habitation (for the snakes and for your family).

Call an exterminator and have them removed as soon as possible.

ctinyjoy
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Ha Ha your hotel is at least 8 miles away from my house :) I live near the river and they have been recently dredging (sp) it and I wonder if that is making them come our way. You will be by the ocean..and to my knowledge snakes don't go near it. You are safe.

tojoco
06-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Phew! Thanks Cheri. Now I can sleep at night for the next week. LOL