PDA

View Full Version : A long sad bedtime story

Deborah
07-24-2007, 09:25 PM
...with an eventually satisfactory ending...yet another one of Deborah's adventures, another chuckle at my expense.

If you are a woman "of a certain age," you will understand this.

You YOUNG'UNS, just WAIT, you too will understand it all in good time. :nod:

As a prelude, I am not ALWAYS a raving lunatic.

Most of the time I'm a fairly rational human being, and have enjoyed a successful career and life.

However, HEAT and HUMIDITY can turn me into this...scary...out-of-control...wicked...difficult-to-be-near...woman.

Sigh.

We have two floor model air conditioners to keep out eensie weensie condo cool. I LOVE them. They pump out this delightful COLD air and take the humidity out as well, important when you live so close to the ocean.

One A/C conked out in June, so we sent it out, to Sears, for repair, five weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, when I came home from visiting my daughter and the grand-boys, I called to arrange to have it delivered.

That was call number one of a LONG and sad saga.

'Customer Service,' calls me back the next day to say

"Oh Ms March, we have it on record that your A/C repair was completed June 25th."

"That's grand," sez I, "May I please have it back then?"

"Okay," sez they "We'll get it scheduled for delivery."

Two days later, no delivery, so I call back.

"Customer Service" sez "Oh, we investigated and our records show that your A/C was delivered to you June 28th, and we have your signature on the delivery chit."

"Hmmm," sez me, "Then I wonder why I don't HAVE it, and why nobody called me BACK!?"

"Hmmm," sez they, "I guess we'll have to investigate further."

Nothing more from them for three days.

I call THEM. "Oh," sez 'Customer Service,' are you sure you didn't get it? (HELLLLOOOO????) Could one of your neighbours have signed for it for you?"

"Ummm, nope," sez I, "If it had been delivered, I'm pretty sure I'd remember. And no, no neighbour would have signed MY NAME on your delivery slip. Besides which, on the day you say you delivered for it, and you say I signed for it, I was actually in Quebec."

"Hmmm," sez 'Customer Service' "You're positive?"

"Ummm," sez I, "YES I'm SURE I was in Quebec, would be delighted to bring in my return airline ticket receipts if you need them."

"We'll investigate further." sez 'Customer Service'.

Uh huh.

Now it is currently HOT and HUMID and STICKY in Nova Scotia. Definitely not my favourite weather.

(Makes me seriously consider relocating to ALASKA, Jan!)

In the interim, from that first set of calls, up to today, I logged TWENTY-TWO telephone calls with them, and STILL no A/C.

FINALLY, they advise me that they'll replace my A/C ("Thank you very much," sez I in my mind, "since YOU lost it in the first place."), but it won't be in till Monday, a week from now.

Okay, so this is when I LOSE it.

Totally

Completely

Without abandon.

I thank Ms sez 'Customer Service,' (who was actually as helpful as she COULD have been, and I DID tell her that, this mess isn't not HER fault) and ask for the number for the retail store manager.

I call.

He's gone home for the day.

I ask for the number for the assistant retail store manager.

I get it. I call. It's a nice, calming lady named Tina.

"Hi Tina," sez I. I'm jus wondering what you know about the ongoing saga of my A/C."

"Aaahhh," sez she, "We're so sorry for your trouble, we just approved a replacement yesterday, it will be in this Monday."

"Hmmm," sez I, "Well, that's why I'm calling. I will try my best to be as polite as I can possibly be here, BUT, Sears has had my A/C for five weeks now, through the heat of the summer, and it is just not acceptable that we have to wait yet another full week before you deliver a replacement."

"Hmmm," sez she, "I'm not sure what else I can do about this. I think they ordered one in because we're out of stock here in Halifax."

Interjection in my mind, but not spoken aloud: "NO S&%$@# lady, THAT's because it's the middle of SUMMER and it's so stinkin' HOT and HUMID!!"

"Hmmm, " sez I, VERY quietly, VERY calmly, "My mother-in-law and I were just at Sears an hour ago to purchase an appliance for her, and I happened to see a model identical to the one Sears LOST, and rather than wait yet ANOTHER week, I would like to have THAT one, even if we need to come pick it up ourselves."

"Hmmm," sez she, "I'll see what I can do for you, and will call you back."

"WHEN?" sez I...keep in mind now that this was call number TWENTY TWO.

