PDA

View Full Version : Stampbord usage question

inkinupstamps
07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
I've just finished the last of my pending family projects for a little while and am free to work on things just for my own enjoyment.

One thing I've asked about before and still haven't used is my Stampbord. I have a package of ATC size stampbord to play and experiment with.

Can you knowledgable ladies tell me if it matters how intriquite the stamp is that you use on the stampbord? What if the stamp I want to use has a very finely detailed image? Will that still be ok to use if I only scratch small areas?

Also, do you mount your stampbord on cardfronts when you are finished? Y'all know I do NOT do ATC's and I have a plan for my ATC size stampbord as part of a card front but I don't know if it will be too bulky and heavy?

Give me your best tips. We've chatted about this before but now I'm ready to start playing with it in earnest.

Any suggestions?

mcourtney
07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
You can use any stamp you want. Just scratch off as little or as much as you want. You can even scratch off and add another color in the scratches. If you mount them to cards make sure you use a heavy duty tape such as red liner tape. I have some samples in my Picturetrail.

HTH.

Firecracker
07-31-2007, 02:02 PM
I can't wait to see what you make! Hugs, Heather

iloveflipflops
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
What is a stampboard? Never heard of it. Do i need one? LOL

mcourtney
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
What is a stampboard? Never heard of it. Do i need one? LOL

It's a lightweight board that has a coating of white clay on top. It's super smooth and takes any kind of ink. It's been around for years but Stampscapes introduced it to stampers. You just stamp the image, color it, then using a scratch tool, you carve highlights into the clay. Check out stampscape's web site for more detail.

www.stampscapes.com (http://www.stampscapes.com)

Erin K
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Was it always called stamp board? I mean if it's been around for years but recently introducec to stampers I mean?

I want to try some too but my LSS only sells it in huge packs. :(

mcourtney
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Was it always called stamp board? I mean if it's been around for years but recently introducec to stampers I mean?

I want to try some too but my LSS only sells it in huge packs. :(

Some artists call it claybord, some call it gesso bord. Ampersand is the only company I am familiar with that manufactures it. It also comes in black.

inkinupstamps
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks so much for the advice Mary. I want to see your cards on your picture trail using the stampbord. Which file should I look in? Do you think it will be too heavy for a card?

My stampbord (and it IS spelled STAMPBORD) is also made by Ampersand Art Supply company.

I tried it once but didn't achieve the beautiful results I've seen others do with it so that is why I really appreciate your tips.

threefriends91
07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
l didn't know it was around or what it was, So thank you mcourtney. it's always great to learn something new each day TFS!

mcourtney
07-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks so much for the advice Mary. I want to see your cards on your picture trail using the stampbord. Which file should I look in? Do you think it will be too heavy for a card?

My stampbord (and it IS spelled STAMPBORD) is also made by Ampersand Art Supply company.

I tried it once but didn't achieve the beautiful results I've seen others do with it so that is why I really appreciate your tips.

It's under Mary's Creations. If you want to see some samples with stamps other than stampscapes check out this gallery and click on some of the names. Ken Pesho is from Arizona and I took a class from him. He's got an awesome gallery here. http://www.stampscapes.com/stampbordgallery.html

inkinupstamps
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
WOW !!! He is awesome! Oh my! Thanks so much for sharing his link. I'm going to study it carefully.

Thanks too for your help and suggestions, Mary. Your work is wonderful!

1of2shoes
07-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I've stamped quite a bit on Stampbord and I love it! Here are some of the things you can do with Stampbord before you even stamp on it:

* Ink it up with your ink pads. I love to use my dewdrops because of the size. You get different background effects by using different inks. I love the VersaMagic inks because of the soft look, but if you want a bolder look, then use dye-based inks. The CTMH inks give a brilliant background.

* Use alcohol inks. C'mon, it's fun! You can dab it on with your stamping pad thingy (what is that thing called??) or you can drop your ink directly onto the stampbord. You can also puddle your AI's onto wax paper, aluminium foil, craft sheet, etc., and then "dip" the surface of your stampbord into that for a different effect.

