PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like shingles to you?

loobylou
07-09-2007, 08:48 AM
My son has just showed me this rash on his back that he has had for a couple of days. He says it's very itchy, but not painful.
he has had shingles twice before in the same spot, but never as big and angry looking as this. What do you think?
Sarah

Just got back from Dr- yes it is shingles, got sme tablets and cream, now he is going to rest and take it easy for the day. None of his friends Mum's will let them come play incase they catch CHICKEN POX
Sarah

emmcee
07-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I didn't realize children could have shingles, just thought that was for older folks that had had chicken pox. Usually it's very painful and around the mid-section.

I can't help you, LoobyLou. But it sure does look very itchy to me. Poor guy.

loobylou
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I had Chicken Pox when i was pregnant with him. Dr said that was his first exposure, then he had Shingles first at 6 months old. and again at 4.
nothing the Dr can do but treat itch/pain. He has never actually had chicken pox that i have seen

scrappinnuts
07-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Poor little guy..My DD got them at 2 days old.. in the hospital..then again at 5...and shingles at 13..it is very painful...It does look like shingles .... I will pray for a very speedy case. Good luck.

logcabincreations
07-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Could be shingles and it also looks like poinson ivy. Does it hurt? Shingles are very painful. In any event, have him checked by a doctor. Also, shingles can occur anywhere on the body.

ellie
07-09-2007, 09:57 AM
You can get them just about anywhere. I know someone who had them in her eye...I would get it checked out.

stampcrazyjulie
07-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I had shingles several years ago after hitting the water really hard while water skiing they flared up. They looked alot like what your DS has in the pic, but mine were extremely painful....I thought I had broken my ribs.....

I too thought that shingles was "an old person's disease", but it's not & it can happen to anyone.

I would say to get him to the Doc today if possible just in case.

workin4stamps
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
are you sure it's not Poison Ivy or something? I just wondered because I get poison ivy at least once every summer, and it usually looks something like this......

Traci

loobylou
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
we don't have poison ivy in Australia- Lucky us. I just checked on ds and he is feeling fine. Still in bed so I will look at his rash in a little while. We are on school holidays so all sleeping in, except me!
Sarah

loobylou
07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
edit in original post

pesc
07-10-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm so sorry to ear that. I hope your son will feel better soon.

teabear
07-10-2007, 12:48 AM
oh Sarah, I'm so glad you took him in. He'll be feeling better in no time. Poor guy...tell him Mabel is sending him some puppy kisses.