PDA

View Full Version : potato salad, HELP!!

cindi
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
df just informed me I've been asked to bring poato salad on the fourth :shocked:
potato salad is not my specialty! Pasta salad I'm great at, I have several that I love.
ok ladies who's got good poato salad recipes??
does anyone have one with pickles in it>>> df loves pickles
please help if you can!
:confused:

Paula Carden
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I use the sweet pickle relish, potatoes, eggs, mustard and mayo along with celery and onions- also salt, pepper, and celery seed. No recipe in amounts just mix it all in-some folks put pickle (dill) relish in it but my family always likes the sweet.
Hope this helps as it is one of our favorites.
Paula

iloveflipflops
07-01-2007, 08:56 PM
My potato salad is very simple but it does not have pickles in it. I am not sure any potato salad has pickles in it, does it? LOL

here is my super easy recipe.

Red potatoes
Hard boiled eggs
Celery, chopped
Miracle Whip
Salt & pepper

Boil potatoes, cool. Peel potatoes after they are cooled off (this is rather messy, i just use my hands). Mix all ingredients together.

Do you know how many people you are serving? I usually make for a group of 7 adults and 4 kids and I use this:

3 lbs red potatoes
3 celery sticks
3 eggs chopped
Miracle Whip
Salt & pepper to tase

Scrap This!
07-01-2007, 09:04 PM
one tip that I have heard is to sprinkle your potatoes with sugar after they have been boiled and the water drained off of them.

cindi
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
plus 3 kids & 3 teenagers...Geez someone just shoot me!!!!:nah:
I m ust have been a bad girl!
:wub:

ccstampin12
07-01-2007, 09:08 PM
My Mom always made it this way:
Boil peeled and cut up potatoes.
Drain when cooked, and leave on the burner for a bit to continue to evaporate remaining water.
While still warm, add Hellman's Mayo. (This is the "key!")
Let cool a bit.
Add chopped celery, red onion, a bit of hard boiled eggs, green pepper (if desired), salt and pepper.
Refrigerate
Serve and enjoy when chilled thoroughly.
Joanie

Patty
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Mine is pretty much like Sherry's, but no eggs. As soon as I drain the spuds, I put in some cider vinegar. I mix it when it's hot--Hellman's--and I add a little pickle juice. My family loves it. (no onions, either). I hope you're making at least 10 pounds--wish I was closer, I'd help you. :) patty

cindi
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Mine is pretty much like Sherry's, but no eggs. As soon as I drain the spuds, I put in some cider vinegar. I mix it when it's hot--Hellman's--and I add a little pickle juice. My family loves it. (no onions, either). I hope you're making at least 10 pounds--wish I was closer, I'd help you. :) patty

Patty your a sweetie!!!
Geez, you'd think I never cook, but I do...just not this
:)

Patty
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
one more thing--just my opinion, but I think Maine potatoes are more moist than Idaho spuds, so I use Maine for mashed and salad, and Idaho for baked. Anyone else have an opinion?

ctinyjoy
07-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Cindi....go here (http://www.bestfoods.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=6609&version=1) they have a great recipe that i always use and get compliments on. You may need to double the recipe for the amount of people you have. good luck

emmcee
07-01-2007, 09:52 PM
This is mine:

Potatoes, eggs, cucumber, onion, radishes, either Miracle Whip or use the Cole Slaw dressing that is on the same aisle as the mayo. Not much cuke and just 1 or 2 radishes. SOmetimes I chop a little green pepper if I have it, but the salad dressing is the key. This is the way Mom makes hers. Don't mash your potatoes, just keep them kind of chunky. THis is a Maine recipe, Cindi!

I love Maine potatoes for everything. As a former Mainiac or is it a Maineard now? A russet potato for baking. Don't like those Yukon gold potatoes.

Here in NC our potatoes are now coming in, and fresh new potatoes are so good whether Maine, Idaho, or NC!

Sorry, haven't talked to too many people today. :no2:

cindi
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
This is mine:

Potatoes, eggs, cucumber, onion, radishes, either Miracle Whip or use the Cole Slaw dressing that is on the same aisle as the mayo. Not much cuke and just 1 or 2 radishes. SOmetimes I chop a little green pepper if I have it, but the salad dressing is the key. This is the way Mom makes hers. Don't mash your potatoes, just keep them kind of chunky. THis is a Maine recipe, Cindi!

