PDA

View Full Version : What are your earliest card making memories??

lost luggage
10-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll start :rolleyes:

My mom used to force us to sit and write thank you notes for every gift we received...

In elementry school, my friends and I used to pass notes all the time (there's a shocker)... We used to go to this cute hallmarky type store called "What's Up" and buy paper by the sheet to write the notes on.. During the summer we wrote letters and mailed them, even though we saw eachother almost every day. I'd give anything to have those notes today...I'd love to look back and remember. I LOVE getting mail! (Imagine my delight when I discovered this thing called "swaping" last month! I run to the mailbox every day! Nothing's come back yet...lol one day!) :D

One of my favorite things to do when I was little was play with craft stuff...we made warm fuzzy's, friendship bracelets, beaded jewelry, tie die...it wasn't uncommon to find me selling things to the neighborhood kids. Second to this was cooking...but that's a different web site. :D

I bye art supplies all the time, I love art supply stores! At my last job, I met my new best friend who pushed me more into a creative direction...she's SUPER fancy and creative...she helped me reel myself in and start to make stuff. She's the person who I admire most when it comes to paper crafting... If she gets excited about something I make, I get excited!

Anyway, enough rambling...I'd love to hear how you guys got started!

Talk to you soon,
Julie :)

inkinupstamps
10-15-2006, 02:44 PM
That's a fun question to pose to everyone, Julie!

I'm like you in that my mother instilled in all of my sisters, brother and myself to always, ALWAYS write a thank you note. I liked doing it though because I could get my crayons out and draw a picture and color it in and send it to my friends and relatives.

I guess I've just always been a sucker for a new box of crayons...or prismacolor pencils...or twinkling H2O's and coloring away with them. Consequently when I began stamping with my own children and making cards with them some 14 or 15 years ago it was like carrying on what I loved in my childhood and (hopefully) instilling the same in my own children. My oldest son (now 28 years old) made me my mother's day card this year. How fun is that? :D

teabear
10-15-2006, 02:53 PM
The earliest cards that I remember making was when I was about 6 y.o. My mom bought a set of color your own cards from Current and I colored them and sent them as thank you cards. I really loved those. I didn't start making cards again until about 3 yrs. ago. It's even more fun now :)

nsbirdy
10-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Wow! Talk about bringing back memories! My mother always said, "You can't play with it, wear it, read it or eat until until you have acknowledged it in writing". I brought my kids up the same way, though the rules are a bit more lenient nowadays. They both still write thank you notes but sometimes a phone call or email is acceptable. But I digress. I didn't get into card making until about three years ago when some friends invited me to a stamping afternoon. Can you believe I had no idea what they were talking about? One card and I was hooked ...

laos348
10-15-2006, 07:17 PM
I remember sending thank you notes as a kid, but I'm not sure if I made them or not. Before I started stamping, I LOVED Hallmark and Current and anyplace with cards. I still have a stash around somewhere that I put away after I started making my own. I started stamping back in '92 but there were many years in between that unfortunately were devoid of any type of crafting. Now I blissfully full of inky fingers again!

Laura

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
is of making valentines from doilies and red crayon.

Fun question, Julie!

Jane

GrammaStamper
10-15-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't recall ever making cards as a child. About 2 years ago, my DD, who lives in England sent me a beautiful Christmas card. I thought it looked handmade and thought I would like to be able to do that, too. It seems the Brits have the most unusual store-bought cards. Anyway, I blame Kirsten for getting me hooked on card making. I still have that card and look at it occasionally and say, "If it wasn't for you, card, I'd be rich!". LOL!

stampcrazyjulie
10-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Hmmm....Good question, Julie! Ever since I can remember I have loved to write letters & stamp something on them and the envelope. I remember when I was about 7 or 8 my Mom used to buy us stickers, & we used them on every card & letter we ever sent! :) I didn't really get into card makeing though until about 6 years ago when a Co-Worker invited me to a CTMH (then DOTS) party. I became addicted from that point on!

Erin K
10-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I loved the card stores as a kid. I was more of a stationary girl, I made my own, I used stencils and this crazy pen technique I made up. I'll have to do something like that and show you sometimes, anyhow I had a whole collection of stationary I had made.

my mom didn't make me do thank you cards :(

lbakerc42
10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
hmmm, my mom made me write thank you notes as a child. I did it kicking and screaming the whole time. I am glad now that she taught me manners.

But I didn't really become interested in cardmaking until ~3 months ago when I started lurking on the PCMB. The woman Two pead and G'd so many wonderful cards and I always thought they were beautiful. I left it at that.

Then I was the reciever of those beautiful cards due to Nancy A. asking people to send them to me after I was diagnosed with cancer. Well that changed my whole perspective because I saw the "value of the card" -beautiful cards are everywhere but the special people who make and send them are few. I wanted to be in that special "few" catagory. So two nights ago I made my first card-its for a swap but I intend to make more to send to family, friends etc for special occassions, all occassions and no occassions.
Thanks to all the ladies that have inspired me to add cardmaking and rubber stamping to my crafting list!

Well that's my story. Thanks Ladies for everything!

Erin K
10-15-2006, 09:46 PM
hmmm, my mom made me write thank you notes as a child. I did it kicking and screaming the whole time. I am glad now that she taught me manners.

But I didn't really become interested in cardmaking until ~3 months ago when I started lurking on the PCMB. The woman Two pead and G'd so many wonderful cards and I always thought they were beautiful. I left it at that.

Then I was the reciever of those beautiful cards due to Nancy A. asking people to send them to me after I was diagnosed with cancer. Well that changed my whole perspective because I saw the "value of the card" -beautiful cards are everywhere but the special people who make and send them are few. I wanted to be in that special "few" catagory. So two nights ago I made my first card-its for a swap but I intend to make more to send to family, friends etc for special occassions, all occassions and no occassions.
Thanks to all the ladies that have inspired me to add cardmaking and rubber stamping to my crafting list!

Well that's my story. Thanks Ladies for everything!

this brought tears to my eyes. hugs!!:o

craftingcrazy
10-15-2006, 09:58 PM
would probably be after I bought my first rubber stamp. I, too, had to write thanks you notes as a kid after birthdays and Christmas, and I loved doing detailed "coloring", which probably applies to my current card making techniques. I first saw someone at a Christmas bazaar demo heat embossing (back around 1990) and then I was on a search for more rubber stamp supplies. Then I started making Christmas cards every year. If anyone lives in or near Plano, TX, is the store "Stamp Asylum" still there? That was my handout. I spent a lot of money at that store!

Enjoyed reading everyone's story on this thread.
Donna

lost luggage
10-15-2006, 10:34 PM
is of making valentines from doilies and red crayon.

Fun question, Julie!

Jane

Thanks, Jane! You made me have a flashback of making brown paper sacks to hold our valentines at school. I used to love doing that!

lost luggage
10-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Hmmm....Good question, Julie! Ever since I can remember I have loved to write letters & stamp something on them and the envelope. I remember when I was about 7 or 8 my Mom used to buy us stickers, & we used them on every card & letter we ever sent! :) I didn't really get into card makeing though until about 6 years ago when a Co-Worker invited me to a CTMH (then DOTS) party. I became addicted from that point on!

Hehehe...did you have photo albums full of stickers? A sticker book? We had pages and pages of scratch and sniffs!!! LOL! (I ran across some scratch and sniffs at the flea two weekends ago...they didn't smell anymore.)

Far North
10-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Not only did my Mom have me write thank you's but she was also crafty so as a family we always recycled our Christmas cards into tags for the following year. She passed on her love of pens, nice paper and interest in nice handwriting. But oh so special is that she saved many of our early creations. I have the invitation I made in first grade to invite to my Brownie Girl Scout investiture. Now that she lives in an extended care facility and has extremely limited space, she still keeps the handmade cards I make her. I am blessed that she passed on so many special interests.

...Jan
...Jan

lost luggage
10-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Jan,
That is really special! Thank you for sharing that with us :)
Julie

NannyVal
10-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I never tried making cards until I ended up with preclampsia during my pregnancy. I was on strick bed rest for 8 weeks! I had a home nurse come every day. She is a SU lady. Of course we gabbed about scrapping and stuff. one day she brought in 3 shoe boxes of handmade cards for me to look through, a slew of SU stamps and inks pads, etc. Needless to say I was hooked immediately. I've been making cards since. ( Now don't be sad about the bedrest ladies) Yes I did spend 8 weeks on strick bedrest, but I felt too good to just lie there, so I took over the guest room queen bed, spread all my scrapper stuff all over it, and scrapped in bed for 8 weeks, needless to say I did not mind the bedrest ;)