PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my cupcakes??

Erin K
07-20-2007, 03:40 PM
OK, today is Brian's birthday.

I'm making cupcakes. They are dark chocolate with a cheese cake layer.

First of all the chocolate was supposed to come up and cover most of the cheesecake, I don't really care about that as I made dark chocolate icing and will put that on.

But why are they dented in the middle? Does the cheesecake just not stay risen? They had cute rounded tops when I took them out. :(

They will ice fine though right? Just sorta fill in the dents and go from there?

I kinda wanna eat this naked cupcake now.

Erin K
07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
ps, do I have to wait for room temp. to frost them or is warm ok? I wanna play with my awesome frosting

workin4stamps
07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I would not frost them while they are warm. Wait until they are totally cool.

It could be dented in the middle because maybe they needed to cook longer?

They look totally yummy. I could totally eat this one up without ANYTHING else on it!!

Traci

pesc
07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I completely agree with working4stamps.
I think they may need to cook longer. If you are afraid of having them burn on the bottom, you could raised your metal rack in the oven so they will be a little bit more protected. I would be checking some of the cupcake with a wooden tootpick to be sure they are cooked enough. If the tootpick come out clean they are ready to take off the oven. But maybe you knew that allready!
If you went the icing to melt in your cake you can put it when it's warm. If not, you are better to wait until they are cold.

Hope it's helping! I know it may be too late to put them back in the oven but they should be yummy anyway for this time!

Erin K
07-20-2007, 04:18 PM
the toothpick did come out clean... :(

Whatever, I iced them and smashed them into a bowl of sprinkles. they are not cute. I'm taking a cake decorating class and I hope it helps my cupcake decorating too because they look a mess. they look yummy though.

iloveflipflops
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Wait till it cools to frost it. Then send it my way and I will tell you how it is :)

Erin K
07-20-2007, 04:22 PM
want to see the mess I made of them frosting them?

It's BAD, I had this cute idea to ice them normal and flat then use a funny tip to put a pom pom looking thing on each one, that looked sorta stupid so I decided sprinkles would help. Also stupid, perhaps MORE stupid. So I took each one and smashed them into the bowl of sprinkles, which attached sprinkes to the pom pom, at the same time flattening it down...

wanna see? Don't you dare laugh

iloveflipflops
07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Um -- where is it? I am waiting. I need a good laugh!

Erin K
07-20-2007, 04:52 PM
here you go!

So I felt I needed to try one, you know, so as not to serve Brian yucky birthday cupcakes...

The icing is a bit sweet for me. So I licked that off and just ate the cake, It was AWESOME. I wouldnt' say the cheesecake layer is just like cheesecake, it was far more cakier, but it was still really good and the chocolate was really dark and not super sweet at all. :)

iloveflipflops
07-20-2007, 04:57 PM
That sure looks yummy!! It doesn't look funny at all.

Looks SCRUMPIOUS!

buggainok
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM
That looks delish! And I know kids are all about the sprinkles!

pesc
07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
you are hard on yourself! I think they look perfect and you will have sprinkles and the kids eyes too! They seem really delicious!

Erin K
07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
they are for BRIAN. Are DH's all about sprinkles too??

iloveflipflops
07-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Absolutely. Heck, I love sprinkles myself :)

workin4stamps
07-20-2007, 05:38 PM
yeah....RAH RAH for sprinkles!!!!

The look delicious!!

Traci

inkinupstamps
07-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Erin, these look tasty! YES INDEED! If Brian doesn't want all of them, then feel free to send me a couple, ok? :)

When I make these cupcakes I never frost them because the cream cheese center is sweet and tasty enough. Sometimes I sprinkle them with powdered sugar or sprinkles like you've done but I don't think these need to be frosted.

JMO

pesc
07-20-2007, 06:15 PM
lol, sorry! I'm sure they are... and the best part with husband is that they can appreciate all the effort you put on it!!

JBgreendawn
07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
my husband actually likes cup cakes better then cake (think its the snatch it and run thing)
they don't look funny...

Did you eat one yet? are they as yummy as the read??

Caboverde1
07-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey E...I think we have the same stove...is that a ceramic flat top...mine is!

TOnii

Sherry
07-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Erin :)

There are many reasons which could cause your cupcakes to sink in the middle. For instance, if the oven door is opened for a peek, if the mixture is over beaten, if the oven is not warm enough or if not enough raising agent (baking powder or bicarbonate of soda) is added.

I think the cupcake craze is spreading. I have been baking cupcakes all week long as the inlaws are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in less than a month and I am making a cupcake tree instead of a traditional cake. I have been testing recipes and icings and, to tell you the truth, ICK, I'm sick of cupcakes! I have no less than 90 cupcakes in my house right now!
I think the crows might be eating cupcakes for breakfast tomorrow!

mahodgman
07-20-2007, 07:34 PM

TOnii

LOL, I was just about to post the same thing. Mine is a Kenmore. How about yours?

Caboverde1
07-20-2007, 07:51 PM
LOL...no...mines is Frigidaire...

Christie
07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
hey they look pretty good! I want one!

Erin K
07-20-2007, 08:06 PM

TOnii

OUrs is hotpoint. :)

But of course we have similar, we are TWINS!

ChristyR
07-20-2007, 10:16 PM
it sure looks yummy to me...what did brian and the kids think of them...well if your kids are like mine then i know they loved them ;)

shuggy
07-20-2007, 11:11 PM
where's suzi? she's the cake baker!

Erin K
07-21-2007, 01:01 AM
they were awesome. The cheesecake did end up being cheese cake, I was afriad it would just turn into cake. I'm not so much with the frosting so I scraped it off mine. YUMMY

MyRnAbS
07-21-2007, 03:01 AM
mmmmmmmmm, Erin it doesn't matter if they are a little dented, who cares?? NOT me! THey looks scrumpscious(sp) I want some!!!

suzi_f
07-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Suzi the cake baker is on vacation and not baking in a profession capacity until Aug 20th. But she did make a cake AND rice krispie treats for her family yesterday. The cake still hasn't been iced.

I have found that dents usually come from undercooking. I usually open the oven & turn the cakes at least twice while baking. Drives my boss crazy 'cause she says it'll hurt the cake (my mom said the same thing while I was growing up) but I think being burned on one side & raw on the other hurts the cake more than whatever I might be doing by opening the oven.

Ok, now I'm hungry for cake! Better go ice and cut the one upstairs (of course, I'll just scrape the icing right off mine. I really don't like icing. If I would have made cupcakes, I could have left some uniced for ME!)