PDA

View Full Version : Any apple computer geeks here?

ctinyjoy
08-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Question for you...do you know what button combination to push to bypass the start up password? My DS1 has an old ibook that he gave to DS3. Problem is he can't remember the password. The hint is of no help..."The brace that keeps my life together" We have tried all the things we think has kept him together, but to no avail. I have heard that there is a button combo but can't seem to figure it out. I am not an Apple person so I am clueless.

Any help would be appreciated....

Vintagegal
08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Cheri,

Try this:

Resetting a user's password - Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 or later (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156)

Use Accounts preferences to reset an account password.

Log in with an administrator account. Tip: If you don't know the password of any administrator accounts, see "Resetting the original administrator account password" below.
From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.
From the View menu choose Accounts.
Click the lock button if it appears locked.
Select the username whose password you want to change.
Click the Reset Password button (Mac OS X 10.4 only).
Enter a new password in both the Password and Verify fields, and hint.
Click the Reset Password button (Mac OS X 10.4 only).
If a dialog box appears with the message "Your Keychain password will be changed to your new account password," click OK.

Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.

Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482)Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.
Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.
Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
Set the user name of your original administrator account.
Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

tojoco
08-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Cheri, do you happen to have the OS install disk? If you do, try reinstalling the OS and give the Administrator a new password. Let me know if this helps.