PDA

View Full Version : It's back to the Vet again...

scraphappy908
08-13-2007, 07:59 AM
I have to take my poor cat back to the vet this morning. Woke up and found that her right eye is swollen closed. She was at the Vet three weeks ago for a cold and last week for imunization shots. I've paid out $216.00 for both visits. In addition to that, I had my dog in last month because her alergies were getting the best of her. That cost me $497.00. YIKES!

Don't get me wrong, my babies are worth every bit of it, but right now I'm not working and we've had some unexpected expenses this summer (in addition to the vet bills). I can't wait to get back to work which will be in two weeks. I just have to remember that God doesn't give you any more than he thinks you can handle. Trouble is I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much!

I'll update when I get back. Thanks for reading this and letting me vent.
Amy :arghh:

Swanie78
08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Yikes!
Here's hoping its nothing serious!
The vet scares me! Not because Im scared of the docs/procedures, Im scared of the bills. And I HATE the fact that they make you pay upfront now. Yeah, like I just happen to be sitting on a wad of bills to drop in your lap at this very emergency!
My cat has only been to the vet once in 6 years (he had his kitten stuff thats it). He's strictly indoors and never around other animals so I dont get him vaccinated. He's only been sick once in a that time and the vet misdiagnosed him. It turned out to be something I figured out on my own (extreme heat that summer).
Good luck!!

teabear
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear your furbaby is sick. I've been thinking about pet insurance. I don't know anyone who has it, but it sounds like a good option.

cindi
08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
sorry to hear of your poor kitty.
I hope everythings ok, and I can relate about the vet bills, trust me!
:)

scraphappy908
08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, here's the update on poor kitty. (Sorry it took so long to get back on and post.) Took her to the vet and he put some green dye eye drops in her eye. He said it was so that he could see if she scratched her eyeball. Also it has a numbing agent in it which would help ease the pain of the swelling. Unfortunately, it was so swollen that he couldn't even pry the eye lids apart. (They looked like they were inside out. Yuk)

The vet then gave her a steroid shot to reduce the swelling. He gave me ointment to put in her eye 3 to 4 times a day and liquid antibiotic for the infection which I have to give one eye dropper full twice a day. Then I have to take her back on Wednesday morning for follow up.

Now for those of you who have cats, you already know that giving them pills is next to impossible. And trying to shove an eyedropper into their mouth is almost like trying to pry a crocodile's mouth open with a big stick! Not only that, cats are notorious for foaming at the mouth when given something against their will! My ds was the only one home to help me with her. He was trying to hold her while I dispensed the goods. The cat squirmed so much that she tore my son's t-shirt and scratched his chest. We ended up rolling her up in a beach towel like a enchalada. I don't know who was more worn out from all the wrestling! But this evening when it came time to give the cat more meds, my poor son disappeared in an instant and left my 14 yo dd to the nasty task.

By the way, the vet bill this time was $126.00 and only $45.00 of it was for the vet. The rest was to pay for the medication. Thanks again for letting me vent.
Amy :(

teabear
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh boy and you have to go back too. I hope your cat gets well quickly and no other injuries.