PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth!

My3Ds
08-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm scheduling an appt today with the oral surgeon to have my wisdom teeth removed. Any recommendations on whether I should have a local anesthetic or be put 'under'? Sherri - any advice from Emily :)

ellie
08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
For me, it would be under all the way. Maybe that is something the dr. will discuss with you. Have you ever been put to sleep before? Are you allergic to any meds? Is there someone available to drive you home? Just some things to consider. Let us know what you decide.

threefriends91
08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Wisdom teeth are very painful, when l had mine taken out l asked for a local anesthetic, l wish l would have been put under. l was not in any pain it but just felt awful with him so close, and feeling all the pulling, however thats my thought

suzi_f
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I was knocked out when I had mine done & that is the ONLY way as far as I'm concerned.

My3Ds
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
I've been under only once before and the recovery was not so good. I woke up with a migraine headache from the meds. I think that bothers me more than having the teeth removed.

Christie
08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I think that anytime you don't have to go under completly its better. There is always a risk when you do.

iloveflipflops
08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
GO COMPLETELY UNDER!!! Emily did fine and I think it was because i kept her medicated with pain meds for 3 straight days. She slept alot it off. Adults I think do better than kids. My DH had them out when he was 45 and he was fine.

directmailscrapper
08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Take your doctor's advice. I was under for my wisdom teeth in my teens (a long time ago.) Since then I have had 2 teeth pulled -- one I went under and the other I didn't. The doctor recommended which one for each -- based upon the condition of the tooth.

When they put you under for your teeth, it's not as far under as for regular surgery -- I was able to drive home after my one extraction -- I was only "out" for a few minutes. And I'm glad I was! If you have a choice, I'd GO UNDER!

Sherry
08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
When I was 24, I had all four of mine extracted at the same time in the dentist's chair, fully awake and alert. I didn't mind it at all. The worst part, in fact, was getting the freezing because they have to inject it directly into the roof of your mouth. I have a super fabulous dentist who is very gentle so all I really felt was a tiny bit of tugging. I also heard the odd 'crack' here and there as they twisted them out but it was no big deal.

Of course you will be a little sore afterwards. Everyone is different and handles/reacts to pain differently but in my case, I had very little pain (only took one round of the pain meds) and no swelling at all. Watch out for dry socket, though. Now that is painful!! In case you don't know what that is, it is when the blood clotting comes out of the socket and exposes the bone to air and fluid. No sucking through a straw; no sucking on anything!

It is definitely better not to go under if you can do it that way.

mjbonoan
08-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Good Luck Dear, I had mine done 20 years ago. I was put on something called twilight (sp) I don't remember feeling paid during the procedure. It will uncomfortable for about a week afterwards... watch for dry sockets!

Again, Good Luck and keep us posted!
MJ

My3Ds
08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Eeww! I'm so not looking forward to this. My regular dentist said that the roots were shallow so that should help. My wisdom teeth came in when I was a teenager and that was quite a few years ago. I hope they aren't too attached in there ;)

Erin K
08-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I had a combo of local and gas. I liked that fine. I don't do well with general. I will always refuse it if I can.

teabear
08-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Do whatever you feel most comfortable with. I think it's always safest to go with the least anasthesia possible. So, if local is an option and you can handle the noise and stuff do that. I hope it goes smoothly and you are out in no time.

My3Ds
08-03-2007, 06:22 PM
My consult is in a few weeks. I asked them to move it up if possible. I would love to be able to get this done asap. Otherwise, I'll chicken out.

cindi
08-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I didn't feel a thing & had all 4 out at once.
Ice after is the key to the least pain & swelling.
Good luck
:)

GSMom385
08-04-2007, 01:14 AM
I just had mine out last year and I am 37. Which I know is weird but I only had two not the normal 4 and they weren't causing issues so they left them alone until they did have a problem. I went completely out. I felt great afterward no pain at all doin fine and then I over did it going back to work to earlier than the doc wanted me to and didn't take the pain meds and OMG, it knocked me on my butt fast with pain. Then I had dry socket, which was the worst. Do what they tell you stay down and rest and take your meds. That going completely out gives you a real false sense of everything is great.

IslandStamps
08-04-2007, 01:19 AM
I had mine out about 20 years ago. I wasn't fully out, but had a valium IV, and let's just say, I felt no pain at all! I would have been more freaked about being put under I think. That being said....I had some minor surgery last year, and that was the first time ever I'd been put under. Now I think that is the only way to go, as you're spared all the poking and prodding indignities!