PDA

View Full Version : Diabeties and cat food

threefriends91
08-02-2007, 05:20 AM
my friend who is on disability and lives on her own, has 2 cats thay are her baby's.the 16 year old she has found out has diabeties and was told the food she has to buy for her is called Renal L.P. which she can only buy at the vets, and her other cat is the fat man, so they put him on a diet with Purina D.M. that can only be bought at the vets as well.
she only makes 700.00 and the food for these cats cost her 350.00. so she wants to know if any of you know of any other food that she could buy which would cost less and do the same job. the poor dear has given up eating for these cats.

MyRnAbS
08-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Although I'm no expert, but I do have diabeties myself don't know if it's the same thing. I ran a search and found this really helpful site but let me paste this little faq:
Q: My cat doesn't like / I can't afford the expensive prescription food. Is there any less expensive substitute?
Yes, the good news is that any low-carbohydrate canned or pouched food can be used successfully to manage and cure the feline diabetic. Some good brands include Fancy Feast, Whiskas, Nutro Kitten, ProPlan kitten, even Friskies and Nine Lives (never feed any cat an “adult” or “senior” formula. These older cat formulas are packed with carbohydrate!)

and here is the website HTH:
http://yourdiabeticcat.com/faq.html

GrammaStamper
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Myran, thanks for helping out this Shackie. I would never have known where to look for something like this. You did her friend a great service today. Bless you.

MyRnAbS
08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Why you are most welcomed Barb! I'm here to help as much as I possibly can. I feel it's not enough though. Perhaps by sending her some gift cards that would make me feel better? But I need more info!

ellie
08-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Myrna...you are always such a blessing.

threefriends91
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Dear MyRnAb, l would like to thank you so much, l just called her and read her your comments and sent her the web. she started to cry she was so happy and asked me to tell you this: her words: l would like to Thank you and her, this is truly a blessing and l can't thank you enough.
MyRnAb it was so nice to hear her cry with joy, this will help she said now l will beable to do some food shopping for myself.

MyRnAbS
08-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Awwwwwwww, I'm so glad that I could cheer her up! I will be sending her a gift card for her cat food supplies, but tell me does she have a local Wal-mart? Or what does she have in her area, and will you be a sweetheart and pm me her addy?

threefriends91
08-03-2007, 05:23 AM
oh wow MyRnAbS many thanks, l have been sending her cards and gifts aswell but this will blow her away thanks, and yes she has a wal-mart close by
Miss J Huber
81 Dalhousie st. apt. 809
Toronto Ontario Canada
M5B 2N1

MyRnAbS
08-03-2007, 05:43 AM
OMG!! She's from CANADA? WOW!! Okay well I'll jot this down now and then you can edit and delete it. Just in case anyone else not from the shack gets a hold of it, KWIM? thank you so much for giving me her addy, I will put something in the mail for her as soon as I go to wally world! Thanks again!

stampinmom3
08-03-2007, 07:06 AM
I worked at a vet for awhile and know that food can be VERY expensive. I had to have my diabetic dog on special food before she passed, plus the insulin etc..very costly. I would check with the vet before getting an alternative store food, just tell them the situation and that the presc. food cannot be afforded. They will recommend something else.

threefriends91
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Thank You Stampinmom3 for your input. l have drove her down to the vet and was their when she told them about problems with money, they said sorry there was nothing they could do and that maybe she could find a new home for the cat. she started to cry said that this was her family and could never give her away. they sure were not very helpful, l called around to different vet places and kind of got the same answer. l feel for her but l tryed to tell her she has to live and maybe someone here could give her some advice. So are you saying that the info that was given to MyRnAbs was wrong? just wondering because you worked their, you may know something we don't thanks for your input