PDA

View Full Version : Gym vs Curves

ccstampin12
08-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I need to do something very soon.
Walking just isn't moving the pounds!
I asked about Curves a while back and everyone recommended it!
Now, what about people who go to gyms?
Do you know about something called Power Plates? I think that's what it's called...for people who are older...out of shape....arthritic....etc.
DD says it's a short workout, and doesn't beat up the body...her SIL did this one!
Any info. will be appreciated, and any comparisons will help also. I think in September, after we go to doctor appointments for a week in NYState, I will have to do something here for the fall...winter....and beyond??? LOL
:wacko:
Thanks in advance!
Joanie

Christie
08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't know anything about that workout. I have taken pilates classes before and I don't really like pilates much. I'm more of a yoga girl. I have gone to curves and have been a member of a gym. I perfer the gym more. Curves to me gets boring after a while doing the same thing over and over. The gym gives you more variety of what you can do. The plus side of curves is that it's only women so you don't have to worry about men and your less worried about what you look like while jogging in place!

cindi
08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I love pilates....I feel very tall and limber after doing them, and thats sayingf since I'
m only 5'3
lol
:)

tesschap
08-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I enjoyed Curves when I went. They moved and changed ownership and I'm not sure if I would still like it. I do need to check it out though! The gyms here are geared to 23 year olds :)

ccstampin12
08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I enjoyed Curves when I went. They moved and changed ownership and I'm not sure if I would still like it. I do need to check it out though! The gyms here are geared to 23 year olds :)
I'm laughing at Teresa's comment about the 23 year olds! That just scares me to death!!!! It's been many moons since I was 23!
LOL
Joanie

tesschap
08-21-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm laughing at Teresa's comment about the 23 year olds! That just scares me to death!!!! It's been many moons since I was 23!
LOL
Joanie

It's true! They get manicures, pedicures, and tan before they workout! Even my boys - who are 23 and 25 - stopped going to the local gyms. It's been a while since I was 23 too - a good long while :)

MidwestStamper
08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
I belong to Curves now and I like it because I feel very comfortable going there since it's all women. Most of the women are my age (50) and older. I feel that the resistance machines give a good workout, but it is repetative (I've belonged for 3 years and am still fine with the circuit).

iloveflipflops
08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I did not like Curves when I went. For some reason, I gained inches ... yep gained inches. Well what fun is that? So after 4 months I quit plus I did get bored with it but that was just me.

Gyms - I hate them!!! I would rather be fat. There I sad it!! I just hate to exercise with any kind of exercise equipment. HA HA Oh well.

Now I will walk miles and miles - love to walk - just need to get motivated to do it. I think I will go out tomorrow morning before it gets 102 degrees again.

workin4stamps
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I prefer the regular old gym. I have just learned to ignore the other people there. Tonight we went, and there was this guy there that was SO buff, it was scary. It was just us (two fat people) and him. In my head I go through what they might be thinking about me, but you know, I've decided that I really don't care. I'm there right? So I just do my thing and listen to my Ipod and not worry.

The other thing I didn't like about the Curves (at least where I am) is they don't have any cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical, etc). I need my cardio. If I only had a little to lose, or just needed to maintain, I could get by on their circuit.....but not with as much as I have to lose. I try to do at least 1/2 hour of cardio every day when I go to the gym on top of all my weights.

It really all boils down to what you like and feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Traci

teabear
08-22-2007, 12:42 AM
My curves has an eliptical and when I was going I did the circuit for 1/2 hour and the eliptical for 1/2 hour. It was great, but I took the summer off.....now I'm fat and going back to curves when school starts next week.

I don't think it matters where you go, Joanie, as long as you go on a regular basis. Choose something you are comfortable with and that you want to do. I miss my workout buddies.

Kreative Dryve
08-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I have never tried curves, so I can't give you my opinion on that.
But I do belong to a gym now, I am still rehabing my shoulder injury and the
insurance company is buying my membership. Yeah! I used to go to the gym all the time in my 20's too, like the other comment. :D

I love it! I do my arms/upper body on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.
Then on Tues/Thurs I do my legs/lower body. All five days I do cardio, and work the abs (need the most help here).

I live in a pretty small town and know most of the people that belong to the gym, they are always helpful with questions about some of the strange looking machines.

Some of the really good gyms will be helpful too. They should have a trainer show you all the equipment, and to get you started.
The people should be helpful no matter your size or activity level, I bet they would think it's cool your working out.

Give it a try! You'll be amazed how easy and fun it is, plus it makes you feel great.

I just wish this gym had a pool like my old one. :wacko:

~MJ