PDA

View Full Version : How do you create your cards?

GrammaStamper
07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
For me, it's challenges! I finally figured out why, I think. When I was a working girl, long, long ago, I had a sort-of motto:

"I'm so naive I don't know that I can't do it, it just takes me longer."

I feel the same way about making my cards. I need the 'rules' to be set out for me and then I can come up with the rest. What about you? Are you just naturally creative with ideas flowing through your head on a regular basis, or do you like challenges, too?

Another thing while I'm baring my soul. I fee guilty about posting my cards when they have been created using challenges from other places. In order to get over this guilt, I'm going to post some cards right now that I've made inthe last couple of days.

prdesigns
07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Although most people who know me, think I'm very creative, I have come to the conclusion yes! I can draw, but also I am a very good 'copier'.... or good at "CASE-ing" cards. Since I've copied for sooooo long... I don't know if I could create something NEW or original or fresh. I am inspired by what I view and read, here.... in magazines.... on other blogs and websites.

PS Please come and enjoy my blog.... and compliment my copying.... there might be some original creating going on here and there.

hbpuppy
07-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Barb. You are such a sweety. I don't know how to explain what gets my creative juices flowing. I like challenges that I find on blogs or boards. Especially if they are sketches which have been really helpful lately. Other times it's a color that I am in the mood for. Sometimes I just want to do something "fun" or "pretty" or "different".

Post your stuff no matter where your inspiration comes from. We want to see.

toao
07-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I "case" a lot, but on the rare occassion I create my own originals. The flower card with the scallop border and ribbon in the gallery was from a sketch that I actually thought of just before bed one night. I actually ran over to the dresser and sketched it out before laying down. (otherwise that thought would have never been recovered) LOL

Mary

teabear
07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I love challenges, too. However, I can rarely follow a sketch challenge. It just isn't in me most of the time. I prefer color challenges, technique challenges, or challenges like...use 3 flowers and 2 stamped images.

Sometimes, I start with a challenge and end up who knows where with several new projects finished. I tend to work in spurts. I create alot when I'm at it, and then nothing for a few days.

Erin K
07-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I just do whatever I want, If I want to case I do but usually I just start putting stuff together. I really am only rotating a hanful of designs, but I don't care, it makes me happy.

You gotta just do what makes you happy and enjoy it. No worries!

MidwestStamper
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking about this lately too--I haven't actually sat down to create a card from scratch (my own original idea) for awhile! Unsually it's for a Swap or a challenge.

In fact, I'm taking a whole batch of old magazines with me on vacation next week and I intend to look through them, and tag them for ideas!

Vintagegal
07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I have moments when I want to be inspired, but nothing jumps out at me. Then, I have to look in magazines or books. Usually, if I'm given a theme, I'll decide at that moment what mood I'm in (whimsical, eclectic, vintage) and then create a card from there. Usually, I'm a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind-of cardmaker.

webzmacs
07-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I find that challenges motivate me. I sure wish I could get to a place where I could just sit and make stuff. I'm going to try to start cranking out about 10 Xmas cards per month beginning in August. Hopefully my 'self-set' challenge will get me creating and making great use of my free time!

Christie
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Well I dont think i've very creative. I'm good at putting colors together but that's about it. I think that I do better with a challenge and when someone sends me a kit of stuff I"m suppose to use.

mydogstinks2
07-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Alot of the time when I start a card the end product is not what I had in mind but works. Sometimes when I see a stamp I just know what the card should look like. Most of the time I have no idea and just go for it. I case alot too.

directmailscrapper
07-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I have recently decided that I am a great technician -- I can make a pretty or cute card -- but I don't have that artistic eye that some of you ladies have. My formula tends to be the same -- sometimes with creative variations -- but I don't know how many truly original ideas I come up with! I haven't tried the challenges -- maybe that would help me feel more creative!

Last nite I sat down with some new pp and coordinating card stock and cut the card stock and the pp to fit -- and COULD NOT FIGURE OUT what to do from there. I decided to spend my time cleaning up since I didn't have an ounce of creativity last nite!

Nancy

threefriends91
07-27-2007, 04:51 PM
well l do my cards best by just knowing the person and do what l think they would like. it sometimes takes me all day just going over and over a layout. l have never really done a challenge given to me by others.it might be fun or fear LOL.

loobylou
07-28-2007, 12:04 AM
I start with an image, then a sketch(usually someone elses), then papers/colours. My cards are rarely exact to a sketch, but it gives me a good starting point. I love challenges
sarah

midnitecreations
07-28-2007, 03:58 AM
Barb, I'm with you. I know I can color and image, but it's very hard to figure out what to do with that image once I've got it colored. I've got tons of emblishments but hardly ever use them. So, I think I'm gonna "borrow" some creativity and start casing. Your cards are always wonderful, so don't stop posting. I might need to case one of yours when I need some inspiration!