PDA

View Full Version : The next time I think getting a puppy would be fun SHOOT ME!!

mydogstinks2
08-04-2007, 05:22 PM
How do you teach a puppy to not bark all the time while she is playing? We are doing great with the potty training. She has finally learned not to chew the legs off of the chairs. She even picks up her toys and puts them on her blanket, that is except to 6 or so we have in our bed! We are still working on the fact that the shoes and undies are not chew toys.

But the barking is driving me nuts! I know she is just excited and playing but there has to be a way. She is starting to learn that she can howl and then oh-no are we in for it!!

hbpuppy
08-04-2007, 06:44 PM
As I'm reading your post I'm yelling at my 10 year old lab for barking. He's doing a countdown to dinner bark. I don't know how to get your puppy to stop barking while playing. I think a lot of it will go away when it gets older. (Let's hope.)

workin4stamps
08-04-2007, 09:48 PM
hmm....I am very lucky in that respect. Colby hardly ever barks. Usually only when someone is at the door, or a stranger is in his yard!

:-)
Traci

Victorianrose
08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, my mom uses an empty soda can filled w/small metal objects. She rattles it and the dog stops barking.
Maybe this'll help?
Debbie

ellie
08-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I was told by a trainer once to put some pennies in a tin can. When the puppy does something you don't like, shake the can to make noise...supposedly, they don't like the loud noise and will learn to associate it with barking. We purchased a small airhorn for Zoe. All I have to do is hold it now and she knows we mean business. Good luck!
PS: she will be 3 pretty soon and still hasn't gotten the whole thing about the undies and socks. Yuck...glad I'm not a dog!