PDA

View Full Version : Super Deals found while on vacation

Victorianrose
06-30-2007, 09:25 PM
found at the beach! :nod: I and found some great card making/altering items: Ceramic doll heads w/legs and hands, Feathered angel wings, metalic angel wings and lace shaped angel wings. Also went to a Scrapbook store and bought some Autumn leaves paper, basic gray paper pads, stamps and cardstock . Great deals and steals.
Also a a flea market I found baggies of cancelled stamps from all over the world. Anyone know if there is any value to cancelled stamps, some are from the first moon landing, Poland, Denmark, Spain, Columbia, Bahamas everywhere?!:worried:
I found a 4 X 6 photo album filled w/vintage photos and postcards. Some postmarked 1908-1912. In excellent condition. Does anyone know what their value would be? :wacko:
I guess I gotta searching the net.
I really want to use some of the vintage items for cards.
Oh, yeah they had cricut tags, bags and more cartridges on sale at wally world for $25.00. But I don't own one, so I didn't buy any.
Thanks for reading!
Debbie

RDRD4
06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
You got some great deals...Have fun playing

mydogstinks2
07-01-2007, 06:25 AM
One of the antique stores near us sells baggies of cancelled stamps too. I have though about buying some for on cards and stuff.

inkinupstamps
07-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Postage stamp collecting, known as being a Philatelist, has been a hobby that has been around as long as postage stamps have been in existance (150 years or so?) I had a stamp collection as a little girl and yes, some of the stamps can be worth a great deal of $$. Most of the bags of cancelled stamps you find at craft and antique stores probably don't have a great deal of value but you might get lucky and find one. It is a wonderful hobby to introduce children to to learn world geography and the patience to identify and preserve.

Thanks for the memories! :) I collected stamps and my children had their albums as well. It is a lot of fun!

Victorianrose
07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the reply about the stamps, I figured they are not very valuable or the man would not have been selling them. But it is great fun to look at them and discover the many aspects of them. I'll look up some info about "philatelist".
Does anyone know about the Postcards that are almost 100 years old?

inkinupstamps
07-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Ohhhhh...hang on to the postcards. I have about 50 old postcards from the turn of the century. There are collectors of postcards as well. I just find them very fun and interesting and wouldn't call mine an "official" collection but I won't part with them either! :)

Jennifer

hbpuppy
07-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Sounds like you found some fun goodies on your shopping adventures. If you haven't already, you should see the movie Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. It is a suspensefull mystery. I can't tell you why I'm recommending it without giving it away but there is a scene about one of your finds.

Victorianrose
07-01-2007, 11:22 AM
awww, now you got my curosity going!

JBgreendawn
07-01-2007, 01:12 PM
that is a cool movie! :)
I have some old post cards from that era, but mine are ones that i inherited (so they are family photos or ones family purchased on trips) so i have them still, but when i first received them DH thought they could have a "value" beyond sentimental but, i have never priced them.
Oh yeah, i have postage stamp albums too... ( I have the one my dad started as a kid the one i started as a kid and dh's kid books)
I have loose baggies of old ones too, but i have been too chicken to actually use them. I mostly use modern canceled postage on atc's. but there is a gal in Germany who uses them all the time and they look pretty cool that way.

Sounds like you have a super fun trip!