I can just FEEL myself losing control...oh my...I can feel my blood pressure sky-rocketing, I can feel my pulse pounding in my ears...

"Tina, I've heard several different levels of 'Customer Service' say the same thing, then I don't hear from them unless I call THEM back, and madam, I'm sorry, but (voice raised several decibels here) I am one HOT middle aged FAT menopausal woman :arghh: who has been coping for most of the summer WITHOUT my A/C :cry2: and I have to tell you I AM AT THE ABSOLUTE END OF MY ROPE with all this. So PLEASE TELL me WHEN you might be calling me back."

"Ummmm," sez she, very quietly, "I promise you it will be shortly."

Ten minutes later she calls to say "Ms March, we'' have an A/C at downtown pick-up waiting for you within the hour."

HUH???

Isn't that the most amazing thing!? Five weeks of this, and it's sorted out in ten minutes.

Well BLESS her sweet HEART!! I'm even gonna send her a thank you card!

So my dear long-suffering husband (who KNOWS how his wife is affected by elevated heat and humidity and will do just about ANYTHING to resolve it, lol) comes home from work half an hour later, I recount the story to him, off he goes to pick it up, brings it home, installs it, and here I sit FINALLY in the air conditioned comfort I need.

And tomorrow night, to celebrate, I'm stampin' with friends with our new SU order.

And life, once again, is good.

And how was YOUR day??

workin4stamps
07-24-2007, 09:36 PM
This story is hilarious. Not hilarious that it happened to you....just hilarious the way you told it. God bless that girl at Sears!!! LOL

I DO have a question about your "floor model" units though. Are these the kind that don't have to be vented anywhere?? We have central air in our house, but unfortunately, it just doesn't do very well upstairs. Downstairs is downright COLD. Upstairs is HOT. My stamping room is upstairs. I have been considering getting one of these, but I need something that doesn't have to be vented out somewhere. Is that what you have?? And you say they work really great??

:-)
Traci

Deborah
07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh I absolutely ADORE mine!! They're not at all like those window A/C's, but there are two small hoses that need to be stuck in a window...wait a sec..I'll take a pic for you...

iloveflipflops
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I have to say I am laughing out loud!!!! Sorry but I am .... I can totally relate!

teabear
07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh my how I can relate to the hot part of the story and to the Sears part. Sears still owes me $200 gift card for a scratched washing machine that I purchased 3 years ago. After about 30 phone calls, I gave up. They are a nightmare! I could use that gift card to buy one of those A/C units that I so desperately need...hmmmmm

Deborah
07-24-2007, 10:08 PM
I DO have a question about your "floor model" units though. Are these the kind that don't have to be vented anywhere??

These little babies make magic, I tell you, pure MAGIC.

They DO need to have these two small hoses in a bracket in a window though.

This one is 10,000 BTU and it keeps the livingroom/diningroom very comfortably cool.

The bedroom unit is the same size, and whenever May comes, my husband will make the same comment "Summer's coming, time to get the wool bed socks out."

It keeps our bedroom positively COLD, which we both like anyway...perhaps I like it just a tad more than he does (lol)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/919129/AC.jpg

Deborah
07-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh my how I can relate to the hot part of the story and to the Sears part. Sears still owes me $200 gift card for a scratched washing machine that I purchased 3 years ago. After about 30 phone calls, I gave up. They are a nightmare! I could use that gift card to buy one of those A/C units that I so desperately need...hmmmmm

OMG Tami, do NOT give up!!

I am absolutely confident that the ONLY reason that A/C is in my livingroom today is because this poor woman was so desperate for me to stop calling that she'd have done ANYTHING to get that result.

GO girl!

HeatherJ
07-24-2007, 10:19 PM
ok, I am LOVIN; my central air!! Just got back from my mom's and it is hot as stink over there! So glad you got your replacement, Deborah, but my, what an ordeal.

emmcee
07-24-2007, 10:26 PM
You are so funny! I love your story. I felt your agony with dealing with Sears as I went through some of the same crap last fall with Lowe's & my floor covering. So glad you are in the cool again.