I love Maine potatoes for everything. As a former Mainiac or is it a Maineard now? A russet potato for baking. Don't like those Yukon gold potatoes.

Here in NC our potatoes are now coming in, and fresh new potatoes are so good whether Maine, Idaho, or NC!

Sorry, haven't talked to too many people today. :no2:

you cracked me up!!
and we are still Maniacs!! lol, that will never change

dreis1
07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
I have the best recipe ever. I slip down to the grocery store where they have Amish mustard salad and buy about 3 lbs. I take my own container and transfer it over into it. You slip in the back and and put it on the table, wiping forehead and start talking about how hard you slaved away making that potato salad. Works every time. Glinda

cindi
07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I have the best recipe ever. I slip down to the grocery store where they have Amish mustard salad and buy about 3 lbs. I take my own container and transfer it over into it. You slip in the back and and put it on the table, wiping forehead and start talking about how hard you slaved away making that potato salad. Works every time. Glinda

hey, your way smarter than me!!!

Christie
07-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Ok I'm from the south and we put mustard in our potato salad. I can't stand mayo only, yuck! LOL!
peeled cooked potatoes
boiled eggs
mayo and mustard-more mustard then mayo
green onion
salt and pepper
bell pepper-finely diced(optional)
1 jar dill pickle relish

dreis1
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I am from Arkansas, and it ain't potato salad if it don't have mustard. Glinda

Christie
07-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I am from Arkansas, and it ain't potato salad if it don't have mustard. Glinda

Amen!!! LOL!!:laugh:

scrappinnuts
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Cindi.. this is one recipe that everyone I make it for fraves about;

Red potatoes cut up before cooking ..
celery
purple onion
olives
green onion
bacon, cooked, and crumbled
mayo
mix all together
I use a spice called Salad supreme.. if you have that in your area.. it is wonderful..mix all to taste... everyone says it's the best.. I like it a lot.
hope this helps. Terry

Firecracker
07-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi Cindi,

My mom has a great recipe. It has dill pickles and a little pickle juice. It also has Miracle whip, mustard, yellow onions, eggs and of course, Idaho potatoes. I didn't know there was Maine potatoes! Hugs, Heather

Erin K
07-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Drive to Publix, Purchase potato Salad

Drive home, transfer salad into a dish you own

Drive to event, enjoy salad and compliments.

Sherry
07-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Since everyone is sharing recipes, I'll add my grandma's. We grew up on this stuff as it was present at EVERY function/get together.

Peel and cube your potatoes
Boil until done
Drain and put pot back on burner (turned off of course) so that some of the left over liquid evaporates.

After potatoes are COMPLETELY cooled, add chopped boiled egg, onion powder, salt, pepper, and here is the 'family' ingredient - a small can of baby peas! Mix it all together with heaps of miracle whip. Top with a sprinkle of paprika. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before your function so that flavors can blend.

Lisa
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM
My recipe is a bit different, my mom always used fresh dill and so do I:
Peel and cube your potatoes
Boil until done
Drain and put pot back on burner (turned off of course) so that some of the left over liquid evaporates.
After potatoes are COMPLETELY cooled, add chopped boiled egg( I use several eggs)
thinly sliced green onions, or diced sweet onion (fine) or both
finely diced dill pickels, and a splash of pickle juice
optional: crisp bacon, radishes
mix miracle whip and a tad of white vinegar and sugar and LOTS of freshly chopped DILL. Mix well with potatoes etc.
I top with sliced hard boiled eggs and paprika
this tastes great warm or cold!

stampcrazyjulie
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Mine is similar to Sherri's.....

Red Potatoes....but I DO NOT peel the skin off....
Bolied Eggs
Kraft Mayo
Mustard
Radishes
Salt & Pepper
Sometimes paprika....not always

BUT now I am going to have to try the dill & pickle since I make it, I always put what I like into it.... I NEVER put onions, since I hate them... ! :)