PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room Logs

Sherry
08-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Hiya gals,

I received the following question via email twice today and thought that it was a valid question and one that should be answered publicly.

"Can you read everything that happens in the chatroom even when your not there?"

The answer is yes. The chat software keeps a record of the conversations that take place in the chat room. However, the chat log only keeps a record of the chat log for 24 hours. After that, it is automatically deleted by the software and the chat log begins again. It does not keep record of every single conversation that has ever taken place forever and ever.

Every once in awhile I skim over the chat logs just to be sure that the conversations taking place in the chat room are acceptable (ie. nobody is being harassed). I do not sit down and read the chat logs like a novel nor do I read them on a daily basis. I honestly wouldn't have the time even if I wanted to!

This leads me to another question that was once asked.

"Can you read our private messages?"

Absolutely not. Neither administrators or moderators have access to read the private messages stored in our system. Even if I could, I would never dream of invading anyone's privacy in that way.

If anyone has any other questions they would like answered, by all means, fire away!

Far North
08-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks Sherry! It's nice to know such information. Do you know if that would be pretty standard for "most" forum setups or is there a lot of variation between software?...just curious.
...Jan

mjbonoan
08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow...this thought had actually never crossed my mind. However, I guess common sense told me that, being the "woman in cotrol," you could see everything. I honestly have nothing to hide... neither in the chat nor the PM's. You are totally right, imagine how time consuming it would be if you had to watch over us on a constant basis. That would totally consume your time, I know that it's hard for me, being that I have a full time job, to even keep up with daily posts. Therefore, I only respond to those where I might have a positive input for someone and I usually only chat in the evenings when I'm trying to relax a bit... I love it there, everyone is very friendly and helpful, always full of good advice and lots of laughter (LOL)... I have never come across any negativity towards anyone there or anywhere in here!!!

Thanks for this great information...
Mary Jayne

loobylou
08-04-2007, 07:31 PM
It hadn't occurred to me that you would have chat logs. At first when I heard this I admit I felt "violated", but as i think more about it, it is a good thing. If something bad is happening to anyone in the chat, if they contact you immediately then you would be able to check the chatlogs. I know that evidence from chatlogs on MSN has been printed and used in court as evidence. We also have the ability to save a conversation ourselves should the need ever arise, (there is a save button at the bottom of the chat page)
I am glad you have announced it to everyone- it will keep us using our best manners!!! LOL
Sarah

MyRnAbS
08-04-2007, 07:51 PM
This is good to know. I myself am a chat junkie ;) I love it there, and I really don't care who reads it or not because I tend to always speak my mind. Besides the chat is a huge stress reliever for me. And just like everything else in life we will find many different opinions in there, but that's what makes it more enticing. We all have different opinions and likes/dislikes, but it's all good! Sherry I'm glad you took the time to let all of us know about this.

BTW, I LOVE YOU ALL!! So come on and join the rest of just chat junkies we are usually on in the evenings, but all are welcomed, and we really do have lots of fun!! See ya there.........OR..........B........SQUARE ;)

Sherry
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks Sherry! It's nice to know such information. Do you know if that would be pretty standard for "most" forum setups or is there a lot of variation between software?...just curious.
...Jan

Hi Jan,

Every forum software/chat software is different in the way of settings and function but most forum set-ups do not allow administrator access to private messages. I won't say it can't be done because it can. Just recently there was a huge debate/argument on the vbulletin website because someone had created a hack that would allow admins and moderators to read private messages. Most forum administrators were deeply offended by this (including myself) and we argued that this was a huge violation of privacy. The debate got rather heated and the hack was ultimately removed. This doesn't mean that it still isn't in circulation though. If, you happen to visit a website with a dishonest forum administrator then anything is certainly possible.

If I could give any kind of advice, it would be to use caution on what type of personal details you provide on any website. When using chat rooms, remember that almost ALL of them have some sort of message logging so you might want to be extra careful there. I definitely wouldn't provide credit card information or anything like that.

Erin K
08-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Also don't be harassing peeps in PM's because they will just forward them to Sherry or a mod...

I'm only teasing, I don't think we have a big problem with harassers here.

