PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Erin K
07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh no..
I just realized Stephen has a new word

"Why?" over and over and over. Everything I tell him, "why?" "Don't put your sandwich in the diaper pail." "Why?" "Don't kick your brother" "Why?"

I've said, "Because I said so" about 50 times today.

I'm turning into my mother:spinny:

inkinupstamps
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Erin, I'm sorry but I laughed outloud when I read your post. It is fun to read young mothers going through the same trials and tribulations and pure frustrations that some of us older mothers did already. Why? Because I said so! LOL LOL

Jennifer :)

Erin K
07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
What do I say when the reason really is because I said so...

Why isn't it good enough anymore that he just do what I say.

iloveflipflops
07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
HA HA I am REALLY laughing out loud!!!

Erin K
07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Stephen please don't color on the grocery list

WHY?

inkinupstamps
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Because he truly doesn't understand why putting his sandwich in the diaper pail isn't a good idea. And coloring on the list seemed like a good idea to him at the time. And hitting his brother....well that one is an age old question yet to be explained "why"! :)

I'm still laughing!

Jennifer :)

Erin K
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
But I want him to do what I say JUST BECAUSE I said so ya know?

inkinupstamps
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I know you do but he has the God given gift of reason (or he's trying to develop that gift) and he wants to know "why?!" Perhaps he is a child genius and knows better?

LOL. Just stick with it Erin. You are such a great momma!

:)

Jennifer

teabear
07-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh my do I remember those days. When you explain, because the sandwich will be ruined when it mixes in with poopy diapers. then he will say why? and then you say because diapers have germs. and he will say why? and you say because poop gets bacteria. and he will say why.

And that my dear is why I was only brave enough to have one child. I ran out of reasons why and I needed a nap! Hang in there Erin. His little brain is working the way it's supposed to.

Caboverde1
07-11-2007, 12:55 PM
How cute...we are thankfully past the incessant "why" stage...Jourdans new thing is "help me"...Everything is "help me"...Jourdan I need you to sit but and be quiet..."help me". Jourdan if you dont stop im gonna spank, spank..."help me". Could you imagine being on an airplane and everything you say to your child he wimpers "help me"...lets just say I got some strange looks! Its cool though, cuz he is actually asking now if he can go over his friends house and play..."Mommy I go James house...play?!" Hes making sentences...when hes not saying "help me"
Tonii

mydogstinks2
07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
LOL... that is just to funny!

ChristyR
07-11-2007, 02:15 PM
i hear ya honey...i soo remember that stage. cole will be in it before i know it. he says huh and it is so funny the other day Davie was telling him something and he kept saying HUH and davie had to repeat himself like 4 times and i just laughed. it was so cute and too funny :)

they WHY word does get annoying...hang in there this too shall passs :)

ellie
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Because God made you the mommy that's why! I know I shouldn't be laughing but it is so cute...when you are not the one having to deal with it.

dreis1
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
LOL also. My youngest DGS asked a gazillion questions a day. He has to know everthing that is going on. Who is taking him to school, whos picking him up and on the list goes. He just turned 4 in April. I always tell him that he is my boy. The other day he looks up at me and said, "granny the waitress at Applebees said I had to be her boyfriend". I said well are you, and he says, but she said I had to be. He thinks I am going to get him and tickle him when he tells me things like that. If he says he is someone elses boy, then I usually tickle his tummy. Kids. They grow up too fast. Enjoy them lots Erin, they will be grown before you know it. My two DDs are 37 and 33. Yikes. It was only yesterday. Glinda

threefriends91
07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Dear Erin boy l don't miss those days, you might want to ask him why are you doing that LOL all mothers go through this welcome to mother hood

loobylou
07-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Erin, he is learning the power of why- it's a word that keeps you talking to him- it's a way of saying "I love the attention you give me MUM, tell me more" I just loved that stage- He will learn so much about the world and by you giving him reasonable answers he will learn to make his own smart choices- like next time he thinks about dunking his food in the diaper pail, he may choose not to cos he knows it has germs.... but then again, he may think "what the hey" and do it anyway
Hahaha
Fun times
Sarah

maxiesmom
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
DH still does it!! That is just his thing, he seems to attach it to most things you ask him. He will answer your question and then seemingly automatically add 'why' to the end of it. In the beginning I was always explaining myself until I realized that I didn't even think he realized he was doing it. so I started ignoring it, until one day when he said why and I was ignoring it and he then started repeating why. I finally said 'well you always just say why, I didn't know this time you actually needed further information!' LOL!

Erin K
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
The thing is he's sooo cute about it. So far one time explaniation is working, not the endless why's so I'm ok.

JBgreendawn
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
that is too funny!
It brings back a lot of happy mom thoughts for me when you share this stuff...
(mine is an almost snotty pre-teeny bopper now)
and that is really not fun, has quite an attitude some days (depending on which "friends" he has just spent time with)

pesc
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Erin, have you tried to ask him "why do you think you should not put your sandwich in the... " For my little one who was saying... why why why (in fact pourquoi, pourquoi, pourquoi because we speak French) it did help sometime and was a little bit different of my "parceque" or your "because I said so"!!! You can also get some fun answers to that!
Funny different language but same stages!!! It will past... you will soon have "I can do it myself" but maybe that is not reinsuring you!!!

MyRnAbS
07-12-2007, 02:22 AM
hahahaha!! It sure does bring back some lovely memories!! Erin it drives you crazy now, but these are the moments that you will cherish when your ds is older. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, I had already forgotten that stage in both of my dd's lives!!