I'm telling you what, don't mess with fat menopausal women who are hot and pissed off. I'm a fat menopausal woman also, which I think I read some where that it's been proved that menopausal women kill their husbands usually during the summer months when its HOT< HUMID and Generally miserable!!! Bang, bang! :nod:

maxiesmom
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh you poor dear woman. I am so glad this finally worked out for you. We got cheated out of a 50.00 rebate from when we got our new monitor because it said we didn't send the appropriate proof of purchase. HUH? I followed the instructions to a T. So it's MY fault they put 2 bar codes on the box and I picked the worng one, the one that was the same size as the little box where it said staple UPC here. Grrr.

directmailscrapper
07-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Oh Deborah! You are too funny! And much more patient than I. I am never rude, but like you, I don't give up. And thank goodness for central air! N

mahodgman
07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Poor dear, I'm so happy you are now comfortable!

ellie
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Wow, you must be exhausted! I am so glad that it all got straightened out. BTW, I didn't realize that Nova Scotia got so hot!

GrammaStamper
07-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Glad you are cool once again. I don't think the letters could have gotten any bigger had this situation not be resolved so quickly. Sherry would have had to do some re-programming to accommodate the ginormous letters that you would have required if you got any hotter! Too funny, Deborah.

1of2shoes
07-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Deborah, AGAIN you have me laughing out loud. I can soooo relate to this story.

Signed,
your fat menopausal stamping friend

ChristyR
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Too Funny Deborah sorry for so much trouble for you...in FL it is HOT HOT HOT and i myself can't stand to be HOT. Glad you are in the cool again and have fun stamping :)

Far North
07-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh Deborah, it indeed has been a summer of temps in the 70's here...relatively comfortable most of the time...but when you come to visit I will give you a remote control for your very own fan!
TFS!!...Jan

logcabincreations
07-25-2007, 12:07 AM
"wool bed socks"....in summer? chuckle chuckle. Deborah, your life adventures are priceless. Please write a book......I'd buy it. Anyone else want to join me?

Sherry
07-25-2007, 07:18 AM
You are one hilarious woman, Deborah!! What a great story. Glad to see that, if and when, your "raging lunatic" emerges, she gets things done!

MyRnAbS
07-25-2007, 07:19 AM
:biglaugh: Deborah,
You are extremely hilarious!!! I agree with you about Alaska, lately I've been thinking that exact same thing. I'd rather be cold that hot, kwim? On a lighter note, http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/a122.gif
for finally getting cool!!!

I swear to you deborah, you lead one very interesting and amazing life. I think you should write a book. Here's to your first copy! http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/a056.GIF

Christie
07-25-2007, 07:27 AM
OH Deborah I'm sorry for laughing! You are a strong women becuase I wouldn't of made through that many phone calls without blowing my top! I"m glad you finally got your ac back!!

moosemama
07-25-2007, 08:54 AM
I can understand your frustration-funny story (sorry it happened to you) and glad you have you AC fixed!!

Deborah
07-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Wow, you must be exhausted! I am so glad that it all got straightened out. BTW, I didn't realize that Nova Scotia got so hot!

Certainly not as hot as it must get in Charlotte North Carolina! (lol)

As an example, yesterday, the temperature was 87F (27C), which is comfortable enough, but with the humidex factored in, it was 95F (35C), and for this little province, that was hot-hot-HOT!!

What does humidex mean?

It's an index devised to describe how hot or humid weather feels to the average person. It combines the temperature and humidity into one number to reflect the perceived temperature. It takes into account these two important factors that affect summer comfort. It is therefore a better measure of how stifling the air feels than either temperature or humidity alone. A humidex of 95F with, for example, a temperature of 87F means that the sensation of heat when it is 87F and the air is humid is more or less the same as when it is 95F degrees and the air is dry.

Make sense?

We're a coastal city here, so the ocean plays a HUGE part in our weather.

This MORNING, it is delightfully FRIGID in our little condo, I plan to play inside all day long, and I am one happy gal!

toao
07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
You should seriously write novels about your adventures! That was so stinkin hilarious. I'm at work and had a customer here in the lobby and I couldn't help but bust out laughing at your writing. Great job telling that story. So glad it had a happy ending. Cute pic of your "sanity saver". LOL

Mary

shuggy
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
you crack me up!!!

mydogstinks2
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
OMG! I was laughing so hard!! It is horriable that this happened to you but the way you tell the whole story is just to much! I'm glad you got your AC replaced.

oh and the humidity I can relaye to! Our state is surrounded by water!! A few weeks ago it was 97 out with 90% humidity!! OMG I would have died with out our AC

JBgreendawn
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I am so happy for you that you have AC again, and totally laughing at your way with words...

you may have to gather these stories for your grandbabies to read when they are grown up...