* Texturize your surface before you make the background. You can do this by sanding it, scraping it, carving into it, etc. The stampbord surface is hard and very smooth and is very versatile.

Ok, so after you've done what you want to with the background, then you need to stamp your image on top. I use StazOn a lot because it give a nice dark image, but I have used all the inks mentioned above. Depends on what kind of look you want.

The choice of images is up to you, as Mary said. You can pick a simple image or a complicated one. Here are some examples of what I've done with the stamped image on the stampbord:

On this one: http://1of2shoes.blogspot.com/2007/04/working-with-stampbord.html I used a very simple image and only carved into the border.

This one http://1of2shoes.blogspot.com/2007/04/cps-sketch-9.html I used four pieces of stampbord and one stamp across the front of them.

On these gift bags, http://1of2shoes.blogspot.com/2007/04/gift-bags.html I used the 2x2 stampbord and used 2x2 stamps by Magenta.

On these fiesta cards http://1of2shoes.blogspot.com/2007/03/arriba-arriba.html I used my CTMH dye-based inks and the background is very colorful and bright.

All the above links will explain how I made those cards with the Stampbord.

When I said "carve" into the Stampbord, I don't mean you need a chisel. You can use an Xacto knife, but it isn't controlled very well. You really should invest the $5 to buy the scratch tools. You can see the tools here: http://www.catscraftcupboard.com/pc-1105-152-stampbord-tools.aspx You can also purchase just the two scratch knives for around the $5. This complete set sells for $25.

When you carve, it's just scraping, really. Each tool does something different. One tool makes nice fine, straight lines. The other one makes curvier lines and can take off more surface at one time. It's kind of spoon-shaped. You don't take off much of the surface at all to expose the white underlayment of clay.

Also, did you know you can punch holes in your Stampbord with your Crop-a-dile? Yep! Cuts through it like a hot knife through butter.

Sorry this is so wordy. I just love stamping on Stampbord. Oh, speaking of Stampbord, do you wanna know a secret? I am going to be the featured How-To artist on the Stampbord site for October, 2007! How fun is that??

inkinupstamps
07-31-2007, 03:25 PM
You've helped so much and you are so good with this product. I can hardly wait to see your stampbord projects hit the site! That is soooooo exciting! Congratulations!!

I do have the correct stampbord scratch tools too so I can "scratch" properly. I just haven't had too much success so far.

Thanks for your GREAT explanation and all of the details. Everything I've seen done with it is just magical in appearance....well...with the exception of mine. I'll work on it!

THANK SO MUCH DEBBIE AND MARY! :)

1of2shoes
07-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention this: You can color on Stampbord with your Prismas. The color isn't real bright nor can you blend real well, but you can color on it. You can also use your Twinkling H2O's, acrylics, whatever you want.

Stampbord comes in lots of sizes, too. Check out the Stampbord website: www.stampbord.com (http://www.stampbord.com)

That's all. For now. I just get so excited about this. Thanks Jennifer, for bringing up this topic.

1of2shoes
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok, if any of you want to try Stampbord, I will send you two pieces to play with. You have to PM me to get it. I may miss your post here. Make sure you PM me and I'll send you some tomorrow. Only 10 people, please. I'd hate to run out of Stampbord! :)

Far North
08-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Oh Jennifer how wonderful that you got our experts to share their stampbord work. I was inspired to buy a few pieces but then intimindated enough that I didn't want to mess them up! So I really do appreciate all the tips here and will try it very soon!

Debbie congratulations on your selection as featured artist! You will be wonderful!!! And how very kind of you to offer some beginning pieces to folks...one can't get more inspiration than that after all the all the tips that you and Mary shared!
Thanks ever so much!...Jan

JBgreendawn
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
I have never heard of this stuff...
oh man now i wish i was having a stay home day so i could browse around and figure it out...
:)
Maybe tonight,