This is all interesting to know.

mjbonoan
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I've always felt safe/secure here at the Shack, and being that it's a paid membership... I'm very comfortable with the idea that "non members" do not have "full" access... As you know the "active members" here will always communicate with each other at one time or another... I feel like we are "One Big (happy) Family" where we should all be able to trust each other!

Thanks for all this geat and valuable info.

Sherry
08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
It hadn't occurred to me that you would have chat logs. At first when I heard this I admit I felt "violated", but as i think more about it, it is a good thing. If something bad is happening to anyone in the chat, if they contact you immediately then you would be able to check the chatlogs. I know that evidence from chatlogs on MSN has been printed and used in court as evidence. We also have the ability to save a conversation ourselves should the need ever arise, (there is a save button at the bottom of the chat page)
I am glad you have announced it to everyone- it will keep us using our best manners!!! LOL
Sarah

I'm so sorry that you felt violated, Sarah :(
I guess I just assumed that everyone was aware of the existence of chat logs. Like you said, the user themselves are able to save chat sessions so the information is obviously being stored somewhere. You are right though; chat logs can be a great asset! If a serious incident were to ever happen in the chatroom, there would be proof (assuming we got to it within the 24 hours before it was deleted).

I certainly do not read through the chat logs to see who might be cursing or gossiping. We're all grown women here and it's a free country. I merely skim through very quickly to make sure that, first of all, everything is working as it should and, secondly, to make sure that everyone is having a good time and that nobody is being harassed in any way.

If ever anyone has a question as to the ins and outs and the workings of the website, I would be glad to answer them :)

MyRnAbS
08-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Sherry,
Thank GOD!! about the cussing part, cause God knows that I'm as guilty as the shooter of the grassy nole on that part!! Thank you for not being judgemental on that part. This really takes a huge load of my back, for this was the only thing I was really worried about. I sometimes type weird things. I STILL LOVE IT HERE!!

Sherry
08-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Sherry,
Thank GOD!! about the cussing part, cause God knows that I'm as guilty as the shooter of the grassy nole on that part!! Thank you for not being judgemental on that part. This really takes a huge load of my back, for this was the only thing I was really worried about. I sometimes type weird things. I STILL LOVE IT HERE!!

Good golly, don't ever worry about cussing and stuff in the chat room. Honestly, I could care less what is said in there (unless of course someone was being insulted or verbally abused). I just want EVERYONE to feel welcome and at home here. If someone happens to have a potty mouth, so be it! :)

GrammaStamper
08-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, I'm not in the chatroom as often as I'd like to be, but next time, I'll be packin' a bar of soap! Just Kidding, I've been known to use a cuss word or three.

MyRnAbS
08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Barb,
ha ha ha! The one time I've seen you there you were extremely nice and proper, I can't picture you having an old truckers mouth like mine :shocked: Hope to see you in there again and soon!!

hutchink
08-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Sherry so glad that you started a thread about this- I like Sarah felt very violated when I learned of you reading the chat logs- not that I feel I have said things that are off color or because I'm trying to hide anything- ok that trucker mouth I have maybe...te he he. I just was not aware of the fact that you read the logs!

Thanks for making us understand why you do it and everything! Makes me feel so much better!

~K

mjbonoan
08-04-2007, 09:52 PM
How funny is this... this is my normal chat time and now that the truth is known here I am all alone!!! Not even my best friend Myrna is here with me... I guess I'll have to go find het at Yahoo Messenger!!!

Oh... I had to edit...
BTW... I never felt violated, I knew this all along!

mjbonoan
08-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Nevermind... I guess I spoke too soon... it's great to have a full house!!!

ellie
08-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I had no idea that you would have to skim over the messages...that is yet another thing you do for us Sherry. You are such a blessing.
I love the chat room and always enjoy talking to everyone. I think we are blessed to have such a great group of women.

Sherry
08-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Sherry so glad that you started a thread about this- I like Sarah felt very violated when I learned of you reading the chat logs- not that I feel I have said things that are off color or because I'm trying to hide anything- ok that trucker mouth I have maybe...te he he. I just was not aware of the fact that you read the logs!

Thanks for making us understand why you do it and everything! Makes me feel so much better!
~K

Aww, Kim. Again, I apologize if you felt violated. The chat logs merely serve as another level of protection at The Stamp Shack. Do you remember that guy that logged into the chat room one time and was acting very weird? I wasn't online so someone sent me a PM and told me about him being there. I was then able to read through the chat log for that day to see exactly what the dude was saying and what he was up to. It turns out that he was just having a look around but what if he had begun harassing one of the ladies here or began soliciting for credit card info and such? I would have been able to look up his username, grab his IP address, and we could have went from there.

I guess the whole reason this whole chat log conversation came up is because of Linzy's departure. Linzy asked for her account to be deleted in a very short PM to me. She did not say why she was leaving and it left me wondering if something might have happened. It must have been something terrible to make her want to delete an account that she paid for. So, I turned to the chat log to see if there might be any useful information in there. I didn't see any arguements or anything that would have caused Linzy to want to leave. What I did see, however, was a small discussion that eluded to the fact that Linzy and I must have had an altercation and that I probably banned her from the website. This so did not happen. I was just as surprised as anyone else at Linzy's request. To prevent rumors from starting and breeding like wild fire, I felt the need to step into the chat room and make things right. It must have been at that point when users first realized the existence of the chat logs. For this I am truly sorry. The nerd in me just assumed that everyone knew.

firefly
08-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Thank you Sherry for taking such good care of this site! And of us!

My3Ds
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Sherry,
Thank GOD!! about the cussing part, cause God knows that I'm as guilty as the shooter on the grassy nole on that part!!

Myrna - you are too funny.;)

mjbonoan
08-05-2007, 11:44 AM
[quote=Sherry;102443]Aww, Kim. Again, I apologize if you felt violated. The chat logs merely serve as another level of protection at The Stamp Shack. Do you remember that guy that logged into the chat room one time and was acting very weird? I wasn't online so someone sent me a PM and told me about him being there. I was then able to read through the chat log for that day to see exactly what the dude was saying and what he was up to. It turns out that he was just having a look around but what if he had begun harassing one of the ladies here or began soliciting for credit card info and such? I would have been able to look up his username, grab his IP address, and we could have went from there.quote]

Sherrry you are so right... I remember many years ago I used to chat at www.fertilethoughts.com (http://www.fertilethoughts.com) we had intruder that we couldn't get rid of. There we were all "infertile" women trying to console and/or support each other and we had this weirdo insulting us and wanting to have cybersex with us. To make a long story short, the administrators ended up making it a membership only site and that was the end of that.
Thanks for making us feel safe and secure in here!

MJ

Christie
08-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Sherry I'm glad that you have made this all public. I was feeling a little weird about the whole thing from Friday morning. I didn't know what to make of you telling us you could read the chat logs. I of course don't have a problem with it but was just surpised to know it. I never really thought about it. I can defintaley see how being able to read them can be a safty device for all us hot babes!! LOL!! Thanks again.

Sherry
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Again, I am so sorry if this has made anyone uncomfortable. I know this whole thing sounds as though it's a huge violation of privacy and I'm making it sound like I grab a cup of coffee and sit down to a good read once a day but please know that I RARELY skim the chat logs - usually just once a month when I perform maintenance & backup on the website (usually the first of the month if anyone wants to know :)). I honestly have no intentions on violating your privacy or trust. Like I said, the only real reason I checked the log 'off schedule' is because of Linzy's account deletion. I wanted to know if something went down in the chatroom to make her want to leave. And, I did not sit and read the entire chat log from one end to the other. I did a search for the word 'Linzy' and only the posts that had Linzy's name in them or posts by made Linzy herself would have been shown. I guess in this case, it is Linzy who should feel most violated :err:.

flyingflower
08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm glad to know you don't sit down and read the chat logs start to finish like a novel - I'd be worried about you sweetie if the most exciting thing in your day was learning about the weather forecasts in the United States!

It is scary when someone who has been an active part of the group disappears suddenly. I'm glad to know that it was Linzy's choice to reduce committments in her life and not that something tragic happened.

Sherry, you have done sooooo much for all of us providing this site and keeping it going. I am glad you have an extra layer of security available to help protect us if ever needed by being able to pull info from the chat log. Thank you again for making us all shackies :D