PDA

View Full Version : Embossing question...

lost luggage
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I was embossing last night and ran into a problem...

Even though I saw the powder on all the areas of the image, after I heated it up, it did not leave a raised line...it's absorbed into the paper and ljust left a line that looked like it was drawn with a marker-flat.

Did I overheat?

MidwestStamper
11-15-2006, 02:36 PM
This happens to me sometimes. Usually it's one of two things:

--embossing ink wasn't on there thick enough to grab enough embossing powder
--I heated it too long, and the embossing powder just melted flat

Any other suggestions? I'm curious too!

Erin K
11-15-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure, but it happens to me too! My detail powders are the worst for it, of course though because they are so fine they melt away.

I'm sure someone super clever is about to come along and clear it all up! Great question Julie.

5treasures
11-15-2006, 03:38 PM
The heat and stick powder when I want it to be raised higher. That way it gives it a little extra grab to it.

Deb P

lost luggage
11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
The heat and stick powder when I want it to be raised higher. That way it gives it a little extra grab to it.

Deb P

There is a seperate problem with heat and stick...I versamark the image, sprinkled the heat and stick, then shake off the excess....heat it up and then put on what I want to stick. Never fails...the glitter (for example) will stick in the areas where it was not intended to stick...like where the excess collected before I brushed it off... does this happen to you guys?

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Have you tried covering a clipboard with foil? It helps distribute the heat more evenly and allows you to clip your work down while heating it up. I got this idea from Jan (Far North) and it works great.

Your image will dry "flat" if you overheat. Are you moving the heating tool over the image, opposed to focusing on one area at a time?

Do you use an embossing buddy or static cling sheet? You can rub it across your cardstock before stamping / embossing / adding glitter. This will help reduce the static on the card and keep the EP, heat & stick, or glitter on the areas you intended for it to be. I still have glitter on other parts of the card, but it's not adhered to the card... I just need to flick the back of the card to try to release the excess glitter after reheating.

:) jane

jdpisces
11-15-2006, 04:26 PM
I have a little tool used to correct the "sticking in the places you don't want it to" problem. I can't remember the name of it right now but it's basically a little sack that you brush across your paper before stamping that eliminates the static (which causes it to stick in other places). Most stamping stores carry it.

Maybe try a dryer sheet?

Julie

so-muchlove
11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
heating the paper from underneath? I haven't run across this problem before, but someone told me to heat from underneath so that it doesn't get too hot. HTH!!

lost luggage
11-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the tips, y'all! I'll try tonight during my crafting